The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mackie SRM150, paso wpcs50 or Audio galaxy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Colombia
106 Posts

Profile of hkmagic
Hi, I am very interested in to buy one very portable PA.

I am between this 3

1. mackie SRM150
http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/index.html#

2. Paso 50 wpcs50
http://www.pasosound.com/prods/page9/page19/index.html

3. Audio Galaxy PA5XD
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/PA5XD.jsp

I will apreciate your suggestions

Henry
"May the Magic be with you"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
The PASO and the Galaxy systems are very similar, same wattage, both are wireless and AC/DC cordless. I own and have used a PASO for two years now, and have been very satisfied with it. I have never seen or used a Galaxy PA and so can't compare it to the PASO.

I believe the Mackie is not cordless or wireless, it is only AC operated and you would need to add a separate wireless receiver. I believe it is also more useful for music than voice, I think it has an equalizer and stereo inputs, while the PASO and Galaxy units just have bass/treble controls and are basically mono units for voice amplication, although they do have an AUX input and a separate volume control for a music line. The PASO and Galaxy units are 30 watts, I think the Mackie runs 150 watts.

So it really depends on which features are important to you and what you will be using the unit for. If you need a rechargeable battery-operated unit, look at the PASO and Galaxy. If not, consider the Mackie. How much power do you need, how much weight and stuff do you want/need to carry around, and so on? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
hkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Colombia
106 Posts

Profile of hkmagic
Sethb I want something practical, I am thinking to get the paso, wit how many people have you tried your Paso System wpcs50?

Thanks

henry
"May the Magic be with you"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Henry, I use the PASO for a Svengali Pitch, outdoors during the Spring and Fall, and indoors during the Winter. I use a lavalier mike, which is not as efficient as a head or ear mike, but it is less obtrusive, in my view. I also use the optional speaker stand (about $45), highly recommended, because it gets the PA unit up off the ground and projects the sound at "ear level," so that it will carry further and be heard better.

I run the system at about 30-40% volume, which is more than adequate for me. I am just trying to reinforce the sound, not amplify it to any great degree -- I can't disrupt adjacent and nearby vendors. This setup is still quite effective and does a good job of putting the sound exactly where I need it. I can be heard and understood without shouting, I attract passing crowds just fine, and I don't have to worry anymore about being drowned out by background music, live bands, audience chatter, other vendors, etc.

With this setup, the PASO system will easily reach about 50 people in an outdoor setting, probably about 75 in an indoor setting. These are conservative numbers, if acoustic conditions are good the number could be slightly higher. The PASO ads claim it will reach 200 people, which I think is a big stretch. There is an optional extra speaker available, but it is a passive unit, so you do not gain any power by using it, only more coverage, you are still limited to the 30 watts in the original unit. PASO also makes a 50-watt unit, which is of course more expensive; I have never used it and have no experience with it.

The 30-watt PASO will run for about 4-5 hours on its internal rechargeable battery. If you need more runtime than that, it is possible to modify the unit by adding a second internal battery if you don't add an optional CD player. I did that and can now run for 8-9 hours straight if I have to.

The only complaints I have seen about the PASO on the Café' involve its supposed inability to receive transmissions from the body pack transmitter in temperatures below 50 degrees Farenheit. I have never experienced this problem, but I normally do not work outdoors in colder weather anyway.

Hope this information helps. A good PA is a big investment, but a worthwhile one if you use it correctly. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mackie SRM150, paso wpcs50 or Audio galaxy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL