The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » What shells should I get? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I'm looking for a cheap, inexpensive set of shells that I can get for the three shell game. I was thinking of getting the set on penguin magic, I think jay noblezada teaches you how to do it on video, I'm a very visual person, so I would buy the shells there just for the video, because I heard the shells (those in paticular) aren't good.

I do not have the money to spend tons of on gold or silver shells, I just want a cheap inexpensive set that works, and I also need to know where to find a good instruction teaching for them. Hopefully if I get instructions with them they won't be too confusing, (as I'm confused easily)

This came up because I was talking to a psychiatrsit who was in a convention with hundreds of other psychatrist (Who have Phd's in psychology) and one person was set up doing the three shell game. There was a mark set up, to pretend to win, to draw people in. So his friend, told him he was sure he could win money at it. He tried to convince he he couldn't, but he bet anyway, and lost. This has sparked my interest in learning the three shell game, just for fun and to show friends.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
In my opinion, your best value would be the School for Scoundrels "Street Shells," which run $45, click HERE for more info and scroll down to the bottom of the page. If you get these, get the matching $5 shot glass for the kicker finale. For instruction, you can't beat the School for Scoundrels $35 DVD, "An Introduction to the Shell Game," which covers all the moves, sleights, tips, techniques and routines you could ever need. If you can afford to do it, I would say that it pays to buy something a little more expensive, because it is a better deal in the long run. If you buy cheap, you will probably end up buying twice and spending more money in the end.

You can buy a cheap set of injection-molded plastic shells and sponge peas from S.S. Adams for about $3, that's the most inexpensive set. But a professional worker's resin set from Scoundrels will be much more durable, reliable and easy to use; it's the best value for the money. Getting silver, gold or copper shells is nice but is just gilding the lily, in my opinion (no pun intended). Not only that, but the plain resin Street Shells actually look and feel like walnut shells, not special magic props. The Scoundrels "perfect peas" are also great, very reliable and durable, they will not self-destruct like sponge peas do. Plus, you also get some straight peas that you can ring in for the gaffed ones, to totally baffle those who think they are "in the know."

Good luck with the shells, and let us know which set you eventually decided to buy. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
If you want cheap and just want to learn then go to the store, buy some real walnuts and crack them in half. then fill the insides with some wood glue to give them a bit of strength, or don't filll them with anything and just be careful. Cut a piece of sponge off of an extra sponge ball and get the Gary Ouellet book "Super Shells" I think that would be the cheapest way to go and also give you one of the best shell routines there is. The SFS intro to the shell game is good too, but the Ouellet routine is much better then the Dr. Beaumont routine taught in the video. The shells are really easy, all you really have to do is master one move. Of course of you want to do the thing for real or play the game for an extended period of time then the SFS video is the way to go. I started with real walnuts, sponge pea and the Ouellet routine. Then moved onto the SFS street shells and perfect pea, which is great since I can now do the shells on any surface. I have real and watched just about everything the magic Castle library has one the shells and I think the Ouellet routine or Bob Kohler's routines are the best, and the ouellet one is easier. But that is my opinion.
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
If you want cheap, get a set of Vernet shells. If you want to learn, the school for scoundrels DVD is worth a fortune. Ouellet is good as well as others, but the SFS DVD is the initial way to go.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I'd invest the money in the SFS set - that way you don't have a lot of junk shell sets sitting in a box like I do. My suggestion is to do it right in the first place.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Black Fox is the maker of the scarab shells that Bob Sheets used to use. I picked up a set on the Internet rather inexpensively.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
811 Posts

Profile of acesover
I perform the shell game every opportunity I get. Having said tht I have several sets of quality shells but always come back to my basic SFS set of shell and the perfect pea.

Might add that whatever set you use the "perfect pea" cannot be beat.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
If you want cheap, get a set of Vernet shells they are better than anything Penguin magic or magic makers sells. If you want something real good and still reasonably priced, go with SFS street shells, they will last a lifetime!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Avocat
The pea is crucial. Buy a Scoundrels set of Perfect Peas and you can use anything from shells to bottle-caps.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I have the magnetic street shells from S4S. They're GREAT, but they're overkill. I don't even use the magnetic properties. I think that having the right shells along with the perfect pea is CRUCIAL to operating this con.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » What shells should I get? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL