We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I need some advice. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Hi all Smile

I need a little advice here. I have been performing magic for a long time, close-up for the most part. We have a stand-up act (club-date style) that is very modular and we can adapt to almost any length performance. Years have gone into this act, and it is a blast for us to perform. Now the time comes though when I desire to add a few more illusions to the show.

I am going to grab a Crystal Casket this weekend. I'm going through Doug Tilford and have a quick question. The only thing that is troubling me about this is that I don't have enough info about the "stair stepped base" -vs- the "non-stepped base".

The pics on the site aren't real good angles on the base, and it's making it a hard choice for me.

Doug recommends the "stair stepped base".
The pic on the site makes this base look much thicker than the flat base.

Anyone familiar with both models that could shed some light on this for me?

We don't do many illusions up to this point, so this is fairly new to me, although I have been involved in the magic scene for about 20 years now.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated Smile

Thanks!

Jay
Jay Buchanan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Jay,
The stair stepped base is my personal preference however there are MANY design subtleties beyond that point. Tilford's builders can be "hit and miss". Some do a great job while others...well Smile

If you choose to make a purchase, INSIST on detailed photos. Direct Side Views, Front Views and all the way around. If he wants to make the sale...he will get it done. Then, you look at the base and decide for yourself. Be VERY careful here. It is a lot of money and I would hate to see you eating it and having a really cool new Coffee Table instead of an illusion.

I would love to build this for you but my schedule is too packed. Keep me on your list for future builders. I submit full color computers renderings from all views in scale for your approval as well as back everything w/ a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
Ok, enough sales talk and good luck!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Thanks Wolf!!

I will certainly get in touch with you about future plans. Smile

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it!
Jay Buchanan
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
My advice would be not to buy from Tilford period...

(Whooops, did I say that!)
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Okay Lee,
I was making a feeble attempt to be patronistic to a company which I have been accused of "ripping" on. So the sheep's clothing is off and I am back to the Big Bad Wolf. Smile
Chance Wolf

fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
We have this illusion using a bevel base, much thinner looking from the front than the step base.
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
What's up with Doug?

Bad business?
Bad products?

What's the deal?

I am very interested in reviews since I have been in touch with him and planned on buying two illusions from him over the next 2 or 3 months. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jay Buchanan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Jay,
That question is a can of worms that has been opened several times in the Café. I got in trouble, as well as others, for simply being honest. Go figure. Here is my advice. If you plan to spend several THOUSAND dollars on an illusion or two... DUMP the MIDDLE MAN and talk to the manufacturer of the effect. If the builder or middleman give you ANY reason why you may not discuss the illusion with the manufacturer, find somewhere else to spend your hard earned cash.

One last tip— research, within the Café, references of people who have the paticular effect or one built by the manufacturer. Get their opinion on quality, delivery time and customer support. We have our phonelines open 24-7 for anybody who buys our products. It is the least we can do for you guys.

Good luck,
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic

JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Gotcha Chance.

I don't want anyone to get in trouble, so I will simply hold off and do more research here. I appreciate your honesty and time.

Like I had said, I have been performing for a long time, but the whole illusion thing is new to me. I really appreciate all of your guys time here. Smile

Thanks again!
Jay Buchanan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
No sweat Jay. One last tip... take your time deciding! We get all warm and fuzzy thinking about a new effect. This has clouded my judgement far too many times.

Take care,
chance Smile

JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Hi again.

I just want to thank everyone here for their help.

I have been in contact with Doug and he has gone out of his way for me. He has been answering my emails at 1:30am, answering me on Easter Sunday, etc...

He has provided me with every ounce of information that I have asked for.

I have decided to give him my business. He's definitely earned it at this point.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice.
I will be more present on this board in the future, looking forward to chatting with you all.

Also, thanks to you fxmagik, we are going with the beveled base. After some more research by Doug and some measurements of my assistant, he felt the bevel base was a better buy.

Thanks again!

Smile
Jay Buchanan
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Do let us know how it turns out.

The very best of luck to you. Smile
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I have Chance Wolf's ABC Gum machine and it is exquisitely built. I thought it was for kid's shows, but boy was I wrong. Adults think it is a scream.
I would wait until he has time for your project.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Hey JB,

I think what others are trying to say is that there are dealers known for their honesty and integrity and there are dealers who are known for proudly offering knockoffs and ripoffs to anyone with a few bucks. Be sure you know who you're dealing with...

There are many excellent builders who will deal with you directly and build exactly what you want. Some of the good guys are: Bill Smith, John Gaughan, Wellington Enterprises, Chalet, Owen Redwine, Steve Keeler, Bruce Chadwick. All of these do great work.

Murray
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
The best boxes are the ones that you admire close up.

If someone tells you it doesn't make any difference because the audience is minimum fifteen feet away and will not see the flaw ... well ... it will probably make a difference to you in your performance, so always choose something you can get close to and admire.
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Kline
Quote:
I have decided to give him my business.

Another one bites the dust !
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
JB.
One word of caution here regarding the deceptiveness of the base. I would not get too hung up on the style stepped or tapered as much as the design that goes into making the base deceptive.

Being somewhat obsessed with thin bases I have seen many many versions close up. Most here would say that a tapered base in general is more deceptive. I would tend to agree, under one condition. That it is designed well, by someone who understands the methods of breaking up thickness over any given plane. I have seen poorly designed tapers that look 3 inches thicker than a properly designed stepped base. So whatever base you decide to go with, look carefully at many versions of that style and be sure your builder incorporates the best of those designs.

My two cents,

Scott
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Hi guys!

I took a while in thinking about it and I finally bought the Crystal Casket from Doug.
I just recieved it and wanted to post my thoughts on it.

I am impressed with the craftsmanship. The taper looks extremely thin, and the product is very sturdy. It looks great close-up and far away.
It operates smoothly and breaks down very quickly and easily.
The case is very well made and it all pakcs nicely into it.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

It ran a few days past the "due date" and Doug immediately upped the shipping to 2 day at no extra cost. I never asked for this, he just did it.

Overall, the purchase, the product, the operations, all a great experience.

Thank you all for your help through this.

Jay
Jay Buchanan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I need some advice. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL