The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » WOW (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
A few of my magic friends have WOW and it is visual, but I really didn't think much of it...now that I've read the posts a little I've been thinking...

does anyone remember jay sankey's trick "in captivity" from his revolutionary card magic dvd??? its basically a 2 card transposition with the cards wrapped in electrical tape...it in and of itself is very good and very visual, but the presentation would work just as well with WOW and give a very good reason to use the plastic sleeve instead of tape...just a thought...
Colin Mandel
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Colin Mandel
Do NOT Get this. It only serves as a novelty, and nothing else. It's awful as a magic trick.

Colin
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
I humbly beg to differ - it makes my card to wallet routine a killer. Remember, it's never the trick that makes you, it's your presentation. If you present it as a novelty effect ("hey look, I can make a card change"), you're right and it will suck. On the other hand, if you create a good story and use the gimmick as a supporting player, it plays great. It's like any great tool - how one uses it makes all of the difference in the world. Creative types will love it.

jeff in san diego
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 01:51, jocdoc wrote:
I humbly beg to differ - it makes my card to wallet routine a killer. Remember, it's never the trick that makes you, it's your presentation. If you present it as a novelty effect ("hey look, I can make a card change"), you're right and it will suck. On the other hand, if you create a good story and use the gimmick as a supporting player, it plays great. It's like any great tool - how one uses it makes all of the difference in the world. Creative types will love it.

jeff in san diego

Well said and I fully concur.

There are many tricks that are simply "tricks" if used right out of the box and nothing more. I have my routine and it's fantastic. Its simply a matter of taking the time to give some thought and one other very important factor for a magician to have. I believe it's called.....imagination!
To each his own.........

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
As in may cases in life, it's what you do with it, and although purists may dislike something like Wow, for performers who are far more interested in the effect something has on an audience and their reactions, it never fails to leave the desired impression.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
This gimmicky sleeve reminds me of Paul Harris' Reality Twister -- which is so proppy, but a lot of magicians say lay audiences love it. These type of effects, if shown to an analytical, engineer type will easily figure out what this little plastic thing does.

However, JocDoc's CTW routine incorporating the mini wallet and WOW with the cellphone is a wonderful routine. It really becomes entertaining, rather than just a selected card is "transformed" inside of this cheesy plastic sleeve.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
With some reservations, this is my routine. I have done it over 100 times and have NEVER had a grabber. Most of the time it is a big WOW.

How many of you remember or are familiar with Star Trek? My name is Mr. Spock and I travel through the universe in this space ship. Would you like to join me? Please select a card from this face up spread and write your name across it. Replace it in the deck which will represent our earth. I usually use an alias because I don't want everyone to know me. I will use a card from the top of the deck, which in this particular case is the 6 of hearts. I will now enter the space ship and start my traveling. Oh, would you like to join me? You are lost someplace on earth. Do you know the famous words to be transported up to my ship? Please say it and watch very closely what happens, "Beam me up Scotty". ( VERY slowly pass the spaceship over the cards which are now spread face down.)

WOW
(remove their card from the ship}
Here is your card and Mr. Spock is now somewhere on earth smiling with you. (spread the cards and find the 6 of hearts. Give them both cards to look at and put the space ship away. I let them keep their signed cards which they almost always accept. I have an empty sleeve just in case but have never had to use it to date.)

If you do not live in the Myrtle Beach area, please feel free to use this routine.

Magically
Merl
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
At first, I thought WOW was just a novelty and nothing more. But, I guess if you present it with a little imagination, you can have a really decent effect.
<BR>Mikey M.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I've seen jocdoc's routine, and it is a terrific use of the WOW.

John
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Thanks, John, glad you liked it. It's a fun routine for me (as they ALL should be).
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Seems as though it now has one with a Joker.

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/221

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
And more will come....
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Man, I have to say that this Joker version is my favorite. Makes it much easier to repeat the trick in a strolling situation.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Unfortunatley, I am sure we'll see these also made by others for a fraction of a price.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 22:49, Cameron Francis wrote:
Man, I have to say that this Joker version is my favorite. Makes it much easier to repeat the trick in a strolling situation.

Yes, the one with the Joker (Wild Card) would make more sense as opposed to the number card.
But, I would still find it necessary in having a reason for the sleeve. I've gotten around that with the number card in always using the same card and the sleeve so I can repeat for the same people and would then have no reason to purchase the Joker version albeit it's a move in the right direction.

Quote:
On 2008-12-17 13:00, JSBLOOM wrote:
Unfortunatley, I am sure we'll see these also made by others for a fraction of a price.

And more likely than not poorly made.

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I'm surprised by so many negative comments about WOW which I find gets fantastic results. My justification for the case is calling it a matter transformer and I make a point of elaborating on this aspect so the specs feel happy with what they are looking at - it generally raises a smile as well.
The impact of clearly putting in one card and changing it to the signed selection is huge. Having done this hundreds of times I don't think I have ever heard anybody doubt that the 9D entered the case and people always want to inspect the signed card afterwards wondering where the 9D went. I always put the WOW straight back into my shirt pocket and no one has ever asked to see it.
Just remember to take it out before putting in the washing machine......a costly mistake!
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 20:08, sadhu1 wrote:
The idea sounds great.

It is, if you take the time and effort to present it correctly.
In my opinion if it's presented as per the instructions I feel it is very poor as there is no logic to it.

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

targetintellect
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of targetintellect
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 04:03, itsmagic wrote:
This gimmicky sleeve reminds me of Paul Harris' Reality Twister -- which is so proppy, but a lot of magicians say lay audiences love it. These type of effects, if shown to an analytical, engineer type will easily figure out what this little plastic thing does.

However, JocDoc's CTW routine incorporating the mini wallet and WOW with the cellphone is a wonderful routine. It really becomes entertaining, rather than just a selected card is "transformed" inside of this cheesy plastic sleeve.

I respectfully differ. I used this effect at a Satellite trade show I do annually in DC. The attendees are top engineers who develop and launch satellites. Many came back with their colleagues to see this nifty effect again. I know it sounds silly but some thought there were heat sensors?!? My client dealt with L-Band Distribution; so I tied in a message about delivering signal without error.

I usually dislike gimmicky stuff, but to laymen, this really does deliver a WOW reaction. A strong presentation is all you need.

- Frank
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Visual changes is the interesting things of this product...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Gaffed I respect your opinion and you make some very valid points. However if you get a chance to see Bernard Billis perform this effect You may change your the way you thing about wow.
I believe it is on you tube some where
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » WOW (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL