The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi Everyone! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
894 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hello!

As you all already know, my [stage] name is Dr. Alphis Dinwiddie, and I live in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. I have been interested in magic since July of '99. Only in the last year though have I gotten serious about it. I mainly do close-up work, however, right now I'm trying to develop a parlor/stand-up act. Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

As for my personal life, I am 17 years old...a senior in our home school. After I graduate, I have plans to attend Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina. I have not yet chosen a major, but I'm working on it. Smile What else can I say? Thanks for taking time to read this!
- Jeff
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4050 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
I mainly do close-up work, however, right now I'm trying to develop a parlor/stand-up act. Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Well met Alphis!

I would suggest that you begin by taking your favorite close-up effects, and figure out which ones can be adapted for the parlor and/or stage.

I know this sounds silly at first, but if you go through your repertoire, you'll be surprised how easy it is to turn some close-up ideas into larger presentations.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I'll bet the Cups and Balls would go over well for parlor/standup work. So would Twisting The Aces . . . lots of those kinds of tricks - try the classics first, I would say. And welcome! I just joined here lately, too. I'm 18 and from Alabama. I haven't gone pro yet, although I've thought about it a lot. I really wouldn't know how to get started; how did you get started doing closeup? If you want to e-mail me I'm at
serling307@yahoo.com.
Look forward to reading your posts.
Smile
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Alphis:

Welcome to the Cafe. I hope you enjoy your time here and find it profitable. Best.

-Marty
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Welcome Dr. Alphis Dinwiddie!

It is a pleasure to have a young man such as yourself join us! Nice to see someone who has a plan for his life.

Amazing these days how many young people are just going through the motions, waiting for life to "give it up" to them. Come to think of it, even in my day, there were some like that...

But anyway I am sure that you can contribute here as well as learn!

Thanks for joining us here!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2315 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Fellow 17 year old! Welcome. Can't wait for graduation!
I'm Brian. Welcome to the Cafe. Hope to talk to you on occasion.
Take it easy Smile
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Welcome! Glad you could join us. Take some time to go through the menu at the Cafe. You will undoubtably find items that will help you in devising your new act. Look forward to "talking" with you.
:wavey:
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1449 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Alphis, (A very charismatic stage name ehh?) I am happy to see a very young magician here. I have some students at your age, and the problems are always similar.

For this reason, never feel alone!!! If you have decided to be a professional, you have gone half the way which is the hardest in the point of making your mind up.

Now I must agree with Philamon in recommending you to go back to your repertoire. Please choose a small group of the people you know the majority for the first show. You will see things will go easy. Smile

Welcome to the Cafe and feel free to ask everybody about everything. Because these people are here just for the sake of sharing the knowledge.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Welcome Alphis,
I think our menu has a variety of magical treats to quench your hunger...enjoy!
Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Welcome aboard, Alphis. (Aha, I suspected it was a stage name!)
Philemon makes a very valid point: It is probably easier than you think to change some close-up effects to parlor/stage.
In my current lecture, Bizarre Magic, I have just revamped all but one effect from close-up to stage, only by changing the props.
You'll find a lot more help here and people willing to help!
cheers Smile
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Merlyn of 8
View Profile
Regular user
Massachusetts U.S.A.
147 Posts

Profile of Merlyn of 8
Hello and welcome Alphis,
It is great to see more young magicians enter the Magic Cafe, I'm glad that you have found your way here, I have found that the coffee is good and the company is great and there is plenty of food for thought!!

I remember when I started to build my stage/parlour show the first effect that I learned was the cups and balls as sterling 307 said it is one of the classics, and when presented well like Michael Ammar, (the first name that comes to mind) it is very entertaining.

There are many other helpful people here that are more than willing to help and lend advice, enjoy the journey and enjoy your visits here and return often!!!
and post, post, post away!!!
Smile Smile Smile
Cheers,

Thomas Cleveland

"Life is a jurney,enjoy the jurney"
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
894 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I think I'm going to like it here. Hopefully I can contribute in a meaningful sense. Thanks to all those who offered advice for my parlor act! I've already started to work on those suggestions. "Talk" to you later!
- Jeff
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Great to have you here Alphis (way cool name)

I know you will fit right in here Smile

Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Well Dr., it's good to have you with us. Have a coffee.
Smile

Jeb (Sable)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1449 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Aphis Smile Smile Smile
The new avatar is much more better than the previous one. Although it was soooo much charismatic, Smile now we have the chance to see you in person. I think this is a better choice. Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
894 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Thank you Tora,

I thought so too! The only reason I used the other avatar was because I didn't have any others on hand. Glad you like the new pic.
- Jeff
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
Hi Doc, I like your stage name. I too have just joined the forum and I'm amazed at how friendly it is and at the depth of information stored here. Nice to meet you
Giles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi Everyone! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL