The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The stage fan production. Help please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
I'm a close up performer.
but I've start doing stage these days.
and study seriously.

I personaly love the fan.

the chinese fan or japanese fan.
really love the fan on the stage

but I don't know where I should I begain
does anyone know any book or video teach the fan magic?
any kind of it will be help

thanks.a lot !
Daniel Guo
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Jim Steinmeyer's excellent book The Magic of Alan Wakeling has Alan's entire nightclub act built on fans. Just reading the routine it is really a thing of grace and beauty.
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Oh. that's will be a really great help..

it just happend my one of friend have that book

thanks frank!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Try Jeff McBride's DVD on card manipulation on stage. He has a 3 volume set. He teaches everything from A-Z. I am sure you will like it.
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 07:11, Dynamike wrote:
Try Jeff McBride's DVD on card manipulation on stage. He has a 3 volume set. He teaches everything from A-Z. I am sure you will like it.

hey .. hmm actually the bacis manipulation I already study and practice for few month . and the dvd is great .
but do you have any other DVD or books? is talking about the fan ?
thanks. DG
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Those are good references from Dynamike about card fanning. I don't think there are much materials about bamboo fans manipulations. Experimenting with those fans may bring out a few ideas here and there.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Try looking around for performance videos of Kikuchi. They can be hard to find, and don't give any instructions, but he did several really pretty proudctions with fans and parasols. You might at least get some ideas from his work.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
I posted the same question today before reading this thread. Obviously Dynamike did not read the post correctly since we are both asking about Chinese or Japanese style decorative hand fans (silk, paper, and/or wood) and not card fans.

I know that Jeff Sheridan performs a single ladies' hand fan vanish and reproduction on one his of his L & L DVD's but it really doesn't go anywhere and is certainly not a routine.

I remember seeing a very pretty little routine performed by a Geisha in an old movie about Japan. I think it may be a flick called "The Barbarian and the Geisha" which was set in the mid 19th century when the US was first trying to set up diplomatic relations with Japan. It oddly starred John Wayne as the diplomat, but the movie never has been released on DVD, so it might be difficult to verify.

Thinking that this might have been a traditional Geisha performance art, I did some searches on the net, but really came up blank.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Oh my bad. I thought you were looking for card fanning in chinese or japanese style. When James put "bamboo" it got my attention.

I do have a parsol DVD. If you set the closed up like a closed parasol, the DVD will give you a lot of methods for appearances. The DVD is titled "Joker's Parasol Anywhere".

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 2:14pm
Here are some good fans:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1650
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 14:09, Dynamike wrote:
If you set the closed up like a closed parasol, the DVD will give you a lot of methods for appearances.

If you set the "FAN" closed up like a closed parasol, the DVD will give you a lot of methods for appearances.
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 11:57, Drew Manning wrote:
Try looking around for performance videos of Kikuchi. They can be hard to find, and don't give any instructions, but he did several really pretty proudctions with fans and parasols. You might at least get some ideas from his work.

Hmm actually it's really hard to find. and can you tell me what is look like?
I have few ideas and I thought that's ok but too little.

anyway thanks for helping me !
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 14:00, Nerdini wrote:
I posted the same question today before reading this thread. Obviously Dynamike did not read the post correctly since we are both asking about Chinese or Japanese style decorative hand fans (silk, paper, and/or wood) and not card fans.

I know that Jeff Sheridan performs a single ladies' hand fan vanish and reproduction on one his of his L & L DVD's but it really doesn't go anywhere and is certainly not a routine.

I remember seeing a very pretty little routine performed by a Geisha in an old movie about Japan. I think it may be a flick called "The Barbarian and the Geisha" which was set in the mid 19th century when the US was first trying to set up diplomatic relations with Japan. It oddly starred John Wayne as the diplomat, but the movie never has been released on DVD, so it might be difficult to verify.

Thinking that this might have been a traditional Geisha performance art, I did some searches on the net, but really came up blank.

Yea ! you Right I do have some ideas from japanese magician's performance and some Chinese magician's too
there are few magician relly good at Fan
But I think Keiko Muto can be help you can search her performance
not so sure she win the IBM by this routine .. if you can find the whole performance let me know hehe .

thanks man ..
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 14:09, Dynamike wrote:
Oh my bad. I thought you were looking for card fanning in chinese or japanese style. When James put "bamboo" it got my attention.

I do have a parsol DVD. If you set the closed up like a closed parasol, the DVD will give you a lot of methods for appearances. The DVD is titled "Joker's Parasol Anywhere".

I have this DVD and yea but fan ,parasol is different. parasol can auto open
but fan... anyway . you been a great help .
sorry for my poor English .
I love the fan work on stage.

I also a chinese but study in other country.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 00:02, danielguo wrote:
I have this DVD and yea but fan ,parasol is different. parasol can auto open
but fan...

There are two ways the fan can be opened quickly. One way is with the right manipulation. It will require a lot of skill, but can be done. The other way it to use the spring as in "Fan To See" cards. I bet the fan can be gimmicked that way.
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
There are also two distinct types of fan construction can affect opening and closing.

The first are the typical Asian fans that are constructed with wood or bamboo ribs and either paper, silk, or cloth for the fan part. These are the most common and are the most decorative, but at least the common paper varieties require more effort to open and close due to the stiffness of the paper. I don't know about the silk or cloth varieties, but it would seem they might work better and certainly might be more durable.

The second type, which is like the one Jeff Sheridan uses in the video I mentioned, is made entirely of sandalwood. These fans have intricate patterns cut into the thin blades of the fan and they are also sometimes painted although never as colorful as the paper or silk types. I have only seen Chinese versions of these and not Japanese.

Because the blades are threaded together much like an electric deck of cards they literally fall open and close making them ideal for manipulation.

Here is a link to one site that has a fairly extensive collection of hand fans for sale so you can get an idea of the differences I am talking about.

http://asianideas.com/handfans.html

There are also quite a few on EBay from various Asian importers
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
All those fan prices on the link are good until you get to the Kung Fu Fighting one.
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 10:21, Nerdini wrote:
There are also two distinct types of fan construction can affect opening and closing.

The first are the typical Asian fans that are constructed with wood or bamboo ribs and either paper, silk, or cloth for the fan part. These are the most common and are the most decorative, but at least the common paper varieties require more effort to open and close due to the stiffness of the paper. I don't know about the silk or cloth varieties, but it would seem they might work better and certainly might be more durable.

The second type, which is like the one Jeff Sheridan uses in the video I mentioned, is made entirely of sandalwood. These fans have intricate patterns cut into the thin blades of the fan and they are also sometimes painted although never as colorful as the paper or silk types. I have only seen Chinese versions of these and not Japanese.

Because the blades are threaded together much like an electric deck of cards they literally fall open and close making them ideal for manipulation.

Here is a link to one site that has a fairly extensive collection of hand fans for sale so you can get an idea of the differences I am talking about.

http://asianideas.com/handfans.html

There are also quite a few on EBay from various Asian importers

Well I'm really thank you for me a great help .
and these two type fan may be first work well I think
but also depends what kind of manipulation we using. But things for sure
the nylon fan or silk fan is easy to open
bUT also lucky for me I'm chinese
and in my home town there will be have some fan .but
the main idea is what I really waht know about the manipulation prat.
just for stage. the biggest problem is now I don't have a theme of my act .
maybe I can produce many fans but it really dosen't make any sence.
like dove dove itself is theme. well I ; just saying.
but I want to seek out is there any people really good and can give me some help
also dude . you did a great help for me ! thanks !!!
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
The silk fan means the part of the hand fan is made by silk not the square one

ha.
DYNAMIKE you also good thanks !!!1
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you are wearing a loose Chinese outfit, I can see a lot of areas for thin hidden p****** the fan can go into. Have a small wired loop at the end of each fan on the hand held end. When the fan is closed it is inserted in the p***** all the way with the loop outside unnoticed. During the performance insert your thumb/finger in the loop and take it from there. The hidden p****** can be everywhere including the sleeves. With enough practice you should be able to snap the fan open quickly with ease when pulled out. I bet it can not come any easier than that. It is all going to depend on you if you have the interest or not.

Sorry, but they still have not invented easy self-working fan productions yet.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
If you can get a fan that can open up easily, then you would be able to open it with one hand. Those with plastic ribs and cloth/silk types are easy to open with one hand. Then play with it and conceal them all over your body and try different method of stealing them out ... and you have your own routine. That's how I created my own chinese fan routine ... without any references from other's work.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Those kung-fu fans are expensive because they are metal and very high quality. I bought a couple and I like them, but have not built up the strength to use them properly yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The stage fan production. Help please. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL