The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Pseudo Pickpocket...anyone have this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattm
View Profile
New user
North West, England
46 Posts

Profile of mattm
The subject of this DVD caught my eye the other day (saw it here http://www.workers-corner.co.uk/?p=52)...I was wondering if anyone here has it and, if so, whether they could kindly share their thoughts on it. I am particularly interested to know if this would be a wise investment for people, like me, with no prior knowledge of pickpockeing-related methods. Also interested to know whether there is any other material on this specific topic worth knowing about.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Hi Matthew, if you sre interested in learning how to pick pockets, this is not for you. What this is is a commercial plot how to get a signed card or you contact details into a spectators wallet.

Plus loads of other stuff!!

If you want to learn real pick pocket methods, look up Mark Raffles material.

Chris
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I bought this dvd.
As the title say, it's pseudo pickpocket " in clear there are not pickpocket technique anymore.
It's classic technique but you use as support the spectator's wallet.
sandwich, transpo, etc...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Now I'm curious.

How does one get those items in the wallet then?

Its not asking the spectator to bring out the wallet and loading a sandwich inside openly and having the selected card appearing between those two cards inside their wallet. (Though that isn't a terrible idea)
mattm
View Profile
New user
North West, England
46 Posts

Profile of mattm
Thanks for all your replies.

What intrigued me about this particular DVD is the topic - getting a signed, spectator's card in their wallet - as I have been recently brainstorming some "outside the box" methods along these lines.

The concept has tremendous potential to create a stunning piece of magic. What I was unsure about, as James has just said, is whether the DVD is looking at using the spectator's wallet out in the open, 'on the table' as it were to frame effects around or, as I had been brainstorming, methods for actually loading a card or cards on their person.

Kind regards,

Matthew
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
No pickpocketing is used. As a couple people have said. The wallet therefore must be in the open.

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
This uses methods that we all know, the framing of the effect is very nice and there are lots of different takes on the plot, including a nice variation by Gary Jones where the aces are placed inside a wallet and a selection in the spectators hand and they change place (spectator now has the aces).

But as I said before, there are no actual pick pocket techniques taught on here.

Hope that helps.

Chris
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Wow all this positive feedback I went ahead and bought the dvd and gimmick on penguin before knowing all of this and now that I do I cant wait to start using it thanks for solidifying my purchase guys!
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Pseudo Pockpocket
Medium: DVD
Arena: Card magic
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Pseudo Pickpocket is by Christopher Congreave and Gary Jones presenting various transpo effects using cards. The main routine, Pseudo Pickpocket, is basically a card is selected and signed. Two other cards are placed in the spectators wallet then the cards change places, the signed one is in the wallet and the other two in the hand of the performer with the idea being you have switched the cards in a demonstration of how pick pockets work. There are a number of other routines on the DVD using the general theme of cards changing places. The routines are pretty good, nothing really earth shattering, but nice solid routines that the average card magician would enjoy performing. My favorite was the wallet transpo by Gary Jones. The only thing about the routines that might cause some people a problem is that palming is needed at times and I know many have confidence issues when it comes to palming, Christopher gives solid advice here, he says just to do it, I agree.

I do think that you’ll likely take some of the effects taught and work them to fit your performing style. My big problem with the routines was that I’ve found people, the spectator, often doesn’t want you to touch his wallet. While the routine might work for strolling or table work when you ask the spectator for his wallet his first thought is ‘this guy is trying to get some money from me’ and I don’t think people want strangers touching their wallets period. I don’t like anyone touching my wallet and I don’t want to mess with any ones wallet. What if they claim money is missing? Not a good thing. There is a version taught that preceded the creation of Pseudo Pickpocket where the card box is used, I think this is a better routine because of the privacy issue involving the wallet. Simply put you don’t need to do the routines with a wallet so these are still worth looking at.

The quality of the DVD isn’t bad. The camera work is, for the most part, pretty good. The only problem there is at times the camera operator is a bit jumpy and seems to be trying to figure out the best angle and distance to shoot from. The sound isn’t bad but for some reason when seated they seem to have switched from two mikes to one so when the people are talking one is loud and clear and the other, while you can hear them, is not at the same sound level at all. The biggest problem though is the background music, typical bad magic video music by the way, was too loud and at times was intrusive. As a whole the production is better than a lot of DVDs that come out, it could have been better but still isn’t bad at all.

If you want some good card magic that isn’t difficult to do but still require some work then Pseudo Pickpocket is worth considering.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi MagicSanta,

First things first, thank you for taking the time out to do the review, much appreciated.

I understand your concerns about the spectator not wanting to take out their wallet/purse, and the bit about, if they think they have some money missing they will almost surely blame the magician. This is always the case with this type of routine, this is also the same with any routine of this nature when a magician borrows say a ring, or steals a watch. This is an excellent point and this should be seriously considered before launching into this type of effect or purchasing our DVD.

I'm personally a 'ballsy' type performer and take some serious chances (and have come unstuck a few times Smile), so for me this type of effect comes naturally. I included the card box version for the performer who would rather not take chances (the majority).

At corporate events I always ask for business cards, it's when they have their wallet/purse out when I often go into this type of effect.

As for the sound quality, we were informed by the film crew that the sound was fine, we had one lapel mic and one boom mic, I requested two lapel mics but the sound team said they were not needed, but as you and others have so rightly pointed out, they were wrong. We no longer use that company!!

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to review our DVD and for the honest and constructive points made.

Kind regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
A full review of Pseudo Pickpocket can be found in this section under the title, Workers Corner 3 DVD set by Chris Congreave and Gary Jones.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
PS They're not actually a 3 DVD set, they were just released at the same time and can be purchased individually.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is good working card magic and you can do the wallet, the box, work from a pocket, have the cards put under a saucer, all kinds of fun stuff.

There are two types of magic released, the first type is the 'hey that looked cool on the trailer when the girl screamed' material that never gets performed and there is the 'nice looking trick on that demo' that is material people will perform. Pseudo Pickpocket, in one version or another, is something people will perform for others.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Below is the full review Gary Williams put on the Café under the Worker's Corner 3 DVD set..............

PSEUDO PICKPOCKET

This is excellent and I will definitely be using this concept/method. This is because I perform the signed card to wallet effect, and the ideas and possibilities that this opens up, are limited only to the magician's imagination. There really is loads of stuff in here, but no practise sessions. No fillers. Just non-stop performance of magic, with full-on continuous discussions.

CC Pickpocket: This is impromptu magic at it's best. This is a strong effect. Nice and clean. Nice and smooth. This will fit nicely into any one's act, and if you are a stroller this will have much appeal to you. In here are some gems of advice, regarding corporate magic and the business side of magic, although all three d.v.d.'s represent exactly that. Performing in the real world, for real people, full time.

GJ Signed Card To Box: This is a nice, smooth, signed card to box effect, that is undetectable. Yes, it does incorporate Dr. Daley's Last Trick, but I would have said it was, "Dr. Daley's Last Sandwich". I am constantly stating that I have enough material, and then something like this comes along and leaves me thinking, "Why don't I perform that effect anymore?" It must be years, since I performed a card to box routine, but I have a sneaky feeling that it won't be years, before I perform it again.

CC Thought Of Card: This is one for the mentalists, but isn't steeped in mystery, so will sit well within the magician's repertoire. A card is thought of, and a wallet is produced, and the thought of card is in the wallet. What more can you ask for, from an effect? A great display of professional audience management and time-misdirection is given here.

GJ Kickback Pick Pack Pocket: Straight to the point here. No messing around. A lovely bit of cheekiness (and a much unused idea, too) thrown in, for good measure, with excellent results.This is impossible!! The impossible card to wallet. A brilliant effect, with an excellent, down-to-earth presentation.

Cash And Credit Card Pickpocket: This is a nice variation on the card to wallet, that introduces that funny stuff - CASH!........... Or does it??? As is now becoming a running theme here, this is to the point, very usable and it does what it says on the tin.......... Or does it???

Wallet Transpo: This is a quick-fire, two wallet, two card transposition effect. I like this effect, because it is apparent to me, that this effect will stay with the spectator for a long time after the performance. Again, it is very direct, very strong and very magical.

John Carey's Signature Transpo: A signature jumps from the back of one card , onto the back of another......................... "Anything else? Oh, yes, the card that the signature jumps to, is the spectator's card, which they previously signed................................. "Anything else? Oh, yes, the spectator's card is in their wallet! This is another smooth effect, that will play very well with your audience. This terminology is used, to purposely keep me away from words like stunning, gob smacking, etc. for fear of pure repetition.

BONUS IDEAS ~

GJ Delusion: This is a very nice presentation of a classic effect. Performed very matter-of-factly, without the need for a table. Believe Gary, when he says that it is a killer effect. This effect is typical, to me, of all of the effects and routines in this trivideology, in that it looks so easy to perform, so strong in effect and content, and will pay highly in rewards, for the time invested into the performance of it.

Touch Card To Wallet: Another one for the mentalists? Without giving the presentation away, a duplicate of a touched card ( from a face-up, spread deck) is found inside the magician's wallet.......... Or is it???...........No, not that again. Okay, it really is in the wallet.

Top Con Control: Quite simply, this is a card control. Quite simply, I like it. Quite honestly, I will be using it.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

350zTT
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of 350zTT
I have both pseudo pickpocketing and pocket this! I love both of these dvds. My fav effect from the two is gary jones' 6 cards to pocket! I can't believe he released this because it's so go! You get ahead of the game and stay that way the whole way through the trick. The first time I watched it I was like no way. The explainations are in great detail. I recommend you pick both of these dvds up because they are that good.....and I have a ton of dvds!
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 11:47, 350zTT wrote:
I have both pseudo pickpocketing and pocket this! I love both of these dvds. My fav effect from the two is gary jones' 6 cards to pocket! I can't believe he released this because it's so go! You get ahead of the game and stay that way the whole way through the trick. The first time I watched it I was like no way. The explainations are in great detail. I recommend you pick both of these dvds up because they are that good.....and I have a ton of dvds!

Well thank you 350zTT, very kind of you to say and glad you like the material on them.

Kind regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I saw Gary do his six card to pocket routine a few times at Blackpool and it got me every time. Needless to say, it's the first thing I watched when I got back to the States. Smile

Great routine. I thought I might have to sacrifice a few knuckles practicing it but it's not difficult at all to do.

Haven't watch Pseudo Pickpocketing, yet, but it's next on my to do list!
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 14:03, Cameron Francis wrote:
I saw Gary do his six card to pocket routine a few times at Blackpool and it got me every time. Needless to say, it's the first thing I watched when I got back to the States. Smile

Great routine. I thought I might have to sacrifice a few knuckles practicing it but it's not difficult at all to do.

Haven't watch Pseudo Pickpocketing, yet, but it's next on my to do list!

Cameron, you should see me do this when I'm sober!! The last time I showed you 6 Cards to Pocket was when you were sitting with Peter Duffie, Gavin Ross, Gary Middleton and Ben Earle, that was in the early hours of the morning in the Ruskin after a shed load of beer Smile

Hope you're keeping well and busy mate.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Pseudo Pickpocket...anyone have this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL