The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Torn 2 Pieces presentation (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
I would like some feedback on my idea for T2P. I was thinking about the impact symbols can have on us as humans. Some symbols, like a white dove, creates feelings of calm and peace, but some symbols create feelings of pure evil.

I thought of the svastika, being maybe the strongest symbol of evil in modern time, and wanted to do something to fight that evil.

My idea is to show some pictures of symbols and end with a picture of a svastika. Then talk about it being what it is, and then tearing it apart to show how much I dislike it. Then, when I restore it, the svastika is destroyed and instead a red rose is shown in the picture.

What do you think of this presentation? Is it to serious? Will people be offended? Will my image give away the secret of the trick?

Take a look at the picture and please give me some feedback.

Thank you.

Click here to view attached image.
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and went pro.
JFmagic
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
75 Posts

Profile of JFmagic
I liked Shawn's idea. I came up with using a picture of baseball player and saying it got ripped by a fan of the other team. But I think Shawn's idea fits any magicians character unlike mine.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 30, 2014, AndreJ wrote:
I would like some feedback on my idea for T2P. I was thinking about the impact symbols can have on us as humans. Some symbols, like a white dove, creates feelings of calm and peace, but some symbols create feelings of pure evil.

I thought of the svastika, being maybe the strongest symbol of evil in modern time, and wanted to do something to fight that evil.

My idea is to show some pictures of symbols and end with a picture of a svastika. Then talk about it being what it is, and then tearing it apart to show how much I dislike it. Then, when I restore it, the svastika is destroyed and instead a red rose is shown in the picture.

What do you think of this presentation? Is it to serious? Will people be offended? Will my image give away the secret of the trick?

Take a look at the picture and please give me some feedback.

Thank you.

It all depends on the character you are playing. I would not do this because I like my magic to be very lighthearted, but if that is the style of magic you do it will work great.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Alden
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Alden
Hi guys, looking for some assistance if anyone can help. Have had T2P for quite some time but filed it away in back of a drawer where I discovered it only recently. Trying to get the templates to required photo with GIMP but no joy at all, can anyone suggest another programme that's easy to use for this?, not being the most tech savy I am hoping someone might be good enough to assist with advice. I could I guess bring it into a local print shop but not mad on giving away the secret to complete strangers.

Many Thanks,
Aiden.
joelclyne
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of joelclyne
Ive just discovered this fantastic trick and thought I would add my photo ideas to it. Im actually using a picture of Frankensteins monster. My patter story of creating the monster. It gives me an excuse to tear it up as he was created from various body parts. I use a kids toy ray gun that has a flint inside and produces sparks (google sparking toy gun) that I get the layman to shoot at the picture to simulate the lightning strike and I can use the retrieving or returning of the gun as cover. When I reveal, I say that the sparks must have not been as powerful as lightning as it didn't quite get it right, then reveal. Its great for doing at Halloween.
jordanamystika
View Profile
New user
IN
52 Posts

Profile of jordanamystika
Love shawns tip Smile haha
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
I like the idea of starting with a mismatched image, realizing the error (darn print shop messed up again), and restoring it to perfection. It just seems more aesthetically pleasing to start with something more undesireable (mismade image) only to end with something that is more aesthetically pleasing.
On the other hand, an idea I recently had involves a new image lining up when the image is torn and restored mismade (Imagine mismade image overlaid with a different normal image), which could go with some nice patter about looking at things differently or something. Imagine a picture of something unpleasant with red splotches in the corner, only to be torn and restored to reveal the red splotches form a single flower in the center.
Just some ideas.
When I say mismade, I mean like a mismade dollar; aka inside out
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
I like the idea of starting with a mismatched image, realizing the error (darn print shop messed up again), and restoring it to perfection. It just seems more aesthetically pleasing to start with something more undesireable (mismade image) only to end with something that is more aesthetically pleasing.
On the other hand, an idea I recently had involves a new image lining up when the image is torn and restored mismade (Imagine mismade image overlaid with a different normal image), which could go with some nice patter about looking at things differently or something. Imagine a picture of something unpleasant with red splotches in the corner, only to be torn and restored to reveal the red splotches form a single flower in the center.
Just some ideas.
When I say mismade, I mean like a mismade dollar; aka inside out
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Wasn't your last idea identical to the one 8 posts up?
Reality is a real killjoy.
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
Wasn't your last idea identical to the one 8 posts up?

Whoops, just noticed that. I was just dumping my ideas down. Aesthetically, the svastiksa and rose look geometrically pleasing, but I would definitely try to avoid using symbols such as the svastika in an effect (imagine getting someone to sign that!)
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
I had an I D E A on how to do torn and restore to exactly the same image of letters with no mismatch.
Read carefully and those in the know will undersand how this will work.

Another idea already mentioned on this thread is to use a pop group that has broken up and reformed.
ABBA is a good choice.

Paper Cut by Elvis Zheng and TCC is such a cool take on this theme and I assume works in a similar way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Torn 2 Pieces presentation (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL