The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Wolverine Formula by Jordan Johnson and Blacks Magic - DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
New Blacks Magic DVD out with Jordan Johnson ( he's the "Holy Grail" torn & restored card guy ).

Anyone have this yet?

Here's a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3cokBO98qI

The Wolverine Formula - where regeneration of seemingly normal objects happens right in front of your very own eyes.

Just like the comic book character himself who could regenerate after an injury, you can take cards and dollar bills and push a solid pen right through them, and they appear to heal as if nothing happened!

THE WOLVERINE FORMULA is a mind blowing HOUR + long, three trick DVD, that allows you to create miracles and amaze your spectators with incredible magic. There are gaffed pens, no tape, and no magnets. Just you and your audience.

Running Time Approximately 72min
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Glad to see this is finally out (it looks like it just hit Murphy's, so should be available at your favorite shop soon).

There's a big thread on this in "Latest and Greatest" and I think the demo looks great!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
This looks good, but I really didn't like the Holy Grail.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Wow. that was boring. I hope that's not from the actual DVD.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
It's not. . .the dvd is shot in a studio. I think it was a good demo because a lot of demo's these days, you don't get to see the whole effect. With this demo, you see a few versions of the effect clearly with no cuts or edits other than to introduce the effect.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
928 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Quote:
There are gaffed pens, no tape, and no magnets. Just you and your audience.

SWEET - I love Gaffed Pen tricks ;-)

Three questions about this:

(1) The spec signs both sides of the card just once?
(2) The sig can be seen by the spec both during the penetration and after the heal?
(3) The card can be given to the spec at the end?

The video would indicate a yes to all three - but just wanted to be sure. If this is the case then hats off to you, Jordan - this is lovely.

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
557 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
LOL ya I saw that typo too and correction THERE ARE NO GAFFED PENS!!!

And just to clear it up for you jamie:
the spec can sign both sides of the card, the card box, your newborn baby, and your grandmother with no switches ever.
The signature can be seen up, down, sideways, slantways, backwards, through a mirror, with one eye closed, or my favorite crosseyed, and the signature never leaves site.
The card and/or dollar bill can be handed away at the end and you are as clean as a bottle of soapy bleach.

Cant wait to hear what you guys think of it!

JJ
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
557 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Here is a pre-release review from a random guy that I sent a copy to that was posted in latest and greatest thread.

Jordon Johnson: The Wolverine Formula: Pre Release Review

To begin with, I should point out the Jordan put together a very in-depth video which he sent to me. This review will be about the effects themselves but I cannot comment on the quality of the product just yet. Although this is the case, the video sent to me was fantastically in depth so I’m guessing the DVD will be fantastic.

Wolverine Formula with a card:

Well this one was a surprise to me. I’m not sure what I was expecting method wise but it surly wasn’t this. The method is clever, cunning and VERY well thought out. Everything has been carefully considered and developed. I was taken through the thinking behind the effect and shown how and why it is being constructed the way it is. The gimmick itself is invisible and completely undetectable. As I followed along with the DVD, I doubted how it would pan out at the end, but the finished product is unbelievably deceptive. What’s so “ballsey” about this effect is the gimmick is right in front of the spectator the whole time but they will never find it. Under intense NASA style inspection, it will not be found. Everything is examined before and after and it really can be handed out straight after the effect.

Now, although this may seem well and good, it comes at a price. The price is your time. I can already hear the moans from magicians saying how long these take to construct. The first time I made the first gimmick, it took me a while granted. Since then I have made many more and mow have it down to minutes. You will need to construct a new gimmick each time you perform the effect and carry them on you but it’s really not a big deal. The effect is well worth the effort. I now have it down to 5 minutes per gimmick which I don’t think is bad at all.

In performance, this works beautifully. The card is fairly examined before hand, given away at the end and completely stuns the spectator. What I like the most about this is the use of ordinary props, a borrowed pen and a normal playing card. I'm sure when doing a “pen thru” effect with perhaps a gimmicked pen, some smart *** spectator asks you to use there pen. Guess what? Now you can! I think this is a winner and I think people will like and use this often. My only note would say, practice making the gimmicks and get it down quickly.

Wolverine Formula with a bill:

This version of the effect particularly excited me as there are so many more options. To my utter upset, turns out this was tailored to American bills. However, the way Jordan has designed the effect; it’s very easily adapted to most currencies. I created mine from a £5 note. Jordan’s method is very similar to the card version but you have to opportunity to make only one gimmick for hundreds of performances! That’s right, you make one gimmick and you can reuse it. The gimmick takes about 2 minutes to make and is just as deceptive. Jordan also talked about the signing of the bill and the non signing of the bill. He gives you options of handing it back out to the spectator. The only problem I have with this is they will be spending it. You’ll understand when you see the video but I have the funny image of some poor shop owner being rather concerned about the bill. However, this is a very minor thing and I don’t think matters at all.

This version in performance is absolutely hilarious. Unlike most other pen through bills, the pure tear in the bill really freaks people out. Unlike most other Pen Thru Bills I perform, people find this one more un-nerving and people get genuinely upset by it. It’s so believable to think that the pen has punctured the bill because there is no possible way that the pen couldn’t have done the damage.

The sum up:

Overall I believe that The Wolverine formula will impress and get the reactions you really want. I also think that a card and bill aren’t where the Formula ends. I think this could be used in many other situations and I think people will have the opportunity to use the same methodology in different ways. I think it’s a winner and people will love the deceptiveness of it.

All I have left to do is congratulate Jordan on a fantastic effect. This one will tear you up from the inside out!
Best Wishes,

JamieD
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
This typo is serious man, producer never read through and recheck before put it into production?
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
928 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Hi Ahzhe - the typo was on Chris' post here but not present on Murphy's site so I think it's all good ;-)

Jordan - sounding better and better! I don't think prep time is a downside at all for such a strong effect.

Jamie.
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
Chris is just copied from murphys, the typo can be found in murphys as well as the dvd itself
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
928 Posts

Profile of jbadman
No it's not. I checked and it's fine on Murphy's.

Jamie.
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
Yeah, they have corrected it
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
680 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Thanks for the link Christopher......
Nice Product....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Sorry guys. I just did a copy and paste. Glad watchful eyes caught it!

Thanks!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
No one got it yet?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I watched the DVD yesterday. The review above seems accurate. I haven't tested it out yet, but just from watching the demo and the DVD, I know that I prefer the dollar bill version, which incidentally is also much easier to make.

I always liked the "Pen Through Anything" trick, but I think this beats the heck out of using a gaffed pen.

Robert
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
557 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Thanks for the kind words Robert! I'm so glad you like this. I hope it serves you well in the future.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Wolverine Formula by Jordan Johnson and Blacks Magic - DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL