We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Writing for Council Permission (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

I've wanted to give busking a go for a while now, so I've begun to practice some routines and learn some standard lines and techniques for street performance. However, before I can go out and try it, I really ought to get in touch with my local council to enquire about permission.

My real question to you all is, what should my basic enquiry letter be like? Who should I send it to within the council? Anybody willing to share some example letters of their own that could help me?

If anyone would be willing to share some samples with me, you can e-mail me direct at markwatson@juggler.net

I know this sort of thing comes up a lot on here, but I couldn't find any specific examples. I don't want to screw it up for fear of never getting the chance again. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Take care

Mark

PS For anyone interested, I live in Boston, Lincolnshire (in the United Kingdom) if that changes things at all.
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
So street busking is not allowed there presently, and you are trying to get it to become an ordinance?
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

No, it certainly is allowed, because I have seen a couple of guys playing music and such, but none of the ones I've spoken to were kind enough to help me in any way. I want to know how to approach a council for my personal permission (or simply to check if you need such permission).

Hopefully that's cleared things up!

Take care

Mark
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Just ring and ask?

you will need a license in the uk I'm sure
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Right found on another forum that in the uk some councils require you to have a lisence and others don't so you will just have to enquire
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You might also try going to a council meeting and bring it up when it is your turn to speak. Whoever is in charge should guide you the right direction.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mike, he is in England, their councils are run differently than here in the U.S. The rules may very well state that he must write his petition to the council. This is better answered by someone in the U.K.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
When you phone, if that is your first approach, make sure to record the name of the person who tells you the info, and the date. That's so if you get told [happy thought!] that you don't need a busking permit, at least if someone accosts you on the street you can point to someone on the council who told you so. Hah! I phoned a city council's office here in New Zealand and got told on the telephone I didn't need a permit. "Did you get the name of the woman who spoke to you," queried my son when I told him the answer. "No," I replied. "Well, you should have [for the reason I mention above]."
Just to make sure, the next day when in that city I went to the council offices and asked a woman at the desk, "Do you need a permit to busk?"
"No," she answered.
Oh, good. Now two times I've been told no permit needed.
When I told my son the 2nd reply, he asked me again, "Did you get her name?"
"Ah, no."
It became apparent to us that I could have been asking the same woman twice, and got her consistent [and maybe not accurate] answer!
Sometimes I'm a slow learner!!
Mark, too bad the buskers didn't help you. I like to talk to other buskers at my pitch because they are my work-mates. The last time I introduced myself to guitarist Billie I found out why a security guard had been talking to her a few times during the session. I thought maybe he was questioning her about a permit. Turns out he was her partner and was just briefly chatting to her. So, now I've got a security guard on my side, I reckon.
The presentation makes the magic.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Mark
My suggestion is don't ask but work it. In the UK unless if it is a city with lots of tourist and buskes all ready their probally no licence agreement and if you ask you may just hang your self with lots of red tape. What cit/village are you thinking of working. Something that does come up often in these threads is that it is easier to apologise than to ask for permission. Often the city council have their ideals but they don't corospond with the Law. Are their street traders their for example if their is you probaly find that the council are keen to get rid of them but they cant because of a loop hole in the law called a peddlers licence. One thing you have is freedom of speach, it is a fine line but one thing is for sure they aint got time to arrest you and run into the local nick the Police are not interested in doing lots of paper work which will bring them to a dead end. If they talk to you just be seen to be willing to work with them. You will probally find they like you being their in most cases.
Fat Hats,
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Mario is correct,,,I see your from Boston Lincs, not the best area to pick up a shilling though.

At Bath, Salisbury,Andover and Marlborough no licence is required but there are certain places its not permitted and half hour spots with a move on after that is normal.
Parts of London are wide open with my old spots in Middlesex Street (Pet Lane)And Leytonstone High Road still not used. I used to work the High Road from midday to early evening in the same spot six days a week. Living at that time in Vernon Road I could nip home for a brew and see my prop box from the kitchen window,,people still tossed coins in the cash hat even when I wasnt there!!!

So go out and do it anywhere you like!!!! Haha you will soon learn !

Good luck
Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Writing for Council Permission (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL