The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Who owns a "brick wall in a bag?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I am interested in buying one of these but wanted to hear if anyone has one. I found it from another post on backdrops. Hocus Pocus carries it. It must be a new item as I have never seen one.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I was considering it, but it didn't fit the look and feel of my show. The backdrop looks like it belongs more in a comedy club. Having said that, however, I am curious about the physical design of the stand itself. It looks strikingly similar to a spider.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Spider backdrops are what we magicians call them... Normal people call them trade show backdrop frames.

I like the look of it. A street light attached to the frame and sticking out over the "wall" would add a nice touch.

Lyndel
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Kline
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
156 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
It is the same as the unit that Tim Sonefelt carries at http://www.timsonefelt.com/cgi-bin/magic_store/cp-app.cgi, you can have it custom printed, as I did. More expensive that way than a spider back drop, which I also use. It goes up faster than a spider back drop. Not as large as a spider. I use Tim's setup for daycares and Birthday parties, occasionally there is not room enough, but 95% of the time I can use it.

The Spider I save for Stages and school assemblies.
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
The brick wall is considerably less money than Tim Sonefelt. I think the look of the brick wall is better than a mylar or black drop. Especially for a comedy magician. I like the street light idea. Maybe a neon sign that has the name of your show. I wonder if it is stable enough to hang a neon sign from?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Wow...that looks very cool!
I may have considered it if I didn't already have a Jeff Jones backdrop which is also a great product....and for me has a few advantages:

1.It can be shaped to different room configurations,such as corners etc.

2.It is about 1/3 the price.

3.It is IMO more aesthetically pleasing.

The Brick wall in a bag...I am sure will be an attractive choice for certain venues and certain performers.Folding it away ..itself looks magical.

Rich
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
156 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
Yes, the brick wall is cheaper than the Sonnefelt one, that is probally just due to different dealers, different profit margins, and volume discounts. Watching the video on the Hocus Pocus site, I am very comfortable in saying that the unit is the same, the only difference is the design on the backdrop.

My point was if you don't like the brick wall appearance, you can have a custom made one from Sonnefelt, or he offers a couple stock designs, very appropiate for magicians.

As far as hanging something from it, yes you can, but if it is too heavy or sticks out too far from the unit, you will need to hang a counter weight from the back side to balance it.

I have used mine in several hundred shows in the past 15 months and do love it, and would not hesitate in ordering another if I wanted to change the design that I have had custom printed on mine.
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Rich, I can't really say, as I haven't seen one in person, but I think the Jeff Jones backdrop doesn't look professional. Looks like something I could have made. The brickwall looks custom. I wonder what the deminsions are on the Brickwall? I bet you could have a custom curtain made to change out the brickwall if wanted?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 17:50, Rotten wrote:
Rich, I can't really say, as I haven't seen one in person, but I think the Jeff Jones backdrop doesn't look professional. Looks like something I could have made. The brickwall looks custom. I wonder what the deminsions are on the Brickwall? I bet you could have a custom curtain made to change out the brickwall if wanted?

You are correct.
The photo's do not do it[JJ backdrop]justice.They are super high quality.The curtain material does not wrinkle[at all],and looks absolutely professional.The stand is also heavy duty and the highest quality available.
The whole rig goes up in 30 seconds and draws gasps from from onlookers.

The only way you could make one yourself,is if you were a 'very' talented seamstress,and had a source for the exceptional fabric.

Being a full time professional performer,I would not settle for anything that didn't look professional.The JJ backdrop transforms nearly any space into a beautiful performance area.The wings of the stand can be adjusted to fit into corners or smaller spaces.
The JJ backdrop has already paid for itself....since I have actually booked gigs because of it[clients have requested it].Folks comment on how beautiful it is,and want to take photo's in front of it.I am now also using it for retail grand openings.
Without a doubt my greatest accessory purse ever.

That said:If I had a 'need' for the 'brick wall in a bag' I would probably purchase it.It also looks like a fine product.

Happy trails.
Rich
DewJoeJr
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of DewJoeJr
I bought one of these and I LOVE it. It fits the bill perfectly, compact, lightweight and high quality. It all depend on your act and what you are going for, but it is worth the investment. In fact, I am purchasing a second one in order to ship one ahead to the next gig while I am performing another the night before.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
If Gleason has one I know it must be quality. I'm ordering mine a.s.a.p. So much more interesting for the audience to look at than a black or mylar backdrop. And it just spells comedy. Thanks for the input gang.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I wish they could just sell the curtain design (brick wall) for those who already own a Spider. I have both the small and large versions.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Lou,

Contact them and ask.

http://www.impactpopupdisplays.com/index.html

I would bet they could sell you one. I just don't know how yours attaches.

Will
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
Quote:
On 2009-04-05 02:05, Rotten wrote:
Lou,

Contact them and ask.

http://www.impactpopupdisplays.com/index.html

I would bet they could sell you one. I just don't know how yours attaches.

Will

I have both a Brick Wall in a Bag and a Spiderflex and the attachments are very different. Not sure if you could measure your Spider curtain and just get the same size or? The curtain problem aside the real problem would be the attachment to the Spider frame and then there's the metal end pieces which give the wrap around.

Jeff
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
The wrap-around sides are good, I've seen other backdrops that don't have them and in my opinion they don't look as professional.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I have 4 brick walls in a bag.

Usually I only use 1, so easy to set up and strike. I do not have the brick wall background on them though, mine have a blue grid pattern. (Talk to Sean about different backgrounds...) If you had different backgrounds, I think they are very easily switched out to match the type of event you are at. I purchased 4 for a particular stage illusion, but now I use just one for almost every show I do... Standing infront of a backdrop in a banquet room is sooooo much better than standing infront of nothing. I think it adds a ton to the show! Is great for any show (banquets, schools, daycares, won't always (won't usually) work for home birthdays, but when you can set it up in a home... it makes the show look so good!)

I highly recommend them, and Sean and his wife were a pleasure to deal with.

Heres the link to his site http://www.magicmonkeybusiness.com/impac......llinabag

-scott
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1003 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Here are some nice looking backdrops, including a brick wall version. http://www.showbackdrops.com

John
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
The one in http://www.showbackdrops.com looks the same thing as the brick wall in a bag & it is even 3D & the price much lower....Thanks John for the link! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Who owns a "brick wall in a bag?" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL