The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Stopping the Masked Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I can understand freedom of speech, but can magicians sue the masked magician and the broadcast if we are losing a lot of business?
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
We can sue him for slander. If his words are hurting others, then he can be sued. Let's see someone with deep pockets go after him.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or we can ignore him, and he will go away.

Or we can finally figure out that it is not the secrets that are the "magic".

Or we can just realise that people have a VERY short attention span, and won't remember most of what he puts on the TV.

Or better yet lets all run scared and make it even more of a public spectacle so it draws more attention to him, and therefore gives him a larger platform. Up to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I saw about 10 minutes of one of these shows the other day.

It was terrible.

Boring and poorly done, I cannot imagine why they are even bothering to air them. Even if, as a lay person, I did have some interest in knowing the secrets of magic, I wouldn't be able to endure this show for more than the 10 minutes I did waste on it.

They'd probably garner better ratings by airing old episodes of The Three Stooges! (it IS on right after Pro Wrestling you know...)

What interested me the most is how the show focused on exposing how magicians would do magic on television (Hi Chris, Hi David!) Very little close-up and very few illusions exposed (although for the illusions I guess he already exposed most of them on the "specials").

The thing that really sucks about this sort of show it that it gives lay-people an idea about how a trick could possibly be done -even if it's so whack as to be totally unbelievable. They saw it on TV so it must be true... If your spectators think they know how it's done, then in their minds, they DO know how it's done. And what you've performed ceases to be "magic" and instead is merely a "trick" -and a trick that they "figured out", at that...

It's a bummer, but what'cha gonna do? Hopefully the ratings are so abysmal (and really, they ought to be. Man this show stinks!) the show simply "disappears".
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3213 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Many years ago Tipper Gore lobbied against the music business and had warning labels placed on cd's, albums etc based on what she felt was "raw" language, titles etc.It actually increased sales. Im not convinced this tv show will necessarily hurt business.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 22:27, Rizzo wrote:
Many years ago Tipper Gore lobbied against the music business and had warning labels placed on cd's, albums etc based on what she felt was "raw" language, titles etc.It actually increased sales. Im not convinced this tv show will necessarily hurt business.

Remember "backwards masking"? When she tried to protect us from "dyslexic satanists"? That was good comedy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 15:57, Dannydoyle wrote:
Or we can ignore him, and he will go away.

We have ignored him and he has returned and returned and returned and...
QED
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, VA
74 Posts

Profile of QED
I think we need to track down his fat simian *** and remove his opposable thumbs... Smile
David Quidas
Alexandria, VA

I'm here to tell ya, and I don't mind tellin' ya, but I ain't sayin' nothin', if ya know what I'm sayin'...
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The best argument to make would exposure of 'trade secrets.' However, since these are available to anyone who's willing to pay the money for the effect, it's moot. When a trick is purchased, the secret is purchased. The one purchasing now 'owns' the secret, and can essentially do as he, or she, wishes. To include exposure. Since tricks can't be copyrighted, you can't claim infringement. They can, however, be patented. All issued patents can be viewed on the website of the US Patent Office though.

There is perhaps one way, though. Magic, as we already know, cannot be copyrighted, dances, however, can. Dances are a sequence of moves...much like magic. (In most respects). If we want to stop exposure, we would have to petition somehow for magic to fall under the same copyrighted protection of dances. I foresee this causing problems though.

Any time someone wanted to perform 'copyrighted' works, he would have to seek permission, the copyright holder could easily deny anyone he saw fit. Any variations put out would also have to go through a process and lawsuits could result if the 'variation' wasn't deemed different enough, then the courts would have to decide and we may end up with exposure in the courtroom (remember that scene from The Prestige?)

What it comes down to is, there may be something we could do, but the effort isn't worth it, especially given the consequences. So what can we do? Deal with it.
Crimson-Death
View Profile
New user
Since 2006
88 Posts

Profile of Crimson-Death
This show is from the FOX network and affiliates right?
What else could I have expected out of that kind of network?
The only good thing out of there is House M.D., maybe Bones.
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Okay, who sold him a zombie or a twister?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 15:26, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Okay, who sold him a zombie or a twister?

The line started at the right. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Let's call up the magic mafia. Anyone have Sal's number?
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
He couldn't be sued for slander -- or anything else.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The Masked Magician, hmmm.... He is why I gave up Magic.

Not because people know how I do my Magic but because the Art of Magic has lost the respect it deserves...

Some may disagree but I feel it is incredibly disrespected.

As if that was all there is to it, the secrets.

Even if you believe that the secrets are not the big thing in Magic, that Show certainly makes it look like it is.

And that people seem to believe.

Which is the real damage imo... You see, techniques can change or evolve, but the respect was lost a decade ago.

Well, at least in my opinion.

Feel free to disagree.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
And still magicians continue to fool lay people and other magicians alike......on top of that, occasionally an audience is entertained.
Wes
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
If you think magic is disrespected, why wouldn't you try to do your part in making it a respectable art again, rather than giving up?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 09:08, Andrewzuber wrote:
If you think magic is disrespected, why wouldn't you try to do your part in making it a respectable art again, rather than giving up?

Tilting at windmills?
You know why don't act naive.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 09:08, Andrewzuber wrote:

Didn't give up really.

I am now, for all intents and purposes, a very happy Mentalist. Smile

It took that to show me the wonders of the Mentalism approach.

Bittersweet really but it was MY silver lining in an otherwise really dark cloud.

Well, anyway, Magic is in good hands as far as I can see... Smile

You guys go do your thing. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea where is ol MM now?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Stopping the Masked Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL