The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Die Box, for me a keeper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Great ideas Peter, all of them. The White House, the Cupboard, all fun ideas.

I guess I still don't see how a giant cube with a president or bone painted on it is any more relevant than a die, which is very familiar to people. The kids recognize it right away, because they all use it in their games. The fact that it is bigger really does not make a difference to them and in my experience is never questioned.

Your post did help me to understand your point. You are referring to the routine used with the object, whereas I was referring to the object itself. I agree with your 100% the routine must be relevant and make sense to/for the object used.

I agree with your comments on this board. I also appreciate a discussion and difference of opinion without an argument.
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Yes John, perhaps I didn't make myself clear (and it wouldn't be the first time).
A block with pictures of presidents or bones is, of course, no more relevant to the audience than a giant die.
And, if you can make the die relevant, then fine.

What bothers me is the performer who simply does the trick with no attempt at relating it to the audience; a sort of "look what I can do and you can't" type of thing.
If the big die is effective for your style, then by all means, use it.
Because, in the final analysis:
What works, works.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Peter and John,

I also find the discussions here a lot more civil and productive. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the discussions are by choice not just part of the giant list of topics. You have to want to read them here at the Magic Cafe. Smile
Plus the smilies are a cool touch.

Thank you both for all the interesting posts here and on MT. You both are a value in our community. I don't always agree but I always have to think.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Peter,
You advocate the strangulation of small animals!!! I'm never speaking to you again. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hey, Sable and Phil,
I just realized: Since they changed the format, the 'smilies' list vanished.
How do you get them?
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Peter,
Go to your preferences settings in the main menu. There is a choice to have them show up when you post. Smile Smile Smile Phil Smile Smile
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Peter,
Yeah, that one got me too. I'm glad I found those crazy preferences.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hey, it worked! I did it!
(And that's quite an accomplishment for someone who pats himself on the back for just being able to turn on the computer.)
cheers and thanks,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Computer? Oh, you mean the overglorified typewritter with a TV attached. I'm still getting used to mine too. Smile Smile Smile

Sable Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
I painted the die white, then glued a thin red ribbon around it with a bow on top. Looks for all the world like a gift box. Of course the gift is hidden in the box, the recipient (magician) tries to find it and fails.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I have always loved this trick and in my youth cobbled together a truly appalling version out of scrap lumber, cardboard and felt. Fortunately I no longer own that monstrosity and now have two One a lovely Babcock See Thru Block the other an old two door Adams Magic which I converted into a reliquery for my Mediaeval performances. the die has become a coffer containing the left great toe bone of St. Stephan and the routine is based around trying to prove my relics true and just.
I too have always wondered about why a die? Why not a childs block or a small chest or any other number of things.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Paradox, great idea for kids show. You could have the "real" box contain a gift for the birthday child.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Die Box, for me a keeper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL