We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Stand Up: A Professional Guide To Comedy Magic- New Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2576 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I'm pleased to say that Ian Keable has finally published the book he's been promising.

As far as I'm aware it's the only book that directly addresses the work of the stand up comedy magic act and I'm pleased to say that Ian's done a fantastic job with it.

Any review I give will probably be seen as biased as Ian is a very good friend of mine but I really do recommend you check it out either (at the time of making this post) here or for sure here, or better still buy it.

Here's the ad copy:
"Ever wanted to make that leap from entertaining a few people to several hundred? Ever wanted to make your audience laugh so much that they remember you as much for your comedy as your magic? Ever wanted to earn your living as a stand-up?

What do Mac King, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, John Carney, David Williamson and The Amazing Johnathan have in common?

Answer:
They are all brilliant stand-up comedy magicians.
They were all voted as one of the top ten Funniest Acts in Magic Today today in a recent issue of MAGIC magazine.
They are all featured in Stand-Up, A Professional Guide To Comedy Magic.
Stand-Up looks in detail at the performance skills which these, and other top comedy magicians, have used in order to bring them to the top of their profession. Methods which you too can apply to improve your own stand-up act; or indeed make that leap from entertaining a few to an audience of several hundred.

Just some of the subjects covered in this step-by-step manual are:
Finding your character.
The underlying techniques of audience participation.
The crucial difference between ‘lines’ and ‘jokes’.
The five ways to S-C-R-A-P all unfunny lines.
Refining patter with the use of call backs, topping the gag, converting laughter to magic etc.
Selecting the right assistants and using them correctly.
Structuring an act.
Coping with heckling and ‘dying the death’ on stage.
How to find work and earn a living from Stand-up.
288 pages of solid advice, 16 pages of photographs of the world’s top stand-ups, hardback with Dust jacket – this is a book you must have if you are serious about being funny with your magic.

The author, Ian Keable, is a Member of the Inner Magic Circle. He has won the British Magical Champion of Comedy. He has made numerous appearances on television with his comedy magic and has worked at the Magic Castle.

Ian has written two books for the general public on magic and was also the first editor of the well-respected OPUS magic magazine.

At present Ian is touring his one man show in the UK called Conjuring Up Comedy, where he is putting into practise everything which is in this book.

"You have done well to create a practical book rather than the usual intellectual studies that, in truth, do not further the art of laughter at all. I really enjoyed visiting other acts and studying how they have created what they do. Thank you for bringing them to life in your pages." -- Paul Daniels, top TV magician

"This book takes all the guessing out of how to become a complete comedy magician. I am pleased and proud to be included with all these great comic performers!" -- Michael Finney, top US stand-up

"Invaluable reading for anyone with an interest in becoming a better comedy performer - or a better performer of any kind for that matter." -- Andrew O'Connor, top TV producer

"The advice in your book is excellent, anybody aspiring to be a stand-up magician will gain a huge amount from it." -- Noel Britten, top UK stand-up

"In stand-up you are either going well or struggling, there isn't much gray area. Ian's book stormed it!" -- Pete Firman, top UK stand-up

"You were really funny and I laughed my face off." -- Levent, top US stand-up"

Enjoy,

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the info. I will look in to it because it combines magic with comedy. So he already knows what I am specifically looking for.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Sounds like a great book with a LOT of good information in it. Should be a fun read.

Mark. Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Looks very interesting. Thks for mentioning the book
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2576 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
John Archer, who has just received The Magic Circle's 'Stage Magician of the Year' award, gives a review of this book.

Check it out by clicking on this link then click on the 'reviews' section on the left of the page and then on 'books'.

Cheers Neal.
Neal Austin

Ian Keable
View Profile
New user
London, England
16 Posts

Profile of Ian Keable
Thank you to Neal for mentioning my new book. It's actually available from several US dealers including H & R Magic Books, Stevens Magic, Denny & Lee Magic Studio and Hank Lee at a price of $45.

If anyone wants to check out its contents, together with the foreword and first chapter, then have a look at my website page Stand-up Comedy Magic Book.
Ian Keable
Author of Stand-Up, A Professional Guide to Comedy Magic
Available for sale at http://www.iankeable.co.uk
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I got my copy on Monday. Just flicked through to a couple of sections so far as not had the chance to sit down and have a proper read. From what I read up to now, the information is well presented in a 'to the point' manner. Looks like an easy and very informative read. Can't wait to get stuck into it.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
... also had a very good review in Magicseen...
Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Ordered it Friday, received it Saturday!

Certainly looks a good and involving read.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
If you have to read a book on how to be funny then you're probably not funny...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 19:12, Jerskin wrote:

Books about comedy will not teach you to be funny. But if you're naturally funny, books about comedy will teach you how to hone what you have into being successful on stage. Being funny and performing stand-up comedy (or comedy magic) are two completely different beasts.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2576 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Jerskin is is probably correct in saying that if you have to read a book about being funny then you're probably not funny. But then that's one of the reasons for the book. Not necessarily to turn a non funny performer into a funny performer but to show how comedy and humour can be introduced into one's stand up act to what ever degree an individual performer is capable of acheiving. Of course there are some people that are naturally funny without having to try but there are others who, as Brian mentioned in his post above, have the potential to be funny to some degree and this book more than another resource out there will give them the wherewithall to harness their abilities.

More than that though there are those (probably the vast majority of hobbyists and amateur performers) who are somewhat of a neutral palete when it comes to comedy and while they may never be truely comedic personalities they have the chance at least to make the most of their performing ability by applying the insights that Ian has to offer in his book.

So although funamentally I agree with Greg (Jerskin) that funny guys are funny guys.... I also believe that there is a spectrum of comedy and whereever you lie on it ian's book will help guide you further along it towards the funny end.

Cheers Neal.
Neal Austin

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Greg -

Following that argument one could say "if you have to buy Greg Otto's DVD 'New Routines for Comedy Magic' to learn how to be funny then you're not funny" ?

I think the book is more about how to structure a comedy act etc moreover how to "be" funny?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
But I'm not trying to teach anyone to "be" funny.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I don't think the book is either?
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 19:12, Jerskin wrote:

Not only did Michael Finney read this book he is now helping Ian sell the book because he liked it so much.
Was he funny before he read it.??????????

Todd
DavidLynn
View Profile
New user
Rural Victoria, Aus-(Oz)-tralia
43 Posts

Profile of DavidLynn
I bought a course called "How to be funny". I bought it just for a laugh.

Welllll.....

I learnt heaps. Sure it was a full on dissection of humour in its various elements but this underlying knowledge has helped me enourmously in understanding the "psych" in people that makes them laugh.

This led me to another course by Steve Roye - the killer comedy system. This guy taught me a system of turning common funny dialog into absolute killer routines.

Two courses with different approach's.

What I want to say is that one can learn funny from a book. My act has definitely benefited from these books. Kinda like reading our comments here in the Café teaches/enhances our thought.

Jerskin, I'm not having a go at you here mate. Simply showing a perspective....
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
David,
I agree with you here, but I think the point that gets missed when this subject comes up is in what way are you funny. Not all comedy works with magic and some simply can’t pull it off, they try but they can’t.
I had the honor of reviewing Ian book for a friend of mine and I can tell you this much. He lays it out for the stand-up magician he covers what to do and what not to do when doing stand-up magic.

I do agree that there are lines, systems, courses that can teach you the basic frame work of delivering humor that will get laughs. The mechanics of comedy is something that is very different then telling a few jokes to your friends, or being the life of the party. It has been my experience that sometimes those folks who think they are funny when facing an audience and a structured routine are not funny at all. Yet they can build the skills necessary to deliver the punch at the correct time by following a system or reading a book like Ian. So in essences one can learn to be funny.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
colin underwood
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of colin underwood
I take my hat off to anybody who tries to attempt to disect a subject that is based so much on a natural feel. I have not read the book but based on the contents list, the topics will be of great interest to all levels of performer. The long time pro will recognise what he has been doing naturally based on trial and error and the relative newcomer to magic should read it as well even if he or she isn't into comedy, Know the principles of comedy will enhace anybodies act because there are basics which are an integral part of any performance. Take for instance character development which is covered in the book. This is another big topic which if you have a grasp of the basics will help. Entertaining magicains all use time tested principles, comedy is just using some of these principles and exagerating them.

I will be ordering my copy asap.
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
QUESTION: WHY DON'T CANNIBALS EAT CLOWNS?
ANSWER: BECAUSE THEY TASTE FUNNY!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Stand Up: A Professional Guide To Comedy Magic- New Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL