We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Of all the Hold Outs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2416 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
There are now about 5 great Hold Outs available, Fitch Kohler, Vernet, Black Widow, Trabuca, I hope I spelled that right , and more, who has the best and why. Also who sells what.
georgeiglesias
View Profile
New user
Miami USA
96 Posts

Profile of georgeiglesias
You should consider the Super ******** Hold Out of Mr. Daba too.

Here the description.

The Super-M-Hold Out is a version of the holdout, that will allow you to do many things.

Mr. DABA from Argentina came up with this concept a lot of years ago, and the success of his applications have been proved by laymen and magicians too.

It is powerful enough to use on shimmed cards, coins, lighters, etc.This system of Hold-Out have do not use a complicated system.

The main difference here is that it it really easy and fast to install or uninstall in your jacket, and that instead of the usual grip at the end you have a nice gimmick that will suck and returns everything to your hands in just a second avoiding all the classic dirty moves.

Comes with a DVD with great uses and idea, a special gimmick card and the Super-M Hold Out system

You can find it at TwisterMagic
Receive Best Regards.

George Iglesias.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Super M Hold Out by Mr. Daba is a nice hold-out.

I would suggest you also check out "The Invisible Hand (3 DVD set) by Michel". This is a modified basic Miller Holdout with good potential and with varied applications.

I would say, if you have the 'Super M Hold Out' and 'The Invisible Hand', I think they are more than enough for one to perform a variety of effects using a hold-out. Both come with their respective DVDs & are great teaching aids.

You can get both for about 200 - 250 bucks and then select the best features of both hold-outs & combine them into one - The one you will be proud of.

I can't comment on the more expensive hold-outs like the much talked about Fitch-Kohler Hold-out.

Just my opinion. Smile Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1806 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Antonio Romeros perfect holdout beats Super M by miles in my book. Super M is pretty much just Miller Holdout with magnet... What makes Romero best, of the under 1000$ holdouts, is that it requires smaller movements than any other holdout out there due to its construction.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I tried a lot of them ( not the fitch ) I like the jack miller still
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
My mate like the invisible hand very much. For myself, after seeing Antonio Romeros's Perfect Holdout and performance clips I will go for the Perfect Holdout.
Visit Antonio's website for more detail.

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Antonio Romero's Perfect Holdout is also a very good prop. I have it, tried it & worked with it. Personally, some how, I was not as comfortable with Antonio's hold-out as I am with the good old Miller Holdout (of course suitably modified to my needs). I have never been comfortable with the so called smaller movement. Well others may like the Antonio's hold-out better than the rest, but it was not for me. Smile

As I have said in my previous post, select the best features of both hold-outs (super-M & Invisible Hand) & combine them into one (as a prop as well as the applications taught on the DVDs) to have one of the finest hold-outs ever - Good, cheap, practical & effective.

Just my opinion! Smile Smile

Smile
P.S. Do a search at the Café and you will find many topics on Hold-outs. They will tell you all you need to know. Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2416 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
There are so many to choose from and too expensive to buy several, I really want one, but which one, Black Widow, Vernet,Antonio Romero's ,Fitch....So many post's,but no real comparisons/
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
The one that I use is that of Victor Trabucco ... available this one for the sale in http://www.elmwoodmagic.com and I believe its uses a very good method , it comes with a dvd with very good routines and with one or two months of practice you can do things that looks like real magic. When a magician visits the restaurant where I work always I use the trabucco holdout with an excellent reaction. Because of it my vote goes for the Trabucco Hold Out!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1037 Posts

Profile of bsears
The type of hold out best for you would probably depend on what you need it for and what your restrictions are. (there is no "best" overall, imo)
magicparis
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicparis
The question I have is with the Perfect Holdout. If you are attached in order to vanish a coin. What happens to the gimmick when you are don't need it. What I mean is I would do a 3CM routine with productions, vanishes and not require it. I certainly do not want it falling into view or interfering with the routine. I would like to use it perhaps at the end to ditch the final stacked coin. Any suggestions before a purchase is made?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
You've got a jacket pocket?
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I own/have owned the invisible hand, Super-M, Black Widow, Perfect holdout and the Fitch/Kohler offering.

Out of all of them my favourite is the perfect holdout (due to the ingenious ratio switch) combined with the invisible hand attachment for control in the hand. So, a combination of two.

Although the FKH was good I preferred the movement and ease of using the combo above, and together they are still about a tenth of the price of the FKH.

I did like the Fitch DVD as it goes into a lot of detail on using the gimmick and offers in depth performance tips but think that the new invisible hand DVDs give you a tonne of information too, for much less money.

The Super-M is a good, cheap holdout that works, but doesn't offer the same flexibility as my combined setup. Mr Daba's routines are very polished and he teaches well.

The Black Widow is awkward and in my view restrictive in terms of how it can be used.

So in summary, I wouldn't pay again for the FKH or Black Widow - I sold both. I would pay for the Perfect + Invisible hand and combine the elements. I would also have the Super-M as a simple backup.

So, at last a comparison from someone who has used the various types in working situations.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2979 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks Andi, your post was very helpful. What do you think of the separate Invisible Hand Holdout they offer with the DVD?? Would you recommend buying it or making it?
Thanks
DP
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-10-18 11:49, Andi Peters wrote:
I own/have owned the invisible hand, Super-M, Black Widow, Perfect holdout and the Fitch/Kohler offering.

* Although the FKH was good I preferred the movement and ease of using the combo above, and together they are still about a tenth of the price of the FKH.

* I did like the Fitch DVD as it goes into a lot of detail on using the gimmick and offers in depth performance tips but think that the new invisible hand DVDs give you a ton of information too, for much less money.

* The Super-M is a good, cheap holdout that works, but doesn't offer the same flexibility as my combined setup. Mr Daba's routines are very polished and he teaches well.

* The Black Widow is awkward and in my view restrictive in terms of how it can be used.

* So in summary,

I wouldn't pay again for the FKH or Black Widow - I sold both.

I would pay for the Perfect + Invisible hand and combine the elements. I would also have the Super-M as a simple backup.

So, at last a comparison from someone who has used the various types in working situations.

Thanks for your opinion. It was very much helpful.

As for the FKH & Black Widow:-

I had bought Black Widow at a bargain price at the Café's Buy-n-Sell. Tried & tested it & then got rid of it at the same price I had bought - It wasn't for me.

As for the FKH, I felt it was too expensive + surrounded with secrecy + binding you with various legal clauses. Probably FKH was meant for the highly celebrated known professionals. Smile

And now after reading your post, I feel happy that I took the right decision.

Thanks Andi.

Smile
hefemexy
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
All I can say is the perfect holdout is Perfect and I have found a way to lock it, I made my own lil lock system when don't want it to be in play
Okay, I give up what was your card?

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I like the Black Widow wile I think it does need a bit of improvement and as it is has a limited use I still would not sell mine.

The Perfect holdout on the other hand (no pun intended) is a work of art and was like the one I had made myself but far superior to mine in craftsmanship. If the PH had been made by someone like J. Riser, it would have been 5 times the price and not a bit better and you would have to wait for ever for one if he like you and he did just kiss it good by. Adding the attachments from the Invisible Hand truly completes it and the IH DVDs are a welcome asset to anyone that uses or is thinking about using a Holdout.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
Years ago my brother showed me a film of a lecture by an old New York guy named Jack Miller who had a homemade holdout that didn't look like much but in his hands it made miracles.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 19:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
Years ago my brother showed me a film of a lecture by an old New York guy named Jack Miller who had a homemade holdout that didn't look like much but in his hands it made miracles.
I wish I could see that film! Most of the holdouts being discussed are modifications of the Miller Hold-out.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
afuoco
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
206 Posts

Profile of afuoco
Tom,

You can see old footage of Jack Miller in a DVD called "Jack Miller's Hold out Miracles" but I wouldn't recommend it. It can't compare to watching Michael Vernet perform with the hold out in the Invisible Hand DVDs.

Dave,
I have owned all of them except the Fitch/Kohler and Andi Peters is 100% correct. Get the Perfect Holdout and the Vernet Invisible 3 DVD set. That all you need. Watch the Vernet DVDs and apply the Vernet techniques using the Perfect Holdout. This will require some adjustment in the props in order to adapt it to the magnetic method of the Perfect holdout. This way you are using the best physical hold-out and applying the best techniques to make it look smooth. It will take a significant amount of practice to achieve the smoothness of Michael Vernet. You could also buy the accessory kit from Vernet and adapt the props to the PH.

The paragraph above represent 10 years of experience of off-and-on use of the hold-out.

You can lock the perfect holdout with a steel flat-washer the size of a quarter. Paint it the same color as your jacket and hold it (outside) against the upper sleeve of your jacket.

Finally, it must be said that mixing a lot of effects where the hold-out is in and out is not practical. You should put all the hold-out effects together and then lock it out if you have some non-hold out effects to do. Or do the non-hold out effects first and then changeover to the hold-out effects to the end.

Hope this helps

Arnie
Arnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Of all the Hold Outs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL