The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » In Plain Sight (by Mick Ayres & Jim Callahan) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
You worry way, way too much! Go and chill and forget about this thread man
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Lem, whn I have performed it impromptu, I spent a little longer talking introducing Paul and generally having a fun relaxing convo with everyone, whilst doing that I wrote the page out on a piece of paper with a line at the bottom for the OP.

Then before actually starting the effect and using the presentation (although of coarse in reality, all the presentation building it up was the real effect) I leave a long pause. Allot of that nervous type staring around.

I to be honest have had stronger reactions from friends and family and such impromptu places than when performing it at gigs, (but I only performed it once at a gig, I have another version I use, and I'm trying to combine at the presentation at the moment.)

Jon Hackett

P.S david if it is worrying you don't buy the effect, nothing anyone can say here will change anything. At the end of the day, Paul was not a performer so much as a creator, so it may well be that method is more important.
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hello

'In Plain Sight' works but the search WILL go on to find a better way to make that face down card look more in keeping with what Curry wanted.

For me I feel ''The Fantasy Phone Experiment' is a much better effect that uses the ***** *****. Maybe with 'In Plain Sight' you just need a 'leap of faith'. LOL

best
ray
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2008-11-24 05:25, dafin77 wrote:
I have a worry about this effect that I don't think has been expressed. I wonder if people think it's a reasonable worry. If you first tell your audience that magicians have been trying to solve a problem posed by a well-known magician named Paul Curry many years ago, and then you perform something that isn't a solution, that wouldn't begin to satisfy Curry himself or the magicians you've just made reference to, as if it were a solution, then I worry that you are doing a kind of injustice to Paul Curry and other magicians who followed him."

I don't have this effect, so I may be mistaken about how the presentation goes. My worry is based on what I've read in this thread.

Well I worried about it after reading your post and got in touch with Paul and he was very impressed with it and found it to be very entertaining.

In fact he said he would be working it into to his extended set very soon.

He also let me in on some of his new work that is pretty clever.

Best Wishes,

J ack
\
H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
Jim,

You spoke to Paul Curry? I thought he had moved Out Of This World many years ago.

Oh. I forgot that you can speak to such folks. Your manuscript deals with him reverently and I'll bet that he is happy that he is still being talked about and still remembered by so many down here.

Ryan
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Jon,

Thanks for the post. November has been a terrible month for me, in terms of being clear in my posts but I am not surprised by your results at all (impromptu versus stage). For anybody who ALREADY HAS “In Plain Sight” here is my analysis/explanation of what I meant earlier (anybody who doesn’t have it should just skip this post since it won’t contain exposure and will be relatively useless for you).

Okay, with them gone, let’s get into the nitty gritty (just kidding!). But really, here are my thoughts on the effect:

1.) It is inherently stronger with a borrowed deck. While this is not necessary, methodologically speaking, it is a reality that tricks with their packs tend to have more impact.

2.) Tricks in which spectators must remember multiple things (multiple cards, multiple conditions, etc.) turn off many people. In this particular effect, if I list all the conditions that must be met, then go back to them, I don’t get the same kind of buy-in. For example, after I go through [page 3 of the manuscript] when I have it printed out, I get unanimous buy-in prior to continuing. If I do it by explaining the rules, the spectator’s (fairly I think) feel like I am manipulating something or I will tweak the rules or just… “something”. I believe, btw, that spectator’s have inherent distrust of what you say as a performer and you must take this into account, either through your effects, your patter, or the manner in which you approach a topic (e.g., allowing them to make up the rules but I go too far…).

3.) I feel that due to the fact that 1.) cannot always be followed, special attention must be given to 2.) above. With that in mind, I feel it is appropriate and helpful to have a print-out of the relevant page from the manuscript. Now, I have given thought to this based on something else I do “semi-impromptu”. So here is my model example and my approach to it that I am going to use for “In Plain Sight” moving forward.

EXAMPLE:
Sign Language by Doug Dyment

Modified basic premise: You determine somebody’s astrological sign letter by letter.

My problem: People don’t necessarily know how to spell their sign (story: one person swore that Sagittarius only had one “S” and one “T”).

My approach: Using a modified version of page 11 from Sign Language booklet, print list of signs and relevant dates onto back of some of my business cards.

Benefits: They can look while you diving their sign, you can give them the list (aka YOUR CARD) after the effect, your card has added significance, they can choose anybody’s birthday not just their own (in case they think you may have found it out somehow)

So, take my approach above and insert “page 3 from ‘In Plain Sight’ manuscript” instead of the Sign Language reference, and you will see how I intend to implement it to get what I think are the strongest reactions.

Hopefully that was both vague enough and specific enough to give some help on two wonderful effects. If it is not (talking to you, Mick), have them take this post down.
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 00:26, adamc wrote:
If you're looking for a good solution to the Open Prediction problem, you might want to check out BRRR! or 27 Below from Thomas Baxter's eBook, Not a Dianoetic Rage, both of which seem more fair than the first method used from In Plain Sight, which in my opinion is a little weak. Combining either of these methods with the presentation from In Plain Sight would be killer.

I'm quite intrested in Open Prediction.
What is BRRR?
Is it a effect or a book?
Where can I find it?
Thank you very much.

Eric
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
Brrrrr.... is an OP effect that follows all of Stewart James's legendary conditions.

It can be found in both of the following ebooks by Thomas Baxter:

http://www.imentalism.com/index.php/e-bo......tic-rage

http://www.imentalism.com/index.php/e-books/cards/topp

The effect is not 51 Faces North....it is a handling of the OP that is very good though.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » In Plain Sight (by Mick Ayres & Jim Callahan) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL