The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
What is your favorite type of art or favorite painting ?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My favorite painting is The Scream, by Munch. In general, I'm a fan of German expressionist painting, and black & white photography.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
This is one of my favorite paintings. You can read about it here and see close ups of various parts of the painting.
`
`
`
WebMuseum: Eyck, Jan van: The Arnolfini Marriage
Address:http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/eyck/arnolfini/
`
`
It is one of only a very few old masters where the artist has painted himself into the painting. In this one, the artist Jan van Eyck painted himself as a spectator of the marriage, in the reflection in the convex mirror. He also signed the back wall in the painting with "Jan van Eyck was here".

We used to have a reproduction in our front hall on an easil and it was really neat because when you walked by the painting, you actually felt you were walking by a mirror, because of the one in the painting.
`
`
It is fun to look at the details of the shoes, as they are very odd looking, and the brass and fur is amazing. I love knowing the artist is in it and signed it the way he did. I love this painting.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Salvador Dali, M.C. Escher, and Norman Rockwell.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
Oh I like The Scream too! Sounds like you have a striking home with the combination of German Expresionism and Black and White photography! I like it!
`
`
I wish I could figure out how to make my link work, and then I could attach links. Can someone tell me how to add them so they work, please?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Gosh!
No favorites. My taste varies.
I like the works of Monet, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Turner and several others.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 17:40, Sorceress wrote:
Oh I like The Scream too! Sounds like you have a striking home with the combination of German Expresionism and Black and White photography! I like it!
`
`

Actually, the home is decorated in early-mid 20th century autographed boxing photos, mostly, with a little Gettysburg thrown in for variety.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
What boxing photos do you. I know a little about boxing. I'll never forget seeing Jack Johnson coming out of the corner with both fists up on each side of his head going after his opponent. You don't see that much. We have a lot of historical artifacts around here. Ancestral civil war artifacts we given to a university so don't have any Gettysburg stuff. Do have some worthless money from the war though!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Robert Bateman (Wildlife)
1930's-40's Motion Picture Poster art (Westerns especially)
Michaelangelo
Disney Conceptuals (various artists)
Dogs Playing Poker (and Shooting Pool)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 18:33, Sorceress wrote:
What boxing photos do you. I know a little about boxing. I'll never forget seeing Jack Johnson coming out of the corner with both fists up on each side of his head going after his opponent. You don't see that much. We have a lot of historical artifacts around here. Ancestral civil war artifacts we given to a university so don't have any Gettysburg stuff. Do have some worthless money from the war though!

I have some good actions shots from Jake LaMotta - the one Robinson fight he won, and the Dauthuille fight, where he scored a knockout with 13 seconds left in the 15th and final round of a fight he was losing on all cards. A great Ali-Frazier I shot autographed by both, a limited edition print of a painting by Muhammad Ali, a couple of autographed Jack Dempseys, various other autographed stuff, e.g. Kid McCoy (possibly the origin of the phrase "the real McCoy"), Joe Louis, Max Baer (lost the heavyweight title to Jimmy "Cinderella Man" Braddock), Jersey Joe Walcott, and more. One of my favorites is from a controversial World Boxing Hall of Fame member, Joey Barnum, which he signed and gave to me after I wrote an article on him.

Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
WOW, that is QUITE a GREAT Collection! Neat that your articles had something to do with it too! That is a VERY Neat collection to have in your house. I would love to see it! I wish we had such a collection! I know who almost all of those men are!
We always watch all the films that come out about boxing and the old stuff on PBS about it.
Do you remember that old black and white movie with Errol Flynn about the English champion when they fought with bare knuckles. That was a great movie, I thought.
I wish I had a film clip of Jack Johnson fighting. I would like to see it again. That was something to see. You know what I am talking about don't you?
Our collection must look very cool in your house! I'd like it.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Frazetta
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
You ALL have very interesting taste! I like what you like too! I had to look up M.C.Escher, but recognized his art right away because it is so great. Those posters sound wonderful Doug, I'd love those! I actually know Bateman's work. Every seen the house in Calistoga, California that is completely painted on the inside as if done by Mchelangelo? The artist covered the interior in frescos. It is very cool.
Wish we could do links. I love to look!
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
Frazetta I had to look up too. Very talented. His work, like Egyptian Queen, reminds me a little of Jean Léon Géróme. Do you know him, Steve?

(You should see the shoes in Gérome's harem paintings. They were not unlike those in the van Eyck painting, but much higher, I guess the floors were hot!)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3165 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Duchamp's "Nude Descending Staircase No. 2" is one of my favorites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ducha......case.jpg

I'm a big fan of surrealism, cubism and DaDa.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I'm a huge fan of pencil work, though I'm biased - I work in pencil myself. As for other works...I don't have any favorite artists (though I don't study it either) I like realism and detail in many forms of media.

.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Edward Hopper, the Nighthawks
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
OH I LOVE "Nude Descending the Staircase"!! Always have, Gaddy! I wish I could see it in person!

Had to Look up The Nighthawks, and was I surprised! It used to be on TCM before every movie! YES, Very nice!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
"The Thinker" a beautiful statue, but if you try to emulate that position, the only you will think about is how much pain you are in. Look at it carefully before you try, most people get the position wrong.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
Rodin! We have one in our local museum and what a genius! Yes, I love "The Thinker". I would love to see the Burghers of Calais and other statues by Rodin. I love art!
Thank you for sharing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite art (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL