The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Best Books on Catching Bluffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snipes
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of snipes
What do you guys recommend? Not just for professional players, but catching every day players? And in various games?

Any books on catching bluffs that you would recommend?

Thanks, appreciate it...
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
Read 'em & Reap - Joe Navarro and Marvin Karlins (presented by Phil Helmuth)
Caro's book of poker tells - Mike Caro

That ought to cover it.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3112 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Beyond bluff - Don't remember the author (Mc Kenna maybe), but was cool.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
You know that I had to say this.....

By far, the best way to catch someone bluffing is to use marked cards. But, that would not be fair to use in a money game .... just use it for demos.
Long Island,

New York
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
220 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
You need to look at "Caro’s Book of Tell’s - The Body Language of Poker" by "The mad genius of Poker" Mike Caro. Caro is a well known poker authority, theorist, and trainer.

There's more to gaging your opponent than just knowing when they are bluffing. Just as important, or probably even more so, is knowing when they are feigning weakness, but in fact have a really strong hand--meaning even though you may also have a good hand, you are still an underdog and should fold.

Caro's books have photos of players in all types of situations with detailed psychological studies of their body langauge, facial expressions, and general actions to give one clues on their hand strength of weakness.

Here is a link to his site where he has both the book mentioned and several videos on the subject.

http://www.poker1.com/home.aspx

Cheers

P.S. If you've ever seen the movie "Rounders"--you will remember a scene where Matt Damon is in his apartment in gathering up his bankroll to go play the Russian. I thought it was kind of neat that one of the packets of money was hidden in a Mike Caro "Poker Tells" VHS video box.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
There are some who might suggest that Caro's book is dated, and somewhat simplistic.
There are also many who could (and in fact DO) sum the books general tone up in one sentence, "strong is weak, and weak is strong".

It's important to note that most of what Caro talks about was brand new when the book was first published, and like Brunson's "Super/System", it was material that poker players had never actually seen as words put to paper before.

A few books (like Caro's book and Super/System) changed the game for good when they first came out. People started playing poker differently after reading them.
But we've been playing in those "changed games" now for a couple of decades, and most newer players have long ago learned these kinds of strategies as part of their general instruction in today's game.

I find the book of little help in today's game.

Reading tells (and by default, catching bluffs) benefits from playing in bricks 'n mortar games with players actually sitting across from you.....or put simply, experience in live games.

There's far more information to be acquired in a persons betting patterns on any given hand than there is watching them squirm in their seat.
Body language is part of it, but it's a small part of it.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 12:44, silverking wrote:

I tend to agree. I don't remember the first time I saw one of Caros books, but the info didn't blow me away at the time.

I was in Dunhams a while back and they had this DVD sitting by the register for 1.99 or something like that. Less than 3 bucks, so I snagged it. I thought it was supposed to be about tells, but I found it to be mostly a beginners guide to No Limit Hold Em. I didn't get much, if anything from the DVD.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/howard-lede......rer-7240

I'm only showing it here in case the OP stumbles across it in his search. I don't recommend it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
220 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
While I agree that the first Super Systems book is quite dated since it was published in the 70's, both it and Caro's books have been revised in the last few years although I haven't been inclined to read the newer versions.

Obviously most of the pros and semi-pros have all read these books, or at least should have, and many, as I sometimes do, actually use some of the info to create false tells, but the man asked about catching everyday players in all sorts of games.

I still find Caro's book a decent basic look in the body language and playing psychology of typical non-sophisticated players that populate the card rooms and home games that I play in.

Just my opinion after playing the game for just over 46 years, and you know what your proctologist says about opinions.

Cheers
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 17:14, Nerdini wrote:
Just my opinion after playing the game for just over 46 years, and you know what your proctologist says about opinions.

If not for opinions we wouldn't have horse races. It's all good.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 12:44, silverking wrote:

Yep. Little, but not necessarily non-existent.

That also was the reason why I listed the Navarro book first. That one is very interesting.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15754 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have never seen so much fish! Caro is fine if applied to average game today.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I agree that if you started off with nothing, the Caro book would teach you something.

But let me save somebody $26.95 and tip the book in almost its entirety:

"weak is strong, and strong is weak"

No charge Smile
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 12:27, silverking wrote:
I agree that if you started off with nothing, the Caro book would teach you something.

No charge Smile

Yes but Caros books have apparently been revised. So maybe now it's:

"weak is strong, and strong is weak. Except in cases where the opposite is true"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Actually Vandy, I think you've captured it better than I did!
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 12:27, silverking wrote:

No charge Smile

The thing is, while that sentence may be the very core of the idea the book tries to get across, it encompasses more than just this sentence.

It's hard to explain what I mean, but it does remind me of a similar phenomenon with traditional japanese martial arts. The ultimate, final teachings of a number of styles are one sentence, a poem, a haiku or something similar. For example, one of the ultimate teachings of Jigen Ryu is "tombo no kurai". Translated directly, it means something like "dragonfly on a post". To anyone who hasn't had the teachings, this is meaningless at best. But to a dedicated student, that sentence will bring to mind the core ideas of the style.

I feel "weak is strong and strong is weak" is like that. You can infer various things from it by just hearing it. But without reading the book you may not get the full range of what it means and how it applies.

Besides all that, I think the Navarro book is just better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Best Books on Catching Bluffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL