The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Aces In Their Faces by Bob Kohler (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Qoute:
"Do you need a table to perform this trick or is it something that can be done in the hands walkabout style?"

jugglestruck,
This effect is made to be performed on a table (mat or tablecloth, preferably.)
As a matter of fact, all of BK's performance's for his spectator's are done at a table using a mat...
(it's been a while since I've seen the DVD....so someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Smile
Hope this helps!

Best of everything,
JRRocha
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7396 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2008-11-27 10:34, Blondin wrote:
Bob explains on the DVD that AITF is only available in red bicycles because of the difficulty matching the variable blues produced by USPCC. However my AITF set is a darker red than any of the many red bicycle decks I possess and, strangely, they appear to be getting darker! The difference when the deck is spread is obvious to me but would probably not be noticed by a lay audience. It will obviously become a problem in time if indeed the cards are darkening with age. Anyone else noticed this?

He also explains to use a brand new red deck with the gaffs and they will all blend together over time. I still use the same deck and there are no differences at all.
WesRay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of WesRay
I've owned the original Aces in their Faces for a while and am wondering if the new "improved" gaffs affect the original handling or if they are meant more for the additional routines in the new DVD.

I generally only perform the standard original routine so I would really only be interested in upgrading to the new gaffs and DVD if they somehow improve the original routine. Though, from what I'm reading, some of the new stuff might be good too. Any further thoughts on the new vs the old gaffs?
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
The demo looks soooooo good. When he flicked the card onto the table, I pretty much jumped out of my chair.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
One word...FANTASTIC. Started performing the self working version after the first time I watched the dvd. Definitely in the top five things I've purchased this year in magic.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7396 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You obviously purchase a lot of magic fxdude.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
There are some memorization invovled in performing the effects in AITF DVD. It's well worth it though..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
666 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Aces in their faces is one of my Fave aces trick....
it's iteresting.....
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 18:12, pegasus wrote:
You obviously purchase a lot of magic fxdude.

haha, yes I do
hdragonetta
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hdragonetta
The new DVD has increased handlings from the original video. Takes the trick to another level and it was already very good.
lyoma
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lyoma
I have the original version, VHS instruction Video and the recent DVD of Aces in their faces. I like it very much, and find particularly excellent the instruction on magician's choice. However, I am not sure that this solution for four ace assembly is better than McDonald Aces. For LAYMEN, the backs of all cards are clearly "shown" in both of these solutions. I personally prefer McDonald's because the aces in the 4 packets are shown more clearly, and the turnover phenomenon is parasitic in Aces in their faces. I use the switch method for 3 reguar aces by gaffed of Jonny Thompson (Commercial magic). Other versions like those by Oz Pealman or Guy Hollingworth show the backs of all cards simultaneously, thanks to different solutions. Although showing really all the backs is an improvement for MAGICIANS who already know McDonald’s aces, it is not necessary for LAYMEN. It is also true of Knaves gone wild by Solomon.
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
I too love this effect! I bough a set quite a while back. Due to an unfortunate "I left my card wallet in my pants pocket" mishap, my original gaffs went through the wash and, um, sort of died. Smile

My very first foray into card splitting was to make a replacement set. They don't look nearly as good as the originals, but they serve me well anyway.

Sean
Wonder
View Profile
New user
North Wales, United Kingdom.
47 Posts

Profile of Wonder
I own the original booklet Aces In Their Faces & its a wonderful effect, the new DVD sounds great with the newer versions Aces In Their Eye's etc. Iam going to pick this up myself thanks B.K for your excellent effects.
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
389 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
After reading all through this thread I have to order AITF... NOW!!
Regards,
Silverthorne
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
I received the DVD yesterday, and I am really very happy with the various explanations. This is really a fantastic and very strong card routine.
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Lyoma, although I've "AITF" since years, I agree with you absolutely. Unless I want to perform for magicians (to fool them with a "new" method") many methods for same themes are simply waste. Our audience doesn't know methods or our method or this method... Therefore again my highest recommendation: Darwin Ortiz' "Designing Miracles". Everyone should read it at least twice. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
This is one of the best purchases I have made. The effect is well taught and a joy to perform.
Northern California
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, But I just got AITF a few days ago and I've been playing around with it. My question is, Would I be totally off base if I wanted to add some sleights to this and change it up to fit my style and what I like?

I get that in this trick is that it seems that you don't seem to really do "anything" to make the magic happen, But still... There are a few things I've added and I changed the setup a little to suit me and I like it even more. Don't get me wrong, I love the way that Bob put it together. But my way it seems more like my own style and what I like to see.

Great effect BTW!!

And I'd also like to ask, Has anyone had any trouble with the color of the gimmicks matching a deck? The red back on my gimmicks seems really dark. I can spot them instantly as I spread through the deck. I've tried a few decks but the gimmicks seem way darker than any of them.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 22:10, Voldemort wrote:
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, But I just got AITF a few days ago and I've been playing around with it. My question is, Would I be totally off base if I wanted to add some sleights to this and change it up to fit my style and what I like?

I get that in this trick is that it seems that you don't seem to really do "anything" to make the magic happen, But still... There are a few things I've added and I changed the setup a little to suit me and I like it even more. Don't get me wrong, I love the way that Bob put it together. But my way it seems more like my own style and what I like to see.

Great effect BTW!!

And I'd also like to ask, Has anyone had any trouble with the color of the gimmicks matching a deck? The red back on my gimmicks seems really dark. I can spot them instantly as I spread through the deck. I've tried a few decks but the gimmicks seem way darker than any of them.

Hi Voldemort,

Personally, if you are adding sleights and you feel you have enhanced the effect, and more importantly, your AUDIENCES love it, them there is no harm at all since you are not selling your method. I would think you would have to get Bob Kohler's permission if you would sell it obviously.

Anyhow, I used to do the effect, and, while I like it, I "rediscovered" Frank Garcia's method of doing MacDonald's Aces - the forerunner to Bob Kohler's effect, and I do that now, or, I will do Simon Aronson's very strong, no gaffs Queenspell, which has it roots in Collins Aces. Perhaps Etienne could shed some light on the common genesis of the plots, i.e., was Collins Aces the forerunner, was MacDonald's first, or was this something from Hofzinser that has evolved?

When I did perform Aces in Their Faces, I didn't have problems with back color not matching, but, this was circa 2001 and USPCC actually still had quality control Smile All of THAT being said, AITF IS a great effect. I switched back to MacDonald's out of practicality and it garners reactions for ME at least just as strong as Mr. Kohler's excellent approach.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Folks, at Lybrary.com, there is a huge write up on a process to make virtually ANY gaff you can imagine. The process looks GREAT. PM Chris Wasshuber for more information.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Hi Vlad,

Thanks for the reply!

No, Not to try and sell it or anything like that. That didn't even cross my mind to tell you the truth. I just came up with a variation that suits ME better using a few simple sleights.

It does however occur to me that one of the things that makes AITF so great is that the cards are really not touched during the routine. I think that that is a strength, But I also love doing the routine a little more visually. In the end, I suppose the only thing that I can really do is try out both methods a few times and see which works best for the audience.

I do make my own gaffs and I have for a while now. Making up a few of these to match will not be a huge deal. I did want to know if anyone else had the same problem though, To see if I may have gotten some from a bad batch. I have not graduated to the system put forward by Lybrary yet. Although I do love the sound of the whole thing and what can be done. But to start a good system you would need quite a bit of money (For a good printer if nothing else). I will take that step eventually though as I LOVE to make gaffs.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Aces In Their Faces by Bob Kohler (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL