We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » I just don't get it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Does anyone know why some magicians like to be sarcastic towards others magicians? And why do those type of "so called" magicians like to criticize other magicians? What is wrong with support and understanding?

I know, I agree it is a tough one.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes I know.

"A good magician never reveals his secret." Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Your question sort of implies that magicians aren't human beings, subject to the same foibles and tendencies as all other human beings.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Oh yeah, right, Mike, "magicians like to be sarcastic towards others magicians". You bet. Happens. All. The. Time. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm not sure. I do see it here on the Café, but not so much in person. I'm a very sarcastic person myself, it's just my nature, so that's how it works for me.

Some magicians just hold other magicians in contempt for whatever reason. They don't like the competition, they don't like that other people are getting a reaction and adoration from a group that they could just as easily be getting. Professional jealousy I think it's called. Schadenfreude perhaps.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I've touched on some topics similar to this in some of my posts. Such as:

When you meet other magicians

How long have you really been into magic?

In some cases I think some of the things I mentioned in the above two posts could explain why some might come across as sarcastic towards others magicians. For instance trying to hard to fit in and not let anything think they are new to magic. They want other magicians to think they know it all. They'll tell you they've been practicing much longer then they really have.

Of course there are some jerks out there but for the most part, in my experience anyway, most magicians are pretty friendly and encouraging to each other.

Here on the internet it's a different story though. It's easier to be blunt of even a jerk when they in front of a key board instead of face to face (For proof of that just spend some time reading youtube comments. Smile ).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Some people just feel threatened by others, some are jealous, some are just nuts. Let's face it, Mike, they all can't be buds like you and me and enjoy gigging each other even though we really get along. They just don't understand fun.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I can't (won't) pretend to know how to answer your query without knowing the context of your disdain.
"Some" and "So called" ... ? "Some" folks take some comments far to seriously.
"Some" are having fun and are misunderstood for (pick a reason).
How do we confirm that one "sarcastic - so called magician" has even criticized one who may or might no be a magician at all?
POOF!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
So are you going to keep these inane posts/threads going till you get 10,000 posts?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Those are very interesting threads Jaxon. Now I can see I am not the only one bringing it up.

I agree with you Photius. Sometimes I rather throw myself in to help free the victim.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Maybe this helps

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/communication/valerie.htm

I fail to see though why you think it has anything to do with magicians in particular.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Why do some magicians worry about it?
If you have the confidence to perform you surely must be thick skinned enough to take a few barbs and have the sense to seperate the wheat from the chaff. At least I would hope so. If the sarcasm hurts, it might be true so you should take out of it what you can.
I am rather sarcastic, but only when I see what is being said as an obvious fallacy or obscenely ludicrus. It is not due to any insecurity on my part, it is just the way I interact.
What concerns me more is the condenscending attitude some "So called" magicians have towards females in magic, treating them as assistants and treating women in general as pieces of meat. This sort of predjudice is rampant in the magic world (How many threads are there on how to use magic to meet women? Sad really. I also can't think of a woman on this forum who hasn't been PM'd and hit on in some way shape or form- the stories I have heard turn my stomach.) To me, this is much more serious than someone attacking another magician for handling cards badly.
Just my thoughts.
Gwyd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20660 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
"The sting in any rebuke is the truth".

Pretty smart dude said that. Helped found our country. He may have a point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Because 99% of "magicians" ruin magic.

Then there are others who need to make inane posts just to see their post count hit the 10,000 mark... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20660 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thus proving my point.

Words mean different things to you Mike.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Quote:
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them - particularly verbs: they're the proudest - adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs - however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me, please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.

'Ah, you should see 'em come round me of a Saturday night,' Humpty Dumpty went on, wagging his head gravely from side to side, 'for to get their wages, you know.'

'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 09:25, Justin Style wrote:
Because 99% of "magicians" ruin magic.

Then there are others who need to make inane posts just to see their post count hit the 10,000 mark... Smile

This wins.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
There are a few people here on The Magic Café that, if I ever see in person, I'll politely excuse myself from their company based on the crap they post here.

...As I'm sure there some who feel the same way about me.

The sad thing is that I'd bet dollars to donuts that, had we just met in person without any online ********, no doubt we'd be very friendly.

It's sad, really... But whatcha gonna do? Online interaction often brings out the extremes in people.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Kinda makes me wish I didn't put my last name as part of my user name. When I first signed up, I had nothing to hide, so I didn't see the harm in it. But, like you said, if I ever meet some of the wise guys that I have confrontations with, I'd probably do what gaddy said and not be friendly.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I guess it's good that I'm not ever friendly. Makes all these emotional quandaries easier.

You guys are all make believe to me anyway. But the Internet is the Internet. If I met any of you in real life (Pretending that you are real here), I would be an nice as I would be otherwise.

Maybe I'm weird in not involving my feelings as I do my rapier wit.

Actually, we should get back on topic, this is a pity party for Mike.

So enough with your silliness' and sarcasms.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » I just don't get it (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL