The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Literally have nothing! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
What is sad about having rubberbands? I always always have rubber bands on my wrist. They have gotten compliments because they are part of my style. Occationally when someone compliments them I say that they have magic properties and then I do my routine. Other times I just say "thanks"
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
You might be the kind of guy to say, "No magic in me today," but I am. Smile One thing I have been playing around lately, just testing on and off on friends have been magic square variants. So if I were in a situation, where I had nothing on me to perform with, and I was not in a position to say no, I'd probably fashion out something with that.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-11-06 15:46, scaevola wrote:
What is sad about having rubberbands? I always always have rubber bands on my wrist. They have gotten compliments because they are part of my style. Occationally when someone compliments them I say that they have magic properties and then I do my routine. Other times I just say "thanks"

It was just my opinion. If it works for you then great.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
854 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I always think ahead when I leave the house. If there's a chance I'll be challenged, I'll slip something in my pocket, say, elastic bands, Holy Moley, or the 3 card trick (they all fit into my "normal" wallet. Failing that, there's always the "finger trick" stuff.
The main thing about being an "impromptu" magician is - being prepared to be impromptu.

Good luck..

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
854 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Josh,

Are you SERIOUS? Magic Square? They ask you for a quick trick, and you ask them to fill in numbers? Are you MAD? or - am I not getting this?

Hmm..

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
liampower
View Profile
Regular user
australia
187 Posts

Profile of liampower
Quote:
On 2008-10-14 15:50, The Naked Magician wrote:
Fellow magic people
whats the best thing to do, when your strolling down the road in your ideal world, the sun is scorching down,

come on we all know that the sun never scorches down in the UK so you wont have this problem. But when this happens I normaly borrow some coins and do a coins across
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5718 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I've done paying gigs with impromptu stuff....

Seriously.

Sometimes its more impressive to have nothing on you and perform with other people's stuff.

Almost like what "Real" Magic would be...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2509 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 09:48, knibby wrote:
Kent would be perfect. Especially coupled with the ideas given by Sean Waters in his e-book, Ponderings (his version is known as K?nt.) With Sean's variation you are able to name the value of a playing card that the spectator only thinks of. Good stuff.

Thanks,
Knibby

Knibby,

Thanks so much for the mention. My routine does work as described, but requires a pre-requisite knowledge of the KENT routine. However, my "Red Handed" psychological (playing card) force works reliably and requires nothing but you and your participant's mind.

I also have an "impromptu" mind reading effect that uses just a dollar bill and your mind, called "Illuminati". It will be in my next ebook "Contemplations". There are no switches, secret reading or any other standard "ploy". It is purely mental, but you will always end with some powerful impromptu mind reading. It works by someone pulling out their own dollar bill and you just amaze them, you will honestly never touch it. All true! I have been using this for some time (I save it for special moments). This came about as I just wanted to create a pure mind effect with a bill, which met my desired goals. However, this is also a magician fooler (even though it wasn't intended to be). I actually created this prior to the dollar bill effect in Ponderings. I just didn't want to tip it yet. The truth is, it is hard for me to explain how it works, it just does. Smile

All of these effects are real mind influence and mind reading. To find out more follow the link on my signature. Information on my site about "Contemplations" will be added within a month or so.

Regards,

Sean
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2008-11-08 19:07, deadcatbounce wrote:
Josh,

Are you SERIOUS? Magic Square? They ask you for a quick trick, and you ask them to fill in numbers? Are you MAD? or - am I not getting this?

Hmm..

DCB

You'll also notice that before I said that, I indicated that I more than likely would not end up doing anything at all whatsoever. I can hammer off a 3x3 square in less than 10 seconds and a 5x5 in about 15. Seems impromtpu and quick enough to me.

Then again, as I mentioned, I will more than likely not end up doing anything (besides 'absolutely nothing' does mean 'absolutely nothing')
trevelyan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of trevelyan
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 21:03, ViperXMagic wrote:
How about a thumb tip....... it does not take a lot of space in your pocket and you can even go swimming with it and be able to do magic almost naked in the pool if you have too. My opinion is that the thumb tip is the best props. for on the fly, think you got me magic.

ViperX

Does someone make a good thumb tip that actually fits and doesn't look deceptive? All the ones I have tried stick out, well, like a soar thumb.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5718 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
ViperXMagic said that with a TT in a Pool, almost naked, we can still do Magic...

That there is a trick I would like to see...

Especially if performed by Angela Funovits...

I believe it can be done, but that is just something I'd like to see...

Mmmm.... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
If you must perform something, how about a 10 count with whatever is close by?

This has always proven effective for me. (Pebbles, acorns, balls formed from paper napkins, etc.) It usually leads into a 'Two in the Hand - One in the pocket' effect and ends with all vanishing. Very magical and done with whatever you have around you at the moment.

I did this at lunch the other day with balls made from a paper napkin for a couple of coworkers and they were absolutely stunned. One even commented that she always thought Magicians had to "have their stuff" in order to perform. (Apparently her brother is learning magic and always carries a pouch of small props.) She said she was going to tell him that she had met a 'real magician.'
That comment made my day.

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2509 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2008-11-08 19:07, deadcatbounce wrote:
Josh,

Hmm..

DCB

I would suggest Dr. Bill Cushman's version which is featured in Psychological Subtleties 2. It is great and can be used in a impromptu setting. It is not your average "square". I love it.

Regards,

Sean
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Well, now that I'm married I always have a ring with me no matter where I am, so "the ring thing" is a nice quick dazzler. Knew there had to be an upside to marriage!

Another one I've worked on for impromptu situations is the old coin fold trick using a banknote to fold the coin up in then making it appear in an unexpected place. Not quite happy with it yet though, although the coin fold is a great concept.

Having said all that, I nearly always have a deck of cards on me and that's my favourite prop of all!
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
When I have nothing I simply do tricks using my fingers. I’ll include tricks that involve me apparently removing my thumb, stretching my thumb, apparently breaking my fingers by cracking them. There are also other routines including the "Crossed Arm Stunt" found in Magic for Dummies that can also garner audience participation. If I can borrow a pen with a cap I perform Gregory Wilson's "Recap" routine. By learning a few vanishes you can pickup any small object and keep an audience entertained.
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
A lot of magicians will not like me saying this....

But most magicians carry too much stuff on them when they go out. At the end of the day, each to it's own and you do what feels comfortable. Look at Jeff McBride, he wears a crazy pack around his waist with streamers, TT's, cards, everything.

However if you’re a magician, saying I do not have my props on me is a sell-out. You will lose your credibility straight away. I recommend (as members have said)

1. Pack of cards
2. TT
3. Coins
4. Packet trick, you keep in your wallet.

However I do not have any of these and can go for about five minutes without needing anything. How do I do it?

Well I am a pickpocket so that does help, however I recommend these small things.

1. Hand Twist (All you need is their two hands)
2. Point to your chin gag (Hold up one finger and tell them to point to their chin. But you point to your cheek.
3. 37 prediction number trick (2-digit number between 1-50. Both digits must be odd. Can not be the same number)
4. Carrot prediction (Name a vegetable)
5. 7 (Think of a number between 1-10)
6. Arm twist (If you are wearing sleeves)
7. In my wallet, I have my business card of where I perform the blank both sides card then appear my card.

They are the main ones I do if I have nothing. Or like I am at the gym and people are wearing nothing. However, most have coins on them and will play around with some coin effects.

Hope I helped!

JaY-JaY
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-10-14 15:50, The Naked Magician wrote:
Fellow magic people
whats the best thing to do, when your strolling down the road in your ideal world, the sun is scorching down, the breeze is cool and theres a beautiful girl on your side. and some idiot realises your a magician and asks you to do a trick. CAUGHT of guard. I'm not the kinda guy to say, errr no magic in me today! theres gotta be somthing you can do that's pretty impressive?
Thanks Guys and Gals

You can say your talent is in your other jacket.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
closeupmgic12
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of closeupmgic12
I carry around a trick called scotch and soda a easy but amazing trick which will cause astonishment for most.
closeupmgic12
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of closeupmgic12
1. Deck of stripped cards
2. Coins
3. Raven coin gimmick around 20$-30$

These are what I usually have in my pockets at all times.
Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
If you're in an office environment, or someone has a calendar on their mobile phone (they all do these days), then you can do the classic 'name the day of any date' trick. I absolutely love doing this when somebody inevitably asks the 'what day is this date three months from now?' type of question out of the blue Smile They are dumbfounded.

This one play insanely strong, because you can keep repeating it and it doesn't seem like a 'trick' but a real 'power' (if you get my drift).

Of course, if you're a mentalist all you need is pen and paper for some 'mind reading' - or just two people for a PK touch.

If you can't tell, I'm pants at hand sleights Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Literally have nothing! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL