The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Israeli Law and a challange (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wildthought
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of wildthought
I live in Israel these days and I think Israel is the only country in the world that Hypnosis is not allowed for entertainment purposes. So there are no Stage hypnosis shows whats so ever (But guided imagery is allowed btw) and you are not even allowed (by law) to hypnotize your friends for fun. They believe here that hypnosis is very dangerous and therefor is only allowed by trained medical doctors, and again: not for entertainment.
Do you have any ideas how to override that stupid low? can I do hypnosis shows without using hypnosis trance? Can I give it a different name and change the process so I won't be accused with doing hypnosis and still get people to act crazy on stage? again, guided imagery, meditation methods and the like are permited (and how much are those different from hypnosis???).
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
You may be aware that here in the UK hypsosis shows are difficult to get a license for and insurance can be quite expensive. AND many theatres simply don't want to put those kind of shows on anymore.
Some other guys will step in here and keep me right, but I believe that IF you call your show (here in the UK) a 'Fake Hypnosis Show' then you do NOT need any form of license. So.... whilst you claim it's NOT hypnosis you just carry on with exactly what you would normally do. Could this happen in Israel?
Hope this helps,

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Why don't you call it a Mentalism Magic Show?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
It's not about the name of the show. It's about being sued for using hypnosis.
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
Wildthought, best just let it go,
no point in getting in any trouble for the sake of a laugh when there is many other things you can do.
If you share an interest then do it privately.
or leave the country....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
For non-hypnosis, hypnosis show, have you looked at Kreskin?
He has an ideal solution to this issue.
wildthought
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of wildthought
I've seen many of kreskin's performances and his solution is quiet good. basicly he claims (and proves) that he doesn't need any hypnosis shticks, no process and no trance, he just relies on his name and tells his spectatores to go to sleep and they obey. my question is: if you just tell a person to fall a sleep (more like a jedi voice suggestion...), and then you play hypnosis games with him, is this hypnosis by definition? is this acting? and maybe it's jedi voice? how can someone proves differently?
paullong
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of paullong
Martin Taylor in the UK has been practising hypnotism without hypnosis for years. I believe he presents waking hypnosis only and never induces a trance, but gets amazing results. I also think that his show is delivered as education and not entertainment.

http://www.hypnotism.co.uk/
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm hoping to see Paul's show very soon. I'm quite excited about it.

bobser
paullong
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of paullong
Hi bobser,

Do you mean Martin's? I'm not doing any shows. I saw Martin's about 7/8 years ago and it was great fun.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Sorry Paul. Yes of course, Martin's. He very kindly offered me to come along as his guest some time ago.
hypn
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of hypn
You might want to make contact with Martin St James a famous Australian hypnotist - google his name or shane St James (his son). Martin kept on doing shows in Australia while it was banned and successfully challenged the law. He is a very nice guy and I am sure he would help.

Keep in mind that in order to challenge the law even by performing fake hypnosis, you will get arrested and charged and it would be during your defense that you would be able to prove why you feel you have the right to perform.

Also have a look at the maximum penalty's for breaking the law. If it means you face a fine, it is worth challenging and creating some media hype to help you, if a jail term is prescribed as minimum, I would be careful.
Andre The Hilarious Hypnotist
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
You guys are very helpful. Thanks.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Or why not do pre-show on 4 or 5 people and then invite them up on stage before claiming you are about to do some very early stuff from The Talmud that not a lot of people know about? Wow, this idea is so good that reading it back I've decided to use it myself!
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Call It the self-hypnosis show. How can one be sued if they doing it themselves... Just a thought.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 12:14, nimrod wrote:
It's not about the name of the show. It's about being sued for using hypnosis.

Although what you're saying is spot-on nimrod, what you call the show might well determine whether you get sued or not. So, points deducted from you today, now go outside and wait in the car.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I'm using hypnosis like effects without hypnotizing in Israel. And I was sued once and they dropped it. It's not easy at all in Israel. I'm doing it in every show and yet I'm risking myself in each and every show. I'll probably win in court but no one wants to get to court. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing a "self hypnosis" show in Israel. My friend Tzahi White got sued for just saying "you are hypnotized" while doing a chair suspension!!!
andyboyhypnotist
View Profile
New user
Arbroath, Scotland
28 Posts

Profile of andyboyhypnotist
Wildthought,
I don't think I would do it.
Hypnosis is incredible but is it worth all the trouble?
It's their loss, not yours.
All the best,
Andy
hypn
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of hypn
Anybody ever figure out why the ban ever came into place ? If I am correct Uri Geller was also taken to court in Israel for claiming his talents are genuine ?
Andre The Hilarious Hypnotist
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Would it be interesting that the line btw using Hypnotism as an entertainment of therapy purpose is hard to define. If you claim that you use such power to entertain, how to they prove you to be illegal?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Israeli Law and a challange (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL