We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Ask me for Clothing/Fashion Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I'd be glad to help with any other questions.

I may write a lengthier post about choosing suits soon. In a nutshell: Check eBay and discount stores for high quality (but not big brand name)suits. Cantarelli, Caruso, Zegna, Ralph Lauren's Purple and Black Labels, Oxxford that sort of thing.

Or go to a place like Target or H&M for a well-fitting, budget option.

Mid range choices like Men's Wearhouse and cheaper department store brands are a false economy. You're paying way too much for cheap materials and construction.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Natanel, Any fashion forward advice for bigger performers who just aren't into the potato sack route that is most often available to bbm...bigger beautiful men? I've always thought that there should be a plus size international male as some of their ideas totally fit my over-the-top personality! For now I'll rock my vast collection of Hawaiian Shirts and Garbadine Pants.

AC
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 13:12, adam christopher wrote:
Natanel, Any fashion forward advice for bigger performers who just aren't into the potato sack route that is most often available to bbm...bigger beautiful men? I've always thought that there should be a plus size international male as some of their ideas totally fit my over-the-top personality! For now I'll rock my vast collection of Hawaiian Shirts and Garbadine Pants.

AC

There is a lot for the larger performer, unfortunately it can skew pretty expensive. Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto is renowned for using models of all sorts of proportions and his flowing, draped clothes are very elegant on a bulkier stature. It is very pricey in America, but will pop up on discount sites like yoox.com and ebay. He also has a slightly less pricey diffusion line called Y's for men that is certainly worth checking out.

I think one of the best dressed men in contemporary fashion is Alber Elbaz of Lanvin. (and one of the best designers to boot) So I would recommend looking to him and other people with larger frames for inspiration.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Can I wear cufflinks and a wristwatch at the same time? I like French cuff shirts, but I'm working on a few bits that involve using a timepiece. Similarly, what about a tie-bar and a pocket-watch with a chain?
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 02:30, BMF wrote:
Can I wear cufflinks and a wristwatch at the same time? I like French cuff shirts, but I'm working on a few bits that involve using a timepiece. Similarly, what about a tie-bar and a pocket-watch with a chain?

Aboslutely, this is a common look in some areas of business.

The way to do this properly is to have your accessories relate to each other - a thin leather banded watch calls for small demure cuff links, while a big clunky metal band calls for big clunky metal cufflinks. I personally wouldn't do a tie bar and a pocket watch (the confluence of those two might seem affected - you're already on shakey ground with the watch) but if you do make sure they match in color and material (ie bronze with bronze or stainless steel with stainless steel)
Zed
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Zed
Greetings Natanel,

I'm upgrading from flea market vendor to pitchman, pitchman demoing kitchen gadgets.

I was thinking of white pants and a blue long sleeve shirt with suspenders...
I had heard blue is the best color to wear if you are selling something...
I purchased a Columbia long sleeve blue shirt 100% polyester (hoping it would be cool on a hot day)....tried out the outfit yesterday while running errands (with the suspenders). I looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy bound up but not gagged <grin>.

Here is some info that may or may not be helpful to you to help me achieve my "professional demoing look".

I live in the southern USA, very hot and sweaty about 364 days of the year...

White EZ up tent. (in other places they call it a canopy)

Favorite color Royal Purple

Some years back when my hair was shorter, I was asked to join a Kenny Rogers look alike contest... I now have short neatly trimmed gray beard and a long gray pony tail. If I can get my girlfriend to braid my hair it looks great, but she lives 40 miles away... so I just pull it back and load on the hair spray...

I'm 5'9" and wear 42 X 30 pants. So I got the Columbia shirt a little bigger to fit around my waist and when I added the suspenders, then I got the scrunched up look..

I've never had a sense of fashion, but now I want to achieve a "professional distinctive look"... I had thought of suspenders, does not appear like a good idea, girlfriend suggested big big bowtie.. well it's hot down hear and I don't want to look like a clown.. (I'm a pitchman). I thought if I had a distinctive look and always looked the same then people would recognize me and associate me with my product. I had thought of stars and stripes suspenders or ones with stars on them, but since they looked so bad on me, I've scrapped the suspender idea. It would be nice to have some accessory to add to my outfit to give me a distinctive look. I plan on polishing my pitch and then on to home shows, fair's etc. etc...

So, Natanel, here I am, your challenge... <grin>, thanks in advance for taking the time and effort to help me achieve "my look" with some great looking clothes and possibly that one accessory that I am unable to think of....

C'ya,
Zed
lewisswiresmagic
View Profile
New user
London
35 Posts

Profile of lewisswiresmagic
Hello,
If you are living in the UK, definately worth investing in a few decent (cheaper) suits from places like Moss, Burton and Topman... However I generally perform wearing A pair of smart jeans and a plain tshirt. If I'm doing a 'fancy' do, I will put on a shirt and prefer to consentrate on Mentalism over card effects etc... But I think the most important thing is look tidy and presentable, smell nice, if you smoke, don't smoke during your performance because non smokers don't want to be close to someone stinking of smoke.

Oh and invest in best shoes you can, personally something that will last, look good and keep shape... Loake, Churches and for UK residents... NEXT make decent shoes on the italia range. (i prefer chelsea boots with a zip). And wear a belt!

that's my wee rant over...
Any suggestions, comments critiscism's let me know...
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Zed: You are a bigger guy living in the south. I can think of nothing more perfect for you then a seersucker suit. Your best option would probably be Brooks Brothers for a nice traditional American cut. A white seersucker suit with a light blue shirt and a printed bowtie sounds perfect. If you're particularly adventurous you can throw a short brimmed hat in the mix,

A linen or wrinkled cotton suit could work as well, bit it won't have the same "pitchman" cache.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Natanel,

Jacket (Blazer), t-shirt, jeans and trainers - yay or nay?

Cheers, John
Zed
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Zed
Greetings Natanel,

Thanks to you, I now have a plan....

White seersucker suit American cut, 100% cotton? blue shirt I presume and a printed bow tie....

I have a white hat, that looks real similar to a "Panama Hat", the brim is 2 3/4" wide.... I can take a picture of mine if needed. Found one similar online
"Panama Fedora hat. New York hat co". Just did a google search and found the same hat, except mine has a 7/8" black hat band... its a FidePal Sombreo. The Panama hat band looks wider than mine.

Having no fashion "sense" at all as in none, zero, zip. I can tell you how to put a transmission in a Ford Van...if you need any help in that area. Please let me know what the "short brimmed hat's name is". Then I can find one.

I have a few days off and I will get measured for a suit tomorrow (it's been years since my last measurement)and then I can look locally and online... The only shoes I can think of are those "white bucks like Pat Boon used to wear" or since I'll be behind the demo table, I have some white Nike's.....

Thanks for your help,
C'ya,
Zed
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Zed, I really abhorr the thought that you might wear nikes with your outfit! white bucks would be great, or just a nice brown penny loafer. You can always put insoles in for comfort, but as footwear is often the anchor of an outfit, I think nikes would really harm this.

A short-brimmed hat is exactly what it sounds like, I was imagining a pork pie hat (think Gene Hackman in the French connection) but I think a Panama would work very well.

I have to worn you, you may be alittle shocked by the pricetag of a good Americna suit, but quality is worth it and something nice from Brooks Brothers is worth far more then several poor suits from a Men's Wearhouse.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 22:46, john scot wrote:
Natanel,

Jacket (Blazer), t-shirt, jeans and trainers - yay or nay?

Cheers, John

This is a hard look to pull off. If done well it can look very hip and edgy, but 99% of the time it just looks like "Dad trying to be cool."

I rarely wear sneakers, but I do often wear a blazer with a t-shirt and jeans (including when I perform). I wear a dark long sleeved tee with a black wrinkled cotton/cashmere blazer and slim black jeans. I do however always wear derbies (laceup dress shoes) with this, as I like to dress it up.

First of all everything would need to have a slim modern silhouette and the t shirt should almost certainly be plain and one color. The jeans should be dark and have a slim, straight cut and the blazer should be simple and, ideally, unconstructed. A more formal blazer with shoulder padding would look really out of place in this look.

As for the trainers, chunky Nikes or Reeboks et al are a big no no. Simple, unadorned sneakers are the way to go. I would personally wear the Italian brand Common projects, as they are nice and clean and made of high-grade leather but cheaper options include Vans authentics or Converse Jack Purcells.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Being a slim build, I try to get clothes that fit my body. The trainers I sometimes wear are Adidas martial arts shoes but usually I’ll wear my brown Lambretta loafers.

Here's a pic-

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=16......21619492

I would also wear a grey jacket and white tee (like avatar).
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
^ Looks really good, the only thing I would change is the athletic sneakers. I Think they completely throw off the fit.

You can get classic no-logo Vans in myriad colors for around 50 bucks, or something like Rod Laver vintage Adidas without the stripes and I think that would look much better.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Do red sponge balls go with anything or should one colour coordinate (maybe bunnies are the fashion)?
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2009-04-17 23:22, john scot wrote:
Do red sponge balls go with anything or should one colour coordinate (maybe bunnies are the fashion)?

Your sponge balls should match the background color of your best playing-card tie. Failing this, it should at least relate to the color of your goatee.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 08:29, Natanel wrote:

Your sponge balls should match the background color of your best playing-card tie. Failing this, it should at least relate to the color of your goatee.

What if they match your bowbrows? I don't have a goatee, but I want everything to work together!!

In all seriousness, I usually wear something contrasting to the color of the sponge balls. I use red ones, so I like black, or white, or maybe even light blue if I had too.
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Natanel,

What do you think of the new trend among teenage boys wearing skin tight girl’s jeans? Girls, do you like this? I don’t get it…not that there’s anything wrong with it. Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
It's not just teenage boys, I've seen grown men prance around in skinny jeans and greasy mop-like hairdo!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Ask me for Clothing/Fashion Advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL