The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Do all locking $1.35 have noticable movement? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
I have a locking $1.35 from Sasco. I can feel movement when finished. Is this normal? I hesitate to let people handle the coin because of this. I am considering going with a Tango or Johnson set, but don't know if they are any different.
Kelvin
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Movement is always a potential problem with this sort of gaffed coin, but less so with the better versions like Johnson. You might try putting a small square of masking tape on the inner side of the half to help fix this.

In any event, I think I'd still shy away from letting people handle the coin, for at least two reasons. First, it is not necessary to let people examine every prop you use, and if you let them examine some and not others, it only aggravates the problem. Second, if they either drop the coin from carelessness, or intentionally decide to "bounce" it, you are at worst risking damage to the coin or at best, probably tipping the gaff because of the unnatural sound the coin makes when touching a hard surface or another coin. Handing things out for examination also starts you down the road of "challenge" magic, where you are basically challenging the specs to figure out how you did something, as opposed to creating an air of mystery and amazement, which is where you ought to be going instead.

I have found the direct approach to this issue to be the best. When somebody asks if they can examine something, I just say "No, of course not, it's a magic trick!" But I say it in a nice way, with a big smile; problem solved.

But if you still feel that you must hand out the coin for examination, consider doing a simple Shuttle Pass to switch it for a real half dollar, then the specs can play with that to their heart's content! And DON'T say "Here, you can examine it." Just hand it out for someone to hold, for use in another magic trick. People may examine it, but maybe not; they will figure that if you gave it to them to hold, it must be real, otherwise, you wouldn't have done that, right?

Work smarter, not harder! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Thanks for the feedback. You are absolutely right. No need to hand out the half.
I've read that good advice in here for other gaffs. Even though many manufacturers like to advertise that everything can be examined, it isn't the ideal choice. Giving the spectator a good look at both sides of the coin while it is in my hands, without being obvious about it, should remove suspician from most people.
Kelvin
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Incidentally, while some of the Sasco stuff is pretty good, in my experience it is usually worth a few extra bucks to get the Johnson Products gaffs. They are very well made, are durable, and should last for a long time if carefully handled.

There are other more expensive custom-made gaffs by Todd Lassen and a few others, which are even more precise and/or have special features, but I think that for most amateurs and semi-pros, the Johnson stuff should more than fill the bill.

BTW, welcome to the Café', and enjoy your stay! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I have Johnson and have no talking coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Do all locking $1.35 have noticable movement? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL