The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How Do I Look (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok People~

I'd like some feedback on my Street Performers outfit. Do I fit the bill?
http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k480/......forming/

Thanks
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like the outfit. It is a little too much clutter on your right because of the bikes. Maybe it would be a little better toward your right at the corner. Maybe more people would have noticed you. I like the your table. It was a good idea putting a stationary bucket there with "tips" on it.

If you see that lady there again get me her number. Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Loved your rig!

The only comment I can suggest from these photos is to wear you hat a little higher on your forehead so people can always see your eyes. A hat's brim is always more concealing that you might think, and eye contact is SOOOOooooo important.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Looks fine to me.

Mark. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Your best photo, from the viewpoint of selling yourself is this one:

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k480/......0540.jpg

It would be a lot better if you were looking at one of the people, so everyone could see your face. See if you can get a friend to take another photo like this.

You need a photo of yourself, the table, a few props and a lot of spectators with happy, amazed looks on their faces.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Naked Magician
View Profile
New user
Ashford, Kent
59 Posts

Profile of The Naked Magician
Love the green, do you use green bicycles too? I know I use pink ones from time to time!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
John, Great that you have such a number of photos of yourself performing. I like your dress, and your green theme. I do a sidewalk [footpath is the word we use in New Zealand] show with just one doctor's bag to hold most of my gear so the table, suitcase at side, and stand for tips looks very bulky to me. I think a main thing is for a magician to be able to carry all the gear in two arms, or cart, or whatever and keep an eye on it all. Your gear is suited also for bigger things - half circle show. As your crowds grow, consider a rope for an edge line so more people will be able to stand in the front row to see what's going on. I reckon reduce the size of the print of the TIPS sign to about half size but write it maybe three times around bucket so watchers from any angle can see the whole word, rather than just a portion of it [check your photos regarding this]. I'd place the bucket's height a bit lower - about waist height for spectators to easily drop coins in, and for children to easily put money in. About half of my hat trickle money is from children handed the money by their parents to put it in my hat. You've got a good pitch position with the steps/entrance to the Market in the alley/street just to your side. All the best for the future.
The presentation makes the magic.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey John, great seeing you out there! Mechanicsburg ain't the easiest!! Great that you're doing it.

OK, they're only pictures, but you look confortable in the situation. If you feel good with your stuff, that's EXACTLY how you should have it. Looks good. It'll develope as it needs.

I know it takes guts to play Mechanicsburg, anywhere in Mechanicsburg; but while it's still fresh,.. while the nerves are still there, try other spots as well. If you do, now; you'll be much stronger and thankful for it later. Mobility and flexiblity are our biggest strengths and weapons,.... but only if we develope them.

keep going for it,
gallagher

p.s.: don't give Mike her telefon number,... he'll only `interview ' her,.. and find out WHAT you did in your show,... and EXACTLY where that pitch is!
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Hey great outfit
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Thanks Guys.

Actually those pics are from my usual Saturday Morning Pitch at the Lancaster Farmers Market.

Not worried about Mike, if he wants to drive down from Michigan to hit that spot then more power to him Smile

I've had a couple of college girls give me their numbers but with my wife working across the street lets just say I'd like to keep my hands attached for a little while longer, but it does my ego wonders Smile

I still need to start actually doinga pitch and then hat'em at the end. Right not I just wait for people to stop and see what I am up to the let the trickle fall into the bucket.

Where as my wife who does Balloon Animal right acroos the street cleans up.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm working this weekend outside in the north east.....i'm working in shorts and a sweetshirt...last weekend I did the same thing and I di 4 hats in a row over $100,,,i'm not sure this has anythig to do with dress but a lot to do with your personality...thats kind of the truth

koz
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
You look good but I think you would look better in a short sleeved white shirt under your waistcoat
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The green band on your hat gives you an original look. It seems to me that you would gain homogeneity if the buttons on your vest would be of the same green (they seemed yellow on the photograph) and to have something more colorful on your vest (maybe te top of the pockets could be of the same green...
My only reserve would somewhere meet Bill Palmer's comment: you should look more to the audience and break some of the barriers you've built between you and them (glasses, beard, hat, looking heavily at your props...)
You're obviously a strong man and know your magic well: get closer to them, and they'll meet you half way in magic with their imaginations: you don't need protection. Building a character is the basic step. So as De Niro had one of his own character saying: "You. You're good".
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's an excellent idea, tying the color of the hatband with other items you wear or use.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Clean and casual for the venue
I've always believed in full dress as part of the performance
the green may have some sort of psychological value as in greenbacks
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I also have a Maroon hat and vest with the same green to make accessories stand out. This way I still have the same look but a different outfit Smile

My next task is to start actually running a Pitch to get my crowd as opposed to just waiting for passersby.

Then ofcourse Hatting them as opposed to the trickle hat. But I am getting there.

I have a few more adjustments to my rig then everything will be entierly contained and mobile. I'll post pictures when I am done with it.

Thanks a lot and if any of you are ever in the Harrisburg, Pa area drop me a line we'll hook up for a session.
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
Looks good to me......i like the hat.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
You looks very good! Congratulations,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How Do I Look (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL