The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Literally have nothing! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
I always carry around something simple and quick like a TT or dime and penny.Smile
<BR>Mikey M.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17851 Posts

Profile of Slim King
COFFEE BREAK ... can be done with whatever is in the break room. Mind Reading. Predictions. Psychic Bonding Smile
All under 15 minutes.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
152 Posts

Profile of papercrane
X finger at http://www.papercranemagic.com all you need is a hand
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
Magnetic fingers.
The hypnotism test.
To have influence over someone with just your voice is a powerful thing.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17851 Posts

Profile of Slim King
ROSHAMBO !!!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Back in the day when I was in JROTC we were helping vets play bingo. They found out I did magic and asked me to do a show. Not having my "equipment" I borrowed stuff and did a thirty minute show. Got a couple of bookings out of that.
The important thing is read all you can about magic. You can put on a show with borrowed items.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hi team,, I still use the first magic trick I was shown at school age 14.You place a coin on each upturned palm,place your hands face down the table or the ground ,ask them what the two coins add up to,lift the empty hand first to show the vanish,reveal the two coins under the other hand.Iknow its a simple trick but at age 47 I stillvalue this little gem.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I just had an idea,(I love it when that happens)if they really wan't to see a spur of the moment thing,ask for one of their shoe lasses and one of their finger rings and go into Greg Wilson's Ring Leader.Empty pockets is not a problem but my typing speed IS.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
There are a few things you can carry all the time in your pockets that do not use a lot of space. In the past I was caught off guard from time to time, but now I carry at least one or two decks of cards, four or five sponge balls and a TT. And when I'm wearing a big jacket I include either an invisible deck or, lately, bikes trilogy.

And the main reason why I carry those thongs with me all the time has turned to be not impromptu magic, but the fact that my magic has gotten much better lately because I get to practice a lot during my normal day, even when I teach at the university I sometimes take out a sponge ball and start disappearing it just for the fun of doing it and not telling my students what I’m doing. Obviously some of them notice its magic and start asking for more. Then I say I was just practicing and keep doing what I was doing.

Best regards,

Giovanni.
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
I have carried a pocket knife for years. Since I got out of school, I haven't left the house without one hardly. So for me color changing knives is a natural to have on me at all times. I carry the gimmick in my right pocket and the non gimmick in my left. A few minutes of entertainment right at my fingertips.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Quarter vanishes and appears under my watch twice. Under their watch the 3rd time. Simple & effective! 2 quarters!!!!
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
When you really and truly have nothing, well practiced sleight of hand will allow you to use ANYTHING at your immediate disposal.

Skim over some different prop moves in "Now You See It, Now You Don't," by Bill Tarr.
Study some vanishes and reappearances, and be able to do as many invisible transfers as necessary.

This way, small chit chat with a bic pen, or a coin/token/rock/stick off the ground/key/cell phone/glasses/tic tac case/ID or CC/bottlecap can amaze for as long as you need.

Don't plan for something specific. Learn the material that is versatile and will let you improv on the spot with ANYTHING you can manipulate.

Just my $0.02
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
255 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
First off, don't be a puppet. Don't let magic be a crutch for a lack of personality or self-esteem. You shouldn't have to resort to magic as a substitute for communication. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I'd rather not perform at the moment." It's not like they're going walk away thinking your magic must not be real 'cause you couldn't do something on the spot. There should be 0 pressure for you to perform anything. Don't feel as if you have to prove yourself.

If I do decide to entertain, I gather some coins, a pen, and I'm off to the races. Coins are always at hand! If I don't have ANYTHING material, then I'll do equivoque or hypnosis.
k13pt0maniac
View Profile
New user
Brownsville, Texas
92 Posts

Profile of k13pt0maniac
If you truly don't have anything on you and can't borrow anything, then use a line to get out of it... a very nice one that I heard from Thomas Medina was something along the lines of: "You know, I do this for a living. So, asking me to do a trick is like asking a hooker for a freebie." It gets a laugh, and then you can just walk away or say that you'll show them something later.

But as mentioned before, we should always have something in our pockets to do something on the spot. Not necessarily a magic prop, but common, every day things; change, cell phone, keys, bills, etc...

-Abe
-Abe a.k.a. C3rb3rus
koh
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of koh
"Caught off guard," huh?

May I recommend Steve Fearson's Goodbye Vanish? Smile
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Hey, guys, it happens. Sometimes, you just have nothing. So saying, "Just make sure you always have something," doesn't answer the question.
If there are objects about, use them, obviously (the equivocal force was a great suggestion). Use what the asker has; if they have nothing, then go mental. No, not crazy, but mental tricks.
There are many books on impromptu magic. "Lifesavers" is great if it is still in print. So, you may be able to use what is around you.
Betcha's can be magical. That old "think of a number from 1-10, x's it by 9...etc., and why are you thinking of an Orange Kangaroo in Denmark" still gets a jaw drop.
Docc Hilford has a great subliminal experiment using the numbers 1-2-3-4.
Get "101 Method's of Forcing," it's not all card stuff.
Number/Math magic (low level that doesn't need paper, pencils calculators).
There is stuff to do if you absolutely have nothing, so saying be sure to always have something negates the question.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
One I have been doing for years is to take out the coins in my pocket. Look through the coins on an open palm and say, "I use this quarter (or whatever coin you choose)." I pretend to take the coin and pocket the remainder to my pocket. I then pretend to put the coin into the other hand, blow on it and slowly open the hand to show the coin has vanished.

It has NEVER failed to get a strong reaction. Best impromptu effect when you have nothing on you to do.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Literally have nothing! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL