The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tossed out deck - ever tried it? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Anyone? Ever given it a go, once you have a reasonable crowd? Seems to me it could work pretty well...

All comments, of course, welcome..

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
The tossed out deck is one of Gazzo's signature effects.

Jon Archer has a great version on his Educating Archer DVD that would work well in a busking environment.

Just don't think that getting 3 people to stand while everyone else is sitting is going to fly Smile

Maybe instead have the specs that catch the deck raise their hands or something.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I was thinking more along the lines of asking them to step up out the "crowd" and receive the applause... Each one getting more applause, as the effect builds.

Gazzo, heh? And I'm not too keen on his MO - but - he've very successful at what he does, and seems very happy with it, so - good luck to him, although I doubt he needs it..!

:)

DCB
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I did this effect over 400 times outdoors at a theme park in 1971. I was on a stage and it was my opener. I usually had at least 25 -30 people standing around at the time I began the routine. I simply asked the people to respond loudly with a "yes" or a "no" when I named the card.

So it went like this, "Sir, did I name your card?"

It was a killer.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Funny this topic should pop up, I am currently working on a presentation for this trick. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
While traverling in Canada some time back now I meat Gerard the Mentalist he had his own great version of the tossed out deck.
Mario
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The funny thing about this is that the old David Hoy Tossed Out Deck was much simpler than all of the other versions. Some of the new ideas appear to me to be trying to fix a problem that does not really exist.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Hoy was a genius.

His impromptu book test is still one of the best ever.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
From my own limited (<20 shows) experence busking - I think its a great opener - the reason being - (and I'm Sorry to say ) lay people HATE card tricks - (too begin with atleast-)
why? - because every 8 year old does card tricks and the plot is almost always the same. "you choose - I loose, I find - you snooze" . its very possible they have never seen a good magician before.

As derren brown puts in his book "you can tell jokes to friends - but only the most arrogant so and so would call himself a comedian - but any child with a Svengali deck can call himself a magician" - they associate cards with 3 mins of smileing along

T.O.D is so SO so different from the traditional plot and seems utterly impossible - so its great for those who don't like card tricks. .......gazzo's way of staggering the revelation is great -

I enjoyed "big AL catraz" doing this at the ED fringe this year and finally clicked how strong the effect is in big groups.I also saw a great video from matthew johnson who uses WMCA gags to give a comedy context.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Interesting. I watched Big AL Catraz on the street in Edinburgh - must have seen the same show as you. But I didn't see him do the TOD. Granted, I missed the start of his show...was he the one with the fish tank?

I see the David Hoy version is available as a downloadable PDF. Is it radically different from say, the Wayne Dobson version?

Regards,

DCB
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Yeah - he had the card in mouth meets Jaws gag.

I found it facinating to have the girls I was with re-create in their minds what the tossed out deck was - in recall - as is oft the case - they even forgot the deck was tossed out and thought it just a stunning piece of mind reading...... that's when I got faith in this trick. . . . . .before then I wasnt sure ,...its method just seemed to be obvious..... but lay people view magic so differently.

A
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Lay people do indeed view things MUCH more differently.

My woman is always banging on about me constantly doing sponge ball variations every time she sees me work. And CMH and Stargazer. And Holy Moley. But - these kill - not just lay people. I do, of course, have a wide selection of other effects, but these 3 I mentioned - I rarely leave them out - they may be old tricks to me, but to the speccies, who've never seen them before - they're amazing.

Someone on here mentioned Rich Marottas twist on the sponge bunnies - I checked it out, and bought a box of the little prophylactics today. So.. there's another ending to the sponge bunnies (for adults only).

It's a big mistake to do tricks for yourself, rather than your targetted audience.

You from Edinburgh?

Regards,

DCB
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I from oxfordshire - doing mba @ birmingham - so applying to busk there -

Ive done some busking in vancouver (un-licenced) - when I was working there last year. now doing some Bham clubs.

Re- TOD - Ive always suspected I could let someone see me spread a tossed out deck to them with out them noticing the same cards are repeated......people look to see if its the same throughout, then once they see its not - they then accept the premise.

CMH - ??
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Hi Guys,

I love the Tossed Out Deck and have used it for years with my YMCA presentation. I thought you might like to see the video aitchy was talking about so here is the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0GlJM0H380

Cheers,

MJ
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Tried it.
Love it.
Do it in my street shows and my platform shows!
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Matt, nice routine, the YMCA. Very good idea with the hats at the end. My compliments.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My gag version. No gaffed deck. Just a regular full deck with rubber bands... Toss out as per regular routine. Get back...

"I will name some cards, (now really fast start) Ace of Spades, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king... Ace of Hearts. two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king... Ace of Diamonds two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king... Ace of Clubs two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king..."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Pete,
I can see how that would be VERY funny at a magic convention, for magicians,...
!!

D:-)

DCB
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Matt,

I also really liked your presentation! Hilarious!
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Matt,
Great job on the YMCA effect.Have you tried it on the streets yet???

Also have you seen Wayne Dobson's Tossed out deck, super simplicity...

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tossed out deck - ever tried it? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL