We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Repetitive Post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Have many of you noticed that, after a while, old topics are revived in new threads asking the same quiestions? Does this place eventually become completely uninteresting for its repetitiveness?

Also, will seemingly endless questioning always lead you back to the conclusion that it would've been better not to have questioned to begin with? Does this mean it's pointless? is it the ride that matters?

That second part's a bit irrelevant sorry.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Well...maybe so, maybe no. There are over 2.5 million posts on the Café at present, with thousands of posts being added daily, which seems to nullify the 'uninteresting' aspect of your question.

As far as redundancy is concerned, perhaps. Take a look at the table hopping section. Open any of the threads there, and you're bound to see 'Use the search function!' other people bring up the old topics, or start new ones of their own, and other information, sometimes insightful, is added.

For most of us, magic is something we love to discuss amongst our peers. Certainly there will be a strain of disinterest amongst the masses, but that is to be expected. College professors face the same problem I imagine, leading them to take sabbaticals.

For the second part of the question, it depends. Some say don't ask a question without knowing the answer (it's especially true of attorneys, and why depositions are mandatory), others say you're better off knowing than not knowing. I say it's better to ask and let what be said be said.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
So is it easier to use the search function while holding a red backed deck of cards or a blue back deck or cards or do I really have to buy the Split Spade pack with that gaff set coming out next week before I can find my answers?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Alex
Why is your glass half empty?

I have been a member here for 4 years, and about 1/2 of the coolest stuff I know I learned here. A member told me about a trick today that perked my interest, and after talking to others I discovered that I already had this trick in my library, but I never really looked at it before. Perhaps you are reading the same old hypethetical baloney at "food for thought", and it would be best if you looked at other areas of the magic Café.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3145 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
We become aware of a new phenomenon. We see it as an important new motif. Soon after, we see the motif reappear and we realize it's not really a new motif, but instead the re-emergence of a cliche. After that, we see the pervasiveness of the cliche and decide it's in fact a universal theme. After that...?

I see the annoyance you have for it, Alex, but there's fun to be had in studying it for patterns.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
We all seem to read and respond most to the newest threads and topics. If given a choice b/t reading and old thread on "should I use red or blue cards or split spades" as Jonathan sez - for some reason the newer thread is always the one I read first.

There's a lot of crap on here and I think at some point some of it should be trashed.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
It’s not the first time this question has been asked. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

True, but it's really all about how one asks that's telling.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-10-18 21:29, Alex Linian wrote:
Does this place eventually become completely uninteresting for its repetitiveness?

Yet here you are anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
You're right about repetition, but it's the same as on many other message boards, magic or not. People are interested in the same things yet new people constantly come in over time. Yes, there's search, but people like to post their own specific slants on a question and prompt their own dialogues.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's going to be repetitive posts.
New people arrive, not all veterans read all posts and many just don't know how to search effectively. Not all keywords and phrases find what people are looking for.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-10-19 10:29, bugjack wrote:
... Yes, there's search, but people like to post their own specific slants on a question and prompt their own dialogues.

Yes but long before considering themselves a magician they should have gotten into the habit of asking for basic data in a manner befitting their relative level of familiarity with and knowledge of the BBS (and its members).

And of course you are right about our market feeding off such arrogant newbies who can't manage a cogent question or RFI, but it's also about how others respond which helps the newbie find the older discussions or ... sadly IMHO disingenuously prolong the thread into a new discussion and so protract the ordeal for all on this BBS.

Reading remains fundamental. It's always cool to ask for help - that's why we're supposed to be here.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Hopefully, I'll answer the questions differently than I would have 5 years ago. It's unlikely that I'd re-answer a question in the same thread that I had already responded to. And maybe (if I'm lucky) I'll be called out by someone who wasn't here, or thinks differently than back then. (I used to like blue backs, for example)
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think that people come to places like this more for the live interaction, than they do for basic research. I am not sure this is the crime of the century.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
On a poker site where I am a member, they have a pole gaget and one just ticks a box for poles. I think one of those would save a lot time and space here. Questions like which is best so and so.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
But how do you pontificate on a pole?..... Oh I see.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I have been with this forum for about four years. When I see something being discussed that reminds me of something that was discussed prior, I include a link to the previous discussion... if I can remember enough about it to cull the link... and if I believe the link to be meritorious. Otherwise, I just let it go.

Rehash and reiteration of "basics" is never a bad thing, especially for people looking for help. One of the advantages of living in the information age is being able to have information at one's fingertips. If I can, I'll pitch in, with a link, or with what I have to say. If this forum becomes inundated with with echos as a result, I'm sure that's all part of the game, and really an issue for the mods to deal with.

I expect the question "What is Magic?" to pop up again soon. It seems to be a good one. When it does, I'll provide a link to the topic that blossomed into a 20+ page gold mine a couple years ago. Actually, I'm taking bets as to when that one will hit.

Something else a bit off the beaten track, and a lot more provocative. If you are wondering why people don't just use the search function instead of posting rehash, you're missing out on two important driving factors of human nature. If you want to know what these two factors are, you'll have to PM me. The reason for this is what I'll say will irk 90% of the people who read it. And I mean really irk them. For that, the matter is best discussed privately.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 23:20, Patrick Differ wrote:
Something else a bit off the beaten track, and a lot more provocative. If you are wondering why people don't just use the search function instead of posting rehash, you're missing out on two important driving factors of human nature. If you want to know what these two factors are, you'll have to PM me. The reason for this is what I'll say will irk 90% of the people who read it. And I mean really irk them. For that, the matter is best discussed privately.

Now that sounds entertaining.
I have sent a PM.

As a bonus, I am going to stay up tonight and work on a rough draft of a new opening post for a "What is Magic?" topic. I hope no one beats me to it.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Chicken.

Maskelyne’s Rule number (3)

“Avoid complexity of Procedure, and never tax either the Patience or the
memory of an audience.”

The search is complex in procedure, taxes the patience and the memory.
ergo The search is breaking rule (3) that’s why no one uses it. Smile

Tommy
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Quote:
Chicken.

If I were any more chicken, I'd be able to lay an egg. Smile

Your reasoning using Maskelyne's Third Rule runs along the same lines as mine. However, my reasoning is much more cutthroat, and decidedly much more offensive, ergo inappropriate for posting on a public forum (read: a forum that isn't mine.)
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Repetitive Post (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL