The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The "R" word: recession (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Who has been working long enough in the birthday market to remember what happened to the business during the last recession? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3495 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The “R” word recession,
has never been in my vocabulary,
and I’ve supppsedly lived and performed through more than a few.

These “R” words however,
can be of great service to you in these times:
--Rethink
--Retool
--Rebound
--Rebuild
--Recover

My Thoughts,
Walt
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
However positive your thoughts - and you'll need them if you are to maintain your business - you can't succeed by being an ostrich and sticking your head in the sand.

The last one hit the UK in the late 80s and early 90s. The one before that was the mid 70s through to the early 80s. That was really tough.

What happens? People stop spending money. Simple as that. The economy slows which puts more people out of work and it has a spiralling effect.

If you are just in children's birthday party market work you will find the diary not so full. There are always people with money in all stratas of society. But the most will be found in the up-market areas.

You need an up-market show to gain that business. Cut the filth, the cheap bodily functions gags and move fast before you find yourself overtaken by a rush of others, similarly looking for work.

Ensure your show is clean and classy and that you look and sound up-market. In the UK, how you dress and how you speak is very important in that strata of society. Doesn't matter down market so much but down market is the first area to suffer from recession.

For that reason monitor your enquiries. Check where people are living. Soon as you detect a lack of enquiries from the poor areas, you know the recession is starting to bite. Keep monitoring and watch as it bites in the middle class areas. If by then you are not pulling more from the up-market areas, you are going to see a potential falling away of your base business.

It always happens like this and you have to do as Walt suggests. Remember, a recession is curtains for some people.

But in adversity there are always opportunities for the quick thinker.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, gentlemen. It's not here yet but seems to be on its way.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We just spoke about this very subject at length over the weekend at tricky business, and the overwelming conclusion is that the recession as we know it does not exist, so don't worry be happy.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You have to be hungry enough to get up and take direct action to find your success. Recession or no recession, this aspect of business never changes. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In good times and bad times, some businesses will thrive and some will fail. The key is to become one that thrives. Study, action, and even attitude are involved in that process.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Awww Donald brings up a good point. The issue of attitude I feel is a huge one. So many people think and dwell on the negative and on the worries associated with bad or troubled times. This hinders progress. Instead keep on looking forward and have a good attitude towards things. Great point Donald.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Informative posting, Tony.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Donald and Tony are both so right. You can't ignore reality,
times are more challenging. Ramp up your business thinking on
all levels. Go the extra mile. Take more action. Stay focused
and enthusiastic.

There is indeed opportunity in chaos. These times won't last
forever, business cycles turn around.

Dedicate yourself to being one of those left standing.

--J
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
All the cheery answers are wonderful but I think some people are either full of it or living in la-la land.

Here in the Boston area we have been hit HARD. With lay offs and downsizing the unemployment rate is going through the roof. The middle class (my bread and butter) has been really nailed hard. Companies are not having Christmas parties, birthday parties are WAY down, it's pretty bad here.

My December as well as those of all the guys on my rung of the ladder is off by 40% from last year. Not only that but the other small business owners in my networking group that do trade with corporate clients are down by the same number. I asked the guy who runs my local Pizza shop and he quoted the exact same percentage.

Part timers may not feel the same pinch as they work fewer shows, but here in Boston the recession is in full bloom and has been for some time.

My friends who work for people who have more money have not been hit as hard, but everybody has noticed the change. That's about as honest an answer as it seems you are going to find here.

Sadly, I was not a full timer during the last recession so I can't comment.

I do know it will get better, it always does, I just wish I knew when.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Everytime, there is a change of president, my clients change. During martial law, my clients were mostly the military personnel (from sargeants to generals). In others, lawyers, politicians and their families, in another president, I got mostly Chinese clients. And the best clients were the gambling lords.
There will also be a class who will be earning from a recession. So look for them as your target market.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
In times like these you have to be prepared when you do this for a living.

I know that I am still getting work but it has slowed down. Still, I have loyal clients and I know how to make my phone ring.

We have to do what the car lots are doing...market more.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I sincerely feel for guys who are out there on the front line, sort of speak, and performing magic for a living. I'll admit I just never had the guts to do this.

If you've heard the news yesterday then I'm sure you heard about the 533,000 job that were lost here in the US "just in November." I think this is just the tip of the ice berg and that we're in for a real rough ride unlike other recessions.

I think the only thing you can do is try and keep a positive outlook and as Todd said, just market more. I would assume, though, that your competition is also doing the same thing just to stay alive.

Gerry
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Over here we have the credit crunch. It's very tasty with a little brown sugar and a splash of milk.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4622 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The most dangerous thing is to "sit tight". My solution to the "credit crunch" has been to invest in my shows, and to bring them up to a higher standard than ever. As a result, I'm getting more bookings and enquiries than ever. I also have a new character (actually one of my old characters brought up to date) in the offing, and will be presenting science shows aimed at reinforcing the school syllabus for "O" level and "A" level science subjects. My shows will include comedy magic which demonstrates scientific concepts, which will hopefully help students to grasp some of the more elusive topics in the curriculum.
My plan is to take this show to schools, though initially I'll be promoting the shows through science fairs and the like. There is always a way to find work, it's just a question of creating something unique that guarantees you'll get some of it.....
Just my 2c.
Potty Smile
cameroncando
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of cameroncando
I am not saying that there is no recession because it is there and I do have friends that have been hit hard both in magic and out.

But I make my living with magic and only magic and my holiday shows are up higher this year compared to last and I raised my prices to boot.

So I think it depends on your market and area.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I don't think the "recession" has really set in mentally on most average people yet. People are still burying heads and pretending things are ok... people are still driving a huge SUV when its just them and in the city in an sunny year round area where no one ever needs 4x4...but I guess a Hummvee makes up for lack in other areas... Smile

I think we are just starting to see the bad times and that things will get worse before they get better.

I think people will tighten when it comes to entertainment... when people are lacking money and fearful, I cant see them spending on birthday parties.

I do think it is a time for street performers to make out... people seem more loose when it comes to tossing a five for a 20 min street show...

Buskers made out very well in past recessions/depressions.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2288 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 23:54, mmreed wrote:
Buskers made out very well in past recessions/depressions.

The movie business is doing well also and always has during recessions. There are always opportunities. Also, consider how falling gas prices are helping the economic climate. Things have a way of balancing out.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Well, I know that things are better off for me now.. lower gas prices, still working..

Recession - pfft... just means the high brow wealthy took a dip in the markets...

Wonder when the gov will offer a magician bailout package... I mean heck.. bankers...autoworkers... magicians!!!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The "R" word: recession (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL