The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Coin Magic and the bizarre (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

beverage
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of beverage
Are there many coin routines out there on the dark side.

This is what prompted the thought.............

I have a UK (stirling) "coin unique" which when used too casually in my current hemisphere raises suspicion as much as an extended thumb whilst palming i.e "Why can't you use New zealand currency??" Of course no one will ever make an NZ coin unique any more than a Fijian one - no commercial market!

So how do you hide modern, even foreign national currency in a bizzarist theme - and then not get called on it? (Assuming of course you're not simpy using legitamately old currency from your own country e.g silver dollars in the US of A in which case you don't have my problem)

Are there any g***ed ancient or plane odd (2nd Reich??????) coins that would fit the genre?
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I've switched in a genuine 1888 penny for an aged scotch n soda set; the justification is that could ol' red Jack actually have handled these coins.
I also have a suggestion for using a Chinese bit set with a JTR routine due to come out in Bruce's "Yours Truly..." book.
SO I guess what I'm saying is, try to hide the incongruities within the script, without appearing too contrived (although the latter is often my own biggest sin).
:)
STeve
[
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Even a modern coin can be stained, made to "weep blood", or transfigured with runes scratched into its surface. There is no need to use unfamiliar currency when a good story to explain a modern coin's odd appearance will also do.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
You can actually have gaphed coins made in any currency.
It will be a bit pricey but we all must suffer for our art it seems.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I, like Dr. Steve havw routines employing old Victorian era English Pennies,
in BRuce's upcoming JTR book. None of the coins I use are gaffed in any way. THEy are what they appear to be, old English coins. I also have a haunted key routine in the same tome. reat fun to have been allowed to contributee to.

Kotah
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Storyline, storyline, storyline. You can "inherit" a foreign coin from a distant relative for example.

I personally didn't like coin magic at the start as it appeared that all the ga***d coins were US and didn't seem to fit. Then I learned to fit them in through a storyline.

In prep. for Christmas and a routine to show my science colleagues at our Christmas meal, I recently purchased a 1793 Isaac Newton Conder Token (made in the UK) from of all places, Auz!!! Imagine what things that coin has been involved in / seen. BTW - Thanks to Christian Chelman for that routine in Hauntiques.

Speaking of Hauntiques, since reading that, I've gained an appreciation of coin magic which I never had before. Beforehand, it seemed to me a bunch of pretentious performers making coins appear out of nowhere for no real reason except to show off.

I like to use coins as props and inevitably collect them to add to a routine (eg 1912 pennies for White Star, 1880s / 1888 pennies for JTR routines etc). People like them as they relate back to a bygone era.

Could you not find similar sized old NZ coins? Do you definitely need a gimmick for the effect you're looking for or is there a sleight you could use instead?

Cheers,
Matt
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I have a piece using a 1942 Walking Liberty, 1942 being the year the greatest wizard of the 20th century was born, one Johnny Allen Hendrix. Use what you have, hunt out specific coins to fit a story, it's all good.
What would Wavy do?
beverage
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of beverage
Quote:
On 2008-10-31 16:32, BillyTheSquid wrote:
Storyline, storyline, storyline. You can "inherit" a foreign coin from a distant relative for example.

I personally didn't like coin magic at the start as it appeared that all the ga***d coins were US and didn't seem to fit. Then I learned to fit them in through a storyline.

In prep. for Christmas and a routine to show my science colleagues at our Christmas meal, I recently purchased a 1793 Isaac Newton Conder Token (made in the UK) from of all places, Auz!!! Imagine what things that coin has been involved in / seen. BTW - Thanks to Christian Chelman for that routine in Hauntiques.

Speaking of Hauntiques, since reading that, I've gained an appreciation of coin magic which I never had before. Beforehand, it seemed to me a bunch of pretentious performers making coins appear out of nowhere for no real reason except to show off.

I like to use coins as props and inevitably collect them to add to a routine (eg 1912 pennies for White Star, 1880s / 1888 pennies for JTR routines etc). People like them as they relate back to a bygone era.

Could you not find similar sized old NZ coins? Do you definitely need a gimmick for the effect you're looking for or is there a sleight you could use instead?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt no, gaffed coins are not a prequisite. Never thought of checking out old antipodean currency. Excellent idea, thanks.

What odd coins are out there? I know Outlaw make the "coin Relic"
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Quote:
On 2008-10-31 20:00, beverage wrote:
What odd coins are out there? I know Outlaw make the "coin Relic"

Relic is a really nice example of something that could have been recovered from a wreck dive and has interesting "properties" which make it the price it is (one of which I believe is that it's made of real silver!).

Odd coins - well, it depends upon the kind of story you're using / writing. Chinese coins have some nice holes in which allow you to do some certain "coin on string" type effects. There are lots of old Roman / celtic coins on the Bay.

How about a search on the Bay for NZ coins? or antique coins?

Lots of lovely stuff is always out there but you have to know roughly what story you want to work with first. Either that or if something really takes your fancy you could write a story around it.

Matt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Listen to Matt when he says, "Storyline, storyline, storyline."

Believe me, I know how difficult it can be to come up with a story to go with coin routines.

For older and foreign coins a fictional or exagerrated tale of murder, theft and mayhem, gypsy curses, why coins were placed on the eyes of the dead or graves.

Think! It will take time but worth the effort if that's what you want.

Good Luck,
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
This is not quite what you are asking, but I do a "matrix" routine with WWII medals and a story concerning them.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
beverage
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of beverage
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 00:20, Bill Ligon wrote:
This is not quite what you are asking, but I do a "matrix" routine with WWII medals and a story concerning them.

Bill

Hmmn Medals....nice!, WWII, Submarine service, drowned, trapped souls, resolution or entombment...... Is that sort of idea still too raw?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here are two routines by Café members that a story could be built around.

Nate Kranzo's "Stoned Purse".
Eric Jones' "Flash Coins Re-Lit".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I really like Christian Chelman's Jack the Ripper routine as a coin routine.
I believe it is in the Hauntiques book, and it was also in the Chelman issue of Magic a year or so ago.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Speaking of coin magic, I see that Dr. Sawa has resurfaced! L&L has released a massive set of new Coin effects by the legend and introduced by Max. His stuff is generally well routined and is just begging for a bizarre presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT2R-0sIS74&feature=related

Normally I'd be reaching for my knife to start gouging out my eyes, but this guy slays me.

Here is a great video of his fantastic sea shell routine (not on this new set - it is unpublished), very magical and pretty bizarre. Imagine what he could do without the language barrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdah5D8X-pM
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I seem to have suffered the mysterious vanishing post effect once again. The coins are very good, but the shell routine is absolutely poetic.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Coin Magic and the bizarre (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL