The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Trashing a Hard Drive (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Not an internet question, exactly, but how can I render a hard drive unreadable so I can safely dispose of it? I have several sitting around that were replaced with larger drives, or that crashed and were recovered. I need to get rid of these, but I don't want to throw them in the trash without first ensuring that someone won't be able to recover the data.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2613 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 10:46, ClintonMagus wrote:
Not an internet question, exactly,

oh yes it is. type your question into the internet search engine Google.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
You could wipe them clean with software.

Or you could physically destroy them making sure to shatter the platters. A large hammer will do the trick. They could also be crushed in a large enough vice.

Or use a 1/2" diameter drill and drill through the spindle of the platters and also drill a number of holes in the platters.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 11:04, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 10:46, ClintonMagus wrote:
Not an internet question, exactly,

oh yes it is. type your question into the internet search engine Google.

Thank you. However, having the moniker "the SPonge", I assumed you would know the answer.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
satcom
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of satcom
I take my old ones to the range and shoot the living daylights outta them, but that's just me.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Drill 4 holes through the drive and platters, at roughle 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

That is typically what government groups will do with them.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2139 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yup. Despite whatever wiping software, or magnets, or whatever else you may apply, there are still ways for people to recover that data if they reaally want to.

The only way to be totally sure and safe is to physically destroy the drive. Get creative, and get some anger out as well! I like Satcom's shooting range idea...

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Dip the drive in saltwater or bleach. Not bulletproof, but close enough.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Gaddy, I don't think salt water or bleach will eat at the disc surface?.?.

I usually dismantle mine and then break the actual disc/platter into several pieces. That is after I take something sharp and carve some deep lines across the surface.

If you are disposing of a lot of them there are machine that will deface the disc/platter for you.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-10-24 13:59, Banester wrote:
Gaddy, I don't think salt water or bleach will eat at the disc surface?.?.

I usually dismantle mine and then break the actual disc/platter into several pieces. That is after I take something sharp and carve some deep lines across the surface.

If you are disposing of a lot of them there are machine that will deface the disc/platter for you.

I am quite sure it will oxidize a very good size portion (if not all) of the disk. Chlorine is very caustic.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Trashing a Hard Drive (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL