We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A tale of two magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Let's say there are two magicians. Magician "A" is somewhat introverted, but he has a love for magic. He reads all the magic magazines, puts a lot of thought into his presentation and choosing his effects, and does effects that most other magicians don't do. However, he is somewhat introverted. He walks into a venue, performs his show, and then leaves.

Magician "B" is an extrovert. He doesn't put a lot of thought into his presentation. He does standard effects (perhaps overdone effects) in a fairly ho-hum manner. However, he is very friendly, greets people by name, always seems to have a smile on his face, and makes pleasant conversation. He may even sit down and have a chat with some of the groups he entertains. He's the type about whom you would say "He's a nice guy".

Who do you think would be judged by laymen to be the better magician?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The laymen will pick "B" because of his character and personality.

Judges for a contest will pick "A" because of his skill.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Each style has its appeal. As an introverted magician myself, I come alive on stage. I'm not introverted in the spotlight. However, I do keep to a script and am not very good at spontaneity. And, as you pointed out, I'm not the type to sit down after the show and get into discussions. Introverts tend to be more analytical and therefore put more thought into improving their performance.

Extroverts seem to have the natural gift of entertaining. I love to watch them captivate their audience with nothing more than their quick wit. They have the ability to improve their performance in the heat of the moment. They seem to thrive on this challenge.

Which is judged better by laymen? It’s like choosing chocolate ice cream over vanilla. They are both sweet.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I like Simon Drake and liked Tommy Cooper. Apples and Oranges?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Neither.
It depends on the performance the introvert gives.
His well thought out effects may be as mysterious as he is.
The audience may think him strange but his magic totally awsome.

The extrovert on the other hand may be the life of the party and someone you would like to hang out with.

A question back at ya.

Who do you think is the better magician?
Eugene Burger or Bill Malone?
You don't have to answer. It's just that here are two different magicians who do different things very good.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It should be noted that both Eugene and Bill are extroverts in performance. Bill is more demonstrative, but neither would could categorized as introverted in their performing persona.

I agree with Jazz. I have seen 'quiet' performers just kill an audience with superb performance...I have seen more demonstrative and not very skilled performers just kill an audience. I like this question a lot...made me think and run over the various performers I have seen, etc., but it's a lot more complex than introvert/extrovert I think.

I am a classic 'introvert'. Give me a book and lots of quiet and I can be happy as a clam for days at a time all involved in my own little world... until you put me in either a teaching or performing situation. I call this the Johnny Carson Personality. By all and every account Mr. Carson was a very quiet almost shy person off the stage, but on.... Yikes!

What has legs in any performing career is probably more the full package. An excellent performing persona combined with skill in whatever performance craft one selects will add up to long term success. Lesser combinations might be successful for a short time because of some novelty they bring to the table, but long term, unless they transition to a higher degree of excellence, probably not. Best,
Brad Burt
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Well, some good, thoughtful responses here. I was talking more about the magician's "tableside manner" before and after the performance. My current thinking is to approach the table and make some pleasant conversation before launching into the magic. This gets away from the magician as a showoff, one-dimensional or "look what I can do" personality and establishes him as a likable person. When you just walk up to a table and start performing, the attitude often seems to be "Why is this stranger pushing this stuff in our faces?" When you make conversation first, you're no longer a stranger, you're a friendly person the spectators might like to know better. The "mysterious stranger" persona might work for a platform or stage performer but not so much for close-up.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Actually you originally asked,"Who do you think would be judged by laymen to be the better magician?"

Certainly the magician who has a friendly personality would be apt to be the more likable magician.

Any magician who simply enter a tableside venue and starts performing without some intro and chat wouldn't last long and likely shouldn't be there in the first place.

If your referring to a closeup gig, of which there are a few, then it's expected that you represent the establishment or organization in an appropriate manner.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does one of them have a twin brother?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Quote:
On 2008-10-17 17:03, Jaz wrote:Any magician who simply enter a tableside venue and starts performing without some intro and chat wouldn't last long and likely shouldn't be there in the first place.

Well it depends on how you define "intro," but not a few magicians think an adequate intro is, "Did you lose a knife?" or "Hi. Wanna see something?"
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I have a similar question:

Do you prefer to be rich and healthy, or poor and ill?...

Well, this requires a lot of thinking to come to a conclusion. Maybe I should ask my magician peers.

I love asking neutral questions; they always generate deep comments.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I prefer to be rich and healthy. Who on earth would want to be poor and ill?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-11-09 19:20, tommy wrote:

Panhandlers and those with very low self-esteem. Most of them will have a depression problem.
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
220 Posts

Profile of Christo
Quote:
On 2008-11-09 19:20, tommy wrote:

Me too...!!

I think, perhaps, Lawrence meant "Poor and Healthy" and "Rich and Ill"...perhaps?

Chris
"Humpty was pushed!!"
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Well, I was trying to express that with the way the initial post deals with the question (does an extrovert magician gets more appreciated than an introvert one?). The reply, if I understood the question right, is as obvious than the alternative I suggested.

A magician is an actor playing the role of a magician. Acting being body language and script, the chances that, at the same magic quality level, an introvert magician could get the same recognition by laypeople than an extrovert seemed to me to be incongruous. Hence, my "ironic" alternative.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Is it the material a boat is made of that makes it float, or is it the captain?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 15:18, JackScratch wrote:

I suspect that a great captain can float any boat, Drew... The material and design of the boat mean nothing. Smile
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 15:40, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

I suspect that a great captain can float any boat, Drew... The material and design of the boat mean nothing. Smile

LOL...Smile
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
LOL All you need now is some kind of freak radiation accident and get them put together, and there you go, world's best magician.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 15:40, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

No Captain who ever existed could float a plain old round rock. I'm not surprised you got it wrong. The correct answer is: "Neither; the factors which cause a boat to float are many and varied, and while a material which is poorly suited to a particular vessel structure or a bad Captain will surely put a boat on the ocean floor, it takes a great deal more than either, or even both, factors accounted for to make a boat float." Again, Whit, you were in such a big hurry to be "clever" that you have completely missed the point. Only those who pay attention to all details achieve success.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A tale of two magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL