The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow! Awesome! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA&feature=related

Listen to this with your eyes closed. Wear headphones for the best effect.

This is so cool!
-Matt
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had an entire album made up like this once. My favorite moment was when a subway train went by. The creators of the album said they couldn't figure out why listeners insisted the train was "behind" them. They finally came to the conclusion that without visual cues, the brain decided the sound was coming from behind them.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Disappointing- I was expecting a virtual barber shop... quartet.

As for sound positioning, I believe some audio scientists have done studies, and discovered some minor quality of sound that cues the human brain to recognize a sound as being behind you, as opposed to in front. This is what allows Bose to achieve their virtual surround sound with only two speakers.

A book to check out- Oliver Saks' Musicophilia. One of the cases he writes about is a man who went deaf in one ear- and lost the ability to mentally position music in space. For him, all concerts sounded literally 'flat' and lost a subtle, yet vital quality. Eventually, his brain learned to cope with the problem- he would unconsciously turn his head, and piece together the sonic landscape (if the strings were close or far away, or to the left or the right, for example)- achieving a sort of virtual stereophonic hearing.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
Have you noticed that the WEATHER Channel is doing SOUND EFFECT on their 8 minute forecasts? This morning we were expecting snow and 40 mph winds and the visual on the Weather Channel had the snow falling moving cartoon WITH the sound of the Howling wind. I thought That was just WILD, but cool. I loved it!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I don't get it. What's the big deal? Am I missing something? This idea seems as old as Fantasia.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I don't get it either - it's stereo - and it is nothing new. I am gonna go listen to some pink floyd Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 20:16, Marvello wrote:
I don't get it either - it's stereo - and it is nothing new. I am gonna go listen to some pink floyd Smile

Heh - every generation thinks that they invented two things - sex and music.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Cool!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo

Like I said, as old as Fantasia (Disney), the first movie in stereophonic sound
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well, all you guys are smarter than I, that's for sure. I wasn't aware that you could get that "behind you" sound by just using stereo. Peculiar.

Of course, I found the clip rather boring and fast forwarded through most of it, but that's another story. The basic idea I found intriguing.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
It is stereo, but very good stereo.

The recording method is different than just a microphone with 360 degree recording where the sound is dimensionally flat. Regular recording methods can do left and right speakers one at a time, both at the same time and a sweeping effect.

This is recorded using a bust of a human head with the microphones in the ears, two microphones. This way it picks up the sound the way human ears would.

The effect is a very clear, three dimensional piece of audio.
-Matt
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 20:16, Marvello wrote:

floyd was the first thing I thought of.
from wikipedia-:

The Final Cut was recorded using "Holophonics" - an audio processing technique used to enhance the aural three-dimensional 'feel' of the recording. Holophonics was used to make sound effects on the album appear more three-dimensional to the listener - sound effects, particularly when heard on headphones, appear to pass not just from left to right in the stereo spectrum but also from in front to behind of the listener and around them. Perhaps the most notable use of holophonics on the album is on the song 'Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert' - during the intro, an aeroplane is heard to fly swiftly overhead, passing from in front of the listener to behind them, before a huge explosion from the bomb it has dropped is heard surrounding the listener both in front and behind them and to either side of the stereo picture. The use of this technique was in keeping with Pink Floyd's long standing interest in using atmospheric sound effects combined with advances and innovations in audio technology to enhance the listener's experience of their music. It was also claimed that this process could not be duplicated if one made a copy of the recording i.e., copying from the vinyl record to tape cassette.[citation needed]

the final cut was one of there later albums, thought most of their work used this sound system. dark side fo the moon has a lot of weird stuff on it...
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 11:52, stoneunhinged wrote:
Well, all you guys are smarter than I, that's for sure. I wasn't aware that you could get that "behind you" sound by just using stereo. Peculiar.

Of course, I found the clip rather boring and fast forwarded through most of it, but that's another story. The basic idea I found intriguing.

I hear everytime I go to a movie theatre and that Dolby part comes up where the "ting" sound goes around the room.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
But Bill, isn't the DOLBY stuff done with several tracks? One in front, two to the side and two to the back?
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
Man,I wanted a free hair cut.It was pretty wild.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 15:17, stoneunhinged wrote:
But Bill, isn't the DOLBY stuff done with several tracks? One in front, two to the side and two to the back?

Honestly, I don't know. It could be quadrophonic sound. Quadrophonic sound has been used at certain raves for over a decade now. Richie Hawtin has been playing with it for a while.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow! Awesome! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL