The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Joshua Jay's "Magic The Complete Course" (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Don't worry about a well-produced beginner's book being available to the public. The Mark Wilson Course, Now You See It Now You Don't, and the Amateur Magician's Handbook have been available for years and you wouldn't know it.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think it is too good for the general public if they are looking to just learn secrets. I think he did a good job specifying that magic takes work and buying a magic book just to learn secrets is disrespectful. I think this is a great source for beginners looking to really get into magic. I wish I had it when I started. I found a thing or two I had never seen before too, great book.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quit worrying about this book you guys!

Kids(and even adults) don't read anymore!

Internet exposure is a much BIGGER issue, not some book that they actually have to pay for or dare I say, READ! lol

If you want to hide something, hide it in a book Smile
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
True indeed Hart. Most will pass it right by and those that don't are probably
the ones willing to apply themselves and 'join' the club so-to-speak.
I think this book will enrich magic, not hurt it...
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
The vast majority of magical exposure is caused by bad magicians messing up performances. By bringing beginning magicians up to speed quicker than they would without it, I expect this book will actually reduce exposure, not increase it.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I've just finished skimming over the book and DVD - it is an EXCELLENT primer for kids and also contains wrinkles and tips applicable to magicians of all ages and experience levels. My favorite items are Trick Shot (a fabulous Jay Sankey version of the old Ashes on Palm trick) as well as Joshua Jay's versions of Linking Rings and Invisible Deck. There are also complete act suggestions, lots of magical history, practice and performance tips - as well as some of the most attractive female audience helpers on the DVD since the L&L ones with Janelle, Cassandra and others!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Link for the book and DVD at a whopping $11.97 on Amazon (with free shipping and no sales tax).

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Complete-Cou......2&sr=8-1

The description on Amazon says that about 1/3rd of the effects in the book are performed and explained on the DVD.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 12:17, tgold65 wrote:
Link for the book and DVD at a whopping $11.97 on Amazon (with free shipping and no sales tax).

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Complete-Cou......2&sr=8-1

The description on Amazon says that about 1/3rd of the effects in the book are performed and explained on the DVD.

This looks like a wonderful holiday gift at a great price for a youngster interested in magic. The CNN interview is quite engaging. Also see Fox 5's feature which included a nice shout out to Al Cohen whose magic shop was a wonderful place to visit and buy magic in D.C.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Insid......Id=5.2.1

Interestingly, Barnes & Noble's website depicts the book cover with a different photo of Joshua, different verbiage and an expanded title (Magic: The Complete Course in Becoming a Magician).
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Magic/J......61149873

The lower right corner of the B&N cover says "Watch Joshua Jay perform and explain 75 tricks" on the included DVD. By contrast, Amazon's cover photo says there are 32 tricks on the DVD. Probably the same book and DVD but it's a bit confusing.
Dave
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 16:45, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
I got a link to a video in my email today and thought you guys might like to see it, click here. I wonder how many of these are actually in the book?

I stand by my previous post above. ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for Joshua Jay)
All the sincere talk about the Masked Magician and exposure versus seeking out the information. My opinion, "Smoke and Mirrors". It's about money in his pocketbook especially in the way he is marketing his book. (CNN, book tours, Barnes and Noble, Costco, Sam's Club etc.) This is MY OPINION but I've lost respect for him. I will NOT be supporting his book or him.
He is trivializing what we do who perform regularly for paying gigs.
DP
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I don't understand all the grumbling. People act if this information is not already EASILY available. Personally I would rather have kids starting out with solid information from a book like this then hmm lets say ellusionist or the MANY sites that offer free secrets on a daily basis. My wife has a little cousin who is interested in magic. he was telling me how this site that some guy runs sends him about 10-20 trick explanations everyday via email. you can bet your rear-admiral that they are crappy, this is how its done and you can to kind of instruction that leads to the cheapening of magic as a form of entertainment, and art.

Joshua Jay's book is quite the opposite. the book starts off in a way to create respect. credits and mentions history through out, has fabulous presentations. and all the little things exposure sites leave out to beginners. I for one am glad he took the time to put together something fitting for people to learn and not start a new youtube channel of secrets
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 12:14, Nerdini wrote:
Josh even includes a routine for the invisible deck.

Can't believe Josh has written about this in a book for laymen!!!

It's a staple item for many workers and there's an unwritten rule that this shouldn't be exposed. Nice one Josh :-(
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
When this hits the uk I may pick a copy up
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
This is a great book, I wish I had a book like this when I was kid instead of the two crumby ones I remember so vividly. And that friggin' Marvin's magic set jeez.

If followed this would really create a good foundation in beginner of magic.
The sponge napkin routine is great! I understand that ashes on palm / ID seem to strong for a beginner magic book ... but they are simple and help to build confidence...plus THIS ISN'T FOR LAYMAN, ITS FOR BEGINNER MAGICIANS unlike a TV program which tips it to anyone who cares to listen or tune in for a second this is a book people go and buy so they can learn magic and perform magic.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 20:18, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I don't understand all the grumbling. People act if this information is not already EASILY available. Personally I would rather have kids starting out with solid information from a book like this then hmm lets say ellusionist or the MANY sites that offer free secrets on a daily basis. My wife has a little cousin who is interested in magic. he was telling me how this site that some guy runs sends him about 10-20 trick explanations everyday via email. you can bet your rear-admiral that they are crappy, this is how its done and you can to kind of instruction that leads to the cheapening of magic as a form of entertainment, and art.

Joshua Jay's book is quite the opposite. the book starts off in a way to create respect. credits and mentions history through out, has fabulous presentations. and all the little things exposure sites leave out to beginners. I for one am glad he took the time to put together something fitting for people to learn and not start a new youtube channel of secrets

I agree. And besides, if you want to hide secrets, put them in a book. Only the truly dedicated will take the time to both buy and look at the book's contents. All the merely curious and the lazy will continue to go to YouTube.

Additionally, conceptually, how is Jay's book any different from all the other general magic books out there at Barnes and Noble and other retail book stores--or available in many public libraries?

Finally, it is in the presentation that the true magic occurs. Case in point:

I session with a relative newbie magician most Friday afternoons. During one session, he showed me a simple self-working card trick. The next week, I performed Eugene Burger's "Fogel's Triple Prediction" (from Eugene's "Intimate Power" booklet) for him. (This was essentially the very same trick as the one he had shown me the week before.) The magician was blown away and begged me to tell him how the effect worked. I initially refused and I told him I that I didn't need to tell him soething that he already knew and that he had shown me the very same trick the week before. Well, he could not believe that and he strongly denied that that was the case. After about 40 minutes of Socratic hints on my part, I finally revealed the trick's secret and he sat there in stunned silence as he now realized that he had been fooled by something he already knew!! (This was the most valuable lesson he took away from that session.) He now realizes that HE is the magic and that it is his presentation that brings that magic alive and communicates it to the audinece.

So, I'm not too concerned wtih the Josh Jay book being released. IMHO, a magician worthy of his craft will take the Josh Jay "starting points" and craft each secret into a personalized work of art--and will, accordingly, fool the he** out of his audience members (including the YouTubers) when he performs such personalized pieces of magic.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
[quote]On 2008-11-16 11:34, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 16:45, Michael J. Douglas wrote:

...All the sincere talk about the Masked Magician and exposure versus seeking out the information. My opinion, "Smoke and Mirrors". It's about money in his pocketbook especially in the way he is marketing his book. (CNN, book tours, Barnes and Noble, Costco, Sam's Club etc.) This is MY OPINION but I've lost respect for him. I will NOT be supporting his book or him.
He is trivializing what we do who perform regularly for paying gigs.
DP

This always comes down to two camps: those who are OK with publishing magic for the general public, even applauding it, and those against. I am in the "against" camp and agree with the above position. In fact, I can't even see the other point of view.

Magic is about mystery. It is ineffective without it. The more the public is fed information about magic, the worse magic is affected. The Masked Magician, etc. all remove mystery from magic.

Furthermore, with the complete ease of access to magic through the Internet, why push it out further with books to the general public, ads on TV, etc.? Isn't magic under siege as it is? The more the public can easily see how magic is done, the more difficult it is to interest them in seeing magic performed. I think you're whistling past the graveyard if you don't see it this way.

Here's a simple test: if you could snap your fingers and make the Masked Magician, internet magic exposure, etc. go away, would you? That's the real test. Otherwise, many who say they are unfazed by all the magic available to the public are simply realizing that nothing can be done about it and have decided to put on a brave face.

Gianni
JohnPizzi
View Profile
New user
NJ
81 Posts

Profile of JohnPizzi
Bravo.. Gianni
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
This book is not for the "general public". Its for beginning magicians, and I doubt that many who do not have a sincere interest in magic will bother with it. There are actually many fewer standard effects revealed in this book than there are in say Mark Wilson's course (which sits next to it on the shelf of most bookstores). In fact my only complaint about the book is the choice of the title, which will cause confusion with Wilson's book, and is also not really true. This book is mostly close-up, with a few effects that are appropriate for parlour and kids shows thrown in-and most of these could also be used close-up as well.

-Rob
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Look I'm against exposure as much as anyone, but the logic that its a "general public" book cracks me up. every book in print, every prop, is "general public". I know I never had to take a test.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Joshua Jay's "Magic The Complete Course" (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL