The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Try using this joke and let me know how it works! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
With the price of fuel going up, and oddly enough still doing kids parties etc I improved this joke at a show. It has worked really well to get a laugh from the adults(which I think is all that keeps them involved in my kids shows)

As I approach my sound system to change a musical number

"I usually travel with an assistant but with the price of Gasonline I left her at home to do the dishes"

that's all I said and it has recieved laughs at every show. I may use it while speaking with the adults before my show etc.

Cheers
Chaz
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Good joke
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of Futureal
"Gasonline"? Huh? Was that meant to be gasoline?

But it still doesn't make sense, the fact that you travel alone or take one person with you in the car isn't going to affect your gas price. If you are getting laughs presumably it's the part about washing the dishes. I'm lost.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
ONe can say that the magician has to pay more for gas. So he can not afford the assistant!
But removing the gas part could work as effetely.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Well Said Curtis! Thanks!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Great, he can come along to your shows and explain it.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I will try to explain....gas prices went up therefore it cost more to travel, and now I am unable to afford to pay my assistant to help in the show. I can understand your confusion being that I posted this because I wasn't sure why it got laughs either, but believe me it worked

Chaz

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 11:07pm
All I know is it works and is getting laughs.lol

This will maybe clear it up. I do this as I am changing my music over at my pa speaker......Then state usually I have an assistant to do this, but the price of gasoline is so high I can no longer afford to hire her!

I am intersted to at least see where people can take this joke and make it sound really funny and usuable.

Thanks
Chaz
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
"I usually travel with an assistant but with the price of Gasonline I left her at home to do the dishes"

......Then state usually I have an assistant to do this, but the price of gasoline is so high I can no longer afford to hire her!

I prefer the first one as there is more humor in it.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Thank You James

So you prefer

and in your opinion is this joke funny?

Thanks
Chaz
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 01:11, trickychaz wrote:
Thank You James

So you prefer

Thanks
Chaz

I actually laugh at it the first time I read it.

It is not only about the gasoline part but the whole content and especially injecting it with doing the dishes part make it funny.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
On 2008-10-24 20:56, Futureal wrote:

But it still doesn't make sense, the fact that you travel alone or take one person with you in the car isn't going to affect your gas price.

Actually, without going into the fact if the joke is funny or not,
it is a BIG saving in gas price if you travel with one person rather than two.

Even cleaning out the "stuff" you carry around in your car .. golf clubs, sports gear, extra tools etc can add up to savings at the pump over time.

Timothy "The EnviroMentalist" Hyde
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
343 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 01:11, trickychaz wrote:
Thank You James

So you prefer

Thanks
Chaz

I think the joke is funny... no need to over analyze it.

If I had written it, I'd probably have written something more like "I used to hire an assistant for this, but with the price of gas I left her home to do the dishes."

I think the cause of the laugh in either case is that the audience is thinking of hiring outside help as your assistant. The funny part is where you reveal it's your spouse. I can see it. Not sure how it would play at a club, but it does have that lead 'em down the garden path and then jerk them left approach to it.

Gary
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-10-24 21:28, Futureal wrote:
Great, he can come along to your shows and explain it.

That's the spirit! Nothing like a bit of sarcasm to help a fellow magician!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I'm sure this won't go over with the women in the audience as well as the men.

It is a bit sexist...

I personally wouldn't use it.

Lyndel
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 09:57, Lyndel wrote:
I'm sure this won't go over with the women in the audience as well as the men.

It is a bit sexist...

I personally wouldn't use it.

Lyndel

You are right but some women may like it.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Some women enjoy getting physically abused too, but I'll go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of them do not... Smile

Lyndel
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Yup, some ladies like these jokes. Especially in the Asia Pacific countries.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My wife would show you her list of credentials and degrees just before she castrated you!
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 21:34, MickeyPainless wrote:
My wife would show you her list of credentials and degrees just before she castrated you!

I like your wife already!

Seriously, if I booked a magician for my son's birthday party, and he used a line like that, I don't care how good the show was, I would not recommend him to my friends. And please, don't use the "you're being too sensitive" line on me. I worked construction for fifteen years!
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I should note that TrickyChaz and I have exchanged cordial, friendly PM's discussing the line and that at his request, I have provided him with several ways to alter the joke to make it funny without being interpreted as offensive.

Here are my suggestions:

I'll have to adjust the music myself... I usually have an assistant that does this, but with the price of gas, she figured it was just cheaper to mail herself to the show. ...She should be here in 3 to 5 days...

Or:

My assistant normally does this, but she's running a little late to the show because she's walking. She's on this new walking fitness kick. She calls it "Walk Fit." But I think she should have called it, "Gas, $4.00 per gallon..."

OR:

My assistant usually takes care of this, but she's running a little late. Actually the tow truck is running a little late. With the price of gasoline these days, she say's it's cheaper just to call Triple A and have them tow you to where you want to go!

I honestly don't think that the youthful TrickyChaz meant to be controversial or inflammatory, but rather, was just soliciting input on a line he had thought of from more experienced entertainers.

As I mentioned to him in PM, the Café is the place to ask others advice, get input on lines they are considering using, etc. The Café is a place for magicians to help magicians. Nobody's upset at ya TrickyChaz. It's all good.

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Try using this joke and let me know how it works! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL