The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Outs for problem with Gary Ouellet's Gypsy Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello everybody,

Even though this effect is not only a close up trick but aswell suited for the stage, I'll post my question under this "thread".
It's now already two times in three years that I've had a problem at the end of presenting Gary Ouellet's Gypsy Thread : The string ball doesn't open correctly and I got a little knot.
Doing this to music it left me a little bit "stupid" when the music ends and the string is not undone.
What are your outs when presenting this effect having the same little problem ?
I know, that a lot depend on the time taken for the good preperation of the trick, but I'm looking for outs in the presentation if this happens.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Oliver.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You may need to learn another way to wind it. Check other versions. Maybe you are using wrong kind of thread? Is is "basting thread" ???
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
That's an interesting question Oliver. I switched over to Gary Ouellets thread some years ago because I've found it doesn't tend to knot like other thread, I luv the stuff, visual under light or not. So I guess it can happen. If any more experienced performers here on the Café can offer an out, I certainly would lov to know as well.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Pete,

To answer your question : For the moment I use basting thread with special lighting sue to budget issues.
I know that this kind of thread isn't perfect, but I wonder what someone could say or do if this effect goes wrong at the end.

Oliver.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Look for Marconick's way to wind it. Kinda like a figure eight over your fingertips.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

The current issue of the Linking Ring (Marc DeSouza cover) has a handling of the Gypsy Thread that Marc uses. Lonnie Chevrie's handling is great, as well.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Quote:
On 2008-10-14 07:23, Oliver Ross wrote:
It's now already two times in three years that I've had a problem at the end of presenting Gary Ouellet's Gypsy Thread

Trying to be specific to understand the question: do you talk about Ouellet's "routine" or Ouellet's "special UV thread"? If it is the first, a better choice in the thread could solve the problem, if it is the latter (as I understand it), you might look for other set-up or for outs from people who already use it.

BTW, I was thinking about buying a spool of it. Do you recommend it? And does it make a difference with "standard" thread under stage light even if it is not UV light?

Many thanks,
Jonathan.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you for all your suggestions. Just to specify my question : I'm talking about the presentation and not about the choice of the string and or it's preparation.
I mean, even if I would use the recommanded choice of string (Elite UV string from the Camirand Academy) and being very careful in the preparation it could still happen that I might have a knot at the end in the string.
The same if I would change the preparation of the string and use another one, than the one described by Gary Ouellet in his booklet.

I hope you understand better now, what I mean. I'm searching for presentational outs if something goes wrong during the presentation. What to do in front of the audience at this particular moment ? What could I say ?

Thank you very much again for your help.

Oliver.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
If you don't have this DVD, check it out. It's a great resource for your problem.

World’s Greatest Magic - Gypsy Thread DVD: The Hindu Thread Trick (Daryl /Al Baker), Gypsy Thread
(Geoffrey Buckingham); Gypsy Thread (Bob Read); Torn and Restored Flash Thread (Henry Evans)
The Gypsy Thread - Street Style (Cellini); Shakespearean Thread, performance only (Eugene Burger)
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Must buy the World’s Greatest Magic - Gypsy Thread DVD
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Never had any problem with "figure 8" done on the finger tips...
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
Review Eugene's Burger methods in Spirit Theater. His winding method is simple and consistent. I've just ordered the Canadian thread based on Mr. Burger's recommendations. Hopefully will arrive next week and we'll see how it compares.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Outs for problem with Gary Ouellet's Gypsy Thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL