The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » In Plain Sight (by Mick Ayres & Jim Callahan) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
One thing I really like about Mentalism is that routines can truly transcend the methods that are used to create the illusion. This fantastic routine by these two great minds, is one such example.

In Plain Sight is a fantastic version of Paul Curry's "Open Prediction". What I really like about this routine is that there is a really intriguing premise and presentation here. I don't want to give too much away, but it gives the audience a "peek behind the curtain", to learn a bit more about this interesting and sometimes crazy world we call "magic".

In a way, the premise is the presentation itself. It is truly a wonderful piece that I think is about as perfect a routine as one could ask. The methods are simple and direct, the effect is accomplished while in the participants hand, and the whole audience is involved. Wonderful!

You decide for yourselves...
http://www.mickayreswares.com./dramas__presentations

I gave him permission to use my (private) response to this routine because I really like it. Understand, you are not going to find new techniques or methods, but a wonderful answer to the "Open Prediction" plot.

Sean
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2819 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Curse you, Waters! I was trying to keep this a secret...Mick is crazy to put this up for sale! Cat's out the bag now!

Nathan
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
One of the BEST takes on the Open Prediction problem I have ever read.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Mick released this after all? I thought I convinced him to keep it to himself (and Jim, of course). Rats!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Looks good, Im in!
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Thank you for posting this information Sean~

Everything feels right about this effect and the two great minds behind it.

Openly

Scar
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can anyone advise about how long it takes to get the e-book? I know some are instant. I just want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Nevermind, I got it! I think this has some real potential!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3305 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Not being a card guy maybe I'm not the best to critique this. I have been around awhile though and am always looking for a card effect I think fits my personna. I bought this yesterday and knew the "work" needed to accomplish the effect. So it really is straight forward. But what a great script for a virtual impromptu effect, its obvious that professional minds got this together. Very, very entertaining, well worth the small investment for such clever thinking. I'm really happy with this purchase, enough so, I thought twice about saying anything to encourage others to buy it. Thanks guys, I certainly wouldn't mind if this one flew under the radar for most. A great piece
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Thank you all for the kind comments about 'In Plain Sight'!

I am truly happy that you guys are 'getting it' about the presentation being far more important than the method in this routine.

Honestly, I hope IPS serves you well. Thank you again!

With warm regards,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Wow I did not even know this was out!

I am glad as Mick said you guys are 'getting it' about the presentation being important. But I am biased I guess.

Y'all have a good Halloween.

Best Wishes,

Jim

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1240 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I just got this yesterday, and it is a wonderful, and DEEPLY simple approach to the effect. My hat's off to you guys, and I am looking forward to performing it--it appears that it will be a stunner! I love reading stuff put out by really smart workers. If you are interested in the Open Prediction premise, I highly recommend this offering.

Seth
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I think that some additional uses can be made with the second phase. Im experimenting using that in another effect I do. Works surprisingly well.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
I'm not trying to brag or anything here but I was lucky enough to be included in the test pool for this routine a few months ago on first inception and...

I really could never put a price tag on the mileage I have got out of it so far.

On one hand, I hate to see it being released but on the other hand I am vicariously enjoying the idea of fellow wizards getting the opportunity to add this to the arsenal.

Stay true to the script and enjoy your new reputation maker.

D
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Thank you all for the unexpected praise for 'In Plain Sight'. I am thrilled that this presentation for Curry's Open Prediction is finding a home with so many performers.

Warm regards,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
I just ordered and received In Plain Sight last night (talk about fast service). It's great. I can tell you that I have been in magic for over thirty years and there's only a handful of magicians out there, who, when they offer something to the magic community, a book, lecture, effect, I have no second thoughts about purchasing. Well, Mr. Ayers is now one of those magicians, ever since earlier this year after having purchased his phenomenal Act Series books.
Cliff Gregory Wollin
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2008-10-30 18:30, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Wow I did not even know this was out!

Let me know when the manuscript on my chair levitation is posted.
Just so I don't get a bunch of PM's here is the effect as posted on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ls2ZOMJrLU
(Mick will be writting it up for me at some time).

Best Wishes,

Jim

H.o.A-X

Darn, Let us know, cause this looks good also!

I just ordered In Plain Sight. Looking forward to reading it.

Best
ray
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Cliff...thank you for your faith and confidence in my work. I'm glad you enjoyed the Act-series. Compliments like yours are rare and highly valued. Thank you again!

Ray...I will be getting together with Jim once he starts wading in the waters of his International Seance Project (right now he is neck-deep in it). I hope you find IPS worthy. Thank you for your continued interest in my work, too!

Warm regards,
Mick Ayres
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
735 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
I bought this, examined it thoroughly, and have now began to routine the effect to suit my needs and ensure the work (which is so ludicrously minimal) is all done in the 'dark' spots of attention.

This one is a real worker, and if you memorize the 'rules' you can do this, as presented, IMPROMPTU! Which I think is the strongest way to perform this, explain and write them down as you go, set it up in an intimate climate and it FEELS real.

I performed it this way last night and it went down a STORM!

I will continue to perform this.

Thanks Mick and Jim.

Jon Hackett

P.S. a good tip with this is to believe it yourself, set it up so it will fail, as in tell everyone it wont work, believe that this is just a kinda, lets give it a go, and remember, the SPECTATOR performed the magic!
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I feel like I have to add my voice here....

My biases are that normally, I would not using playing cards in a show where I am in the role of Psychic Entertainer...UNLESSS.... Unless I felt the effect looked more like a psychic demonstration which HAPPENS to use cards and less like a magic trick.

In the past I have done my own version of the princess card trick, and what I suppose one might call an early crude version of the effect now marketed as Bang On- via a different method.

THIS is now the third card effect I would consider using. I also think it is unusual in that it is one of the VERY few real cross-over effects I have seen. A Magician could present this as a magician doing a "trick" and it would be equally well received as a Mentalist or Psychic Entertainer doing it as a serious demonstration.

A really nice piece of thinking!

Thank you both for sharing this... Now stop selling it immediately so we can all keep it to ourselves.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » In Plain Sight (by Mick Ayres & Jim Callahan) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL