The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Aces In Their Faces by Bob Kohler (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Aces In Their Faces was first released around 1997. It was touted as "the Best Ace Assembly Ever Created". I think anyone that knew McDonald's Aces and was fooled by Aces In Their Faces most likely would agree.

It not only fooled Magicians, but slayed lay people. The gaffs allowed for such fair ( clean )vanishes that it looked like real magic.

The routine that was in the booklet was only part of a larger routine. Bob had allot more work on the trick that wasn't included in the original booklet. That's been taken care because Aces In Their Faces has been re-released and now includes a full length comprehensive instructional DVD.

You get 4 different versions of the effect. From a no sleight version ( and still it looks like a miracle ) to versions for workers. I personally don't feel there is anything that is beyond the capabilities of most magicians. With some practice, the more advanced versions are within the reach of most.

I was a big fan of Aces In Their Faces when ti was first released. The Updated version with what I think is a monster of a DVD as far as information and detailed teaching, is better than ever and should be gotten by anyone that is a fan of ace assemblies.

When you spread the deck face down the second time and the 4 aces appear face up, that's a gasp getter. Laying down the indifferent cards onto each ace couldn't be easier. The vanishes are as simple ( but look magical ) or as detailed as you'd like or are capable of doing.

You can also mix and match vanishes, different parts of routines, use your own routine, etc. It's very flexible and lends itself to your own personality.

The gaffs are prefect and Bob sneakily has them made so you always know which way the gaff should be pointed and for quick reset.

We went to a few homes of friends and family on Halloween and I performed this each time. I opted for performing Aces In Their Eyes. It's the closest to McDonald's Aces ( which I love ) but has so much more going for it. I got huge reactions and most these people already have seen me perform.

I think if it was a formal show, Aces in Their Souls would be the way to go as it's really two routines, the latter canceling out anything that they thought was going going on.

I had the original Aces In Their Faces and this re-released version with all the extras and improvements is over the top fantastic. All the shops have this and it's only about $25. That's hard to believe for what you receive.

If you do/know McDonald's Aces, you'll want this as it is a giant improvement over that ( he displays, because of the special gaffs, are better than McDonald's Aces ). If you've always want to do McDonald's Aces, but felt apprehensive about using the gaffs, Aces In Their Faces is for you because you can, immediately, do a shocking, no sleight of hand version. From their you can, if you wish, build on it.

GET THIS! From experience, I can tell you that you will get gasps with the appearances, vanishes and re-appearances of the aces.

Murphy's Magic demo clip:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Aces-In-Thei......ards-DVD
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
I'm excited about this DVD. Back when I was working in the magic shop, this was one of my favorite things to do. And so much fun to practice, play, and create with, that I ended up getting in trouble a few times for zoning out, LOL. Seriously though, this is an absolute killer (even the self-working methods). In short, I'm getting this ASAP!!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The basic, no sleight version can be done by anyone and looks like real magic.

I think Aces In Their Faces is the perfect trick for someone that isn't an experienced card magician, but is looking to develop some skills. Right off the bat they can perform a miracle. They then can learn some more advanced techniques if they wanted to build upon the basic routine.

If someone was strictly a coin man, but wanted to have just one card effect that was a miracle and looked as good as their advanced coin work ( but didn't require the practice to get there ) this would be perfect.

And for card nuts and assembly fans, this is the Holy Grail of assemblies.

I watched the DVD again and you can see it was a real labor of love for Bob to put this out.

tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of tdowell
This is one of my favorite effects to perform.
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
315 Posts

Profile of A.J.
This is an absolute killer routine!! The work and the thinking and the visuals that make up this Ace routine are nothing short of astonishing. On my top ten list of card effects to perform.

Highest recommendation.

A.J.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The link doesn't work....
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
noimdaman
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of noimdaman
You check out the video at:

http://www.magicproshop.com/advanced_sea......odiT3N2Q

I was just found it. It looks very good.

JJ
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 13:52, Pete Biro wrote:
The link doesn't work....

Murphy's upgraded their site:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=43995

in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Thanks for the links and info Christopher!
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Joemv
Received my DVD last week, super teaching to a fantasic magical journey. Take your time and learn all the different verisons and you will have "magic" in you presentation to this magical effect. Thank you Mr. Kohler.

Joe
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Yep, Mr. Kohler's magic is quite magnificent!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Glad everyone like AITF. It's been a great working trick for me for many years. We sold out at my lectures at the IBM International Convention in England and also at Dominique Duvivier's Double Fond nightclub in Paris.
If you're ever in Paris stop in to see Dominique's show, it's great!

Two more gems will be released from Bob Kohler Magic within the next two weeks. Both are from Steve Spill.
First is his legendary Mindreading Goose, next is Confessions Of A Neddle Swallower. Totally pro routines proven by over 25 years of professional use. If you're interested send me a PM or an email at bobkohler@cox.net.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7396 Posts

Profile of pegasus
After I viewed the demo of the spec handling the cards I had to order this.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside!
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8423 Posts

Profile of Mb217
The first one was gold, this one sounds like platinum. Smile

I remember buying this from Tannens in NYC years ago and on the say-so now of my good friend here, Chris and the always expert magic of Bob Kohler, I look forward to it without the "sleightest" reservation. Smile

Thanks Bob for all the good magic and then always making good things better. Smile And thanks to you too Chris, for always telling us here where the good-better-best magic can be found and who's doing it. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 01:37, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
The basic, no sleight version can be done by anyone and looks like real magic.

I think Aces In Their Faces is the perfect trick for someone that isn't an experienced card magician, but is looking to develop some skills. Right off the bat they can perform a miracle. They then can learn some more advanced techniques if they wanted to build upon the basic routine.

If someone was strictly a coin man, but wanted to have just one card effect that was a miracle and looked as good as their advanced coin work ( but didn't require the practice to get there ) this would be perfect.

And for card nuts and assembly fans, this is the Holy Grail of assemblies.

I watched the DVD again and you can see it was a real labor of love for Bob to put this out.

Christopher,

Thank you in so many ways for making this suggestion/endorsement and also thanks for those of you that have responded. I will send for "Aces in their Faces" immediately.

After many years of dabbling (time restraints, being a teacher keeps you very - very busy), I'm starting to get serious about my love of magic. This is why I come to the Magic Café. The advice is simply wonderful, most always. This effect looks like a dream. I can learn and progress with it and apply what I've learned elsewhere. That makes it a bargain.

My only caveat is that I'm not particularly happy yet to buy effects with DVDs as the sole form of training. I'm old-school and I like printed matter for that. It also mostly lasts forever if well treated, in printed form. DVDs are very nice and extremely helpful, but seem so temporary. I have books and booklets on magic over 100 years old. I'm still buying them. Most of them are from the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's. Will DVDs make it that long? Can your grand kid's grand kids inherit them and glean the magic inside? I long for the return of the little printed booklets in magic, for instruction and training in modern and new effects. I miss them badly. I'm sorry I missed this effect when it did come with a booklet, but I'm sure having even more content in the DVD will work. Maybe buyer printable .pdf files could be a compromise, as an adjunct to the DVD?

Now if you can just suggest a coin effect.... (I've been thinking about buying J. Kennedy's Supercoin), I would appreciate it and see to getting it. I want to get beyond capped tube tricks and little brass boxes. "Aces in their Faces" and a good coin effect should keep me busy learning all Winter long.

Thanks again,

dsalley13
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Some industry facts...
DVD's are expected to last for at least 25 years. I too was brought up on book and still love them but today as always the costs of a DVD are less than even a small 16 page booklet such as the original AITF booklet. If I had put information that's on the one and and thirty five minute AITF DVD it would have been way too expensive.

Also FyI I originally made up much of the material that's finally on the DVD. I gave the proof copies to Lennart Green and Alan Ackerman. They both told me they simply couldn't learn the vanish sequences from the pictures. The video solves this completely....
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Bob,

One of the magic dealers I just found has the older version with the booklet. I'll buy that and the DVD version too. I like having more than one set of gaffed cards for an effect. This will work out fine.

I'm sure I will love your DVD and learn greatly from it. I just prefer books to keep and eventually pass on. I understand about a DVD being a possibly better teacher. I guess I'm slow in accepting the change in presentation media. Thank you for the great trick. I know I will enjoy it.

I tried to go to your website and deal directly, but it doesn't seem to work right now. If your site will be back up soon, I will wait and buy direct. Instead I researched what is listed of your items at the "When You Wish" store. You have some marvelous effects. I'd like to learn them all!

dsalley13
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7396 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 12:05, A.J. wrote:
This is an absolute killer routine!! The work and the thinking and the visuals that make up this Ace routine are nothing short of astonishing. On my top ten list of card effects to perform.

Highest recommendation.

A.J.

I will second this quote from AJ. I love the history behind this effect as explained by Bob during the credits, on the DVD. This is in the top 3 of my best purchases yet, considering I am in triple figures. Thanks to Christopher too.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1075 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I've got one of the original booklets from years ago, but I picked this up at the local magic shop as well because it's always nice to see the effect performed; especially when the creator is the one performing the routine.

This is my favorite ace assembly trick to do.

MJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Aces In Their Faces by Bob Kohler (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL