The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colossal Blizzard (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Just got the email on this effect. I have to admit looks rather interesting. Unfortunately the demo does not a show the full routine... Here's the info:

The Effect

A spectator selects a color, a suit, and a number... The selected card is the only card with a face in a blank-faced deck of cards!

Self-contained. Only 52 cards are used.

* No deck switches!
* No gimmicked cards!
* No difficult sleights!
* Just great magic!

The demo (although lacking) looks quite good. I'm considering purchasing this. Any thoughts all?

Luke
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
What is the link?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Doesn't show the whole routine? Man it doesn't show anything!! I wonder what Dean Dill thinks of this...
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 12:09, Andre M Bisson wrote:
Doesn't show the whole routine? Man it doesn't show anything!! I wonder what Dean Dill thinks of this...

Yeah, they could have named it something else.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

"Performance concepts by Kenton Knepper, Bob Farmer and Dean Dill."

Looks like Dean is cool with it.
Douglas Lippert
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Douglas Lippert
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 12:35, DVLKCC wrote:

I don't know that that means he's cool with it necessarily. I think it just means this effect is based on their work and that statement could have been made regardless of whether those people were ever contacted about this.

But I doubt he has a problem with them using the word Blizzard in the name of the effect, given that it owes a debt to his effect. Just as I'm sure Paul Curry didn't flip out every time someone used "Out of this _______" for a variation on OOTW. That type of acknowledgment in the name of an effect seems fairly standard to me.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Just my opinion but I don't really see the point of buying an effect you can do with a normal deck of cards (ok... two) with just a tiny bit of misdirection... Especially if you don't end clean... C'mon!!! People will want to grab that deck!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 14:00, goldeneye007 wrote:
Just my opinion but I don't really see the point of buying an effect you can do with a normal deck of cards (ok... two) with just a tiny bit of misdirection... Especially if you don't end clean... C'mon!!! People will want to grab that deck!

agreed... I rather like blizzard the way it is
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-11-04 13:10, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 12:35, DVLKCC wrote:

I don't know that that means he's cool with it necessarily. I think it just means this effect is based on their work and that statement could have been made regardless of whether those people were ever contacted about this.

But I doubt he has a problem with them using the word Blizzard in the name of the effect, given that it owes a debt to his effect. Just as I'm sure Paul Curry didn't flip out every time someone used "Out of this _______" for a variation on OOTW. That type of acknowledgment in the name of an effect seems fairly standard to me.

You think Dean Dill would add his performance ideas if he was miffed about the name?

One less deck to carry is a BIG plus. I don't like to have the "magician's bulge."
Douglas Lippert
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 16:08, DVLKCC wrote:
You think Dean Dill would add his performance ideas if he was miffed about the name?

I think you're misreading the ad copy and my post. I don't think he added his performance ideas. The effect is Anthony Miller's, based on the work of Dean Dill, Kenton Knepper and Bob Farmer and there is another handling provided by Luke Jermay.
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hey guys,
I figured I'd chime in on this new routine by Tony Miller. This trick bares no similarity in terms of method to Blizzard. The overall effect is the same, namely a thought of card is revealed to be the only printed card while all the other ones are blank. So why release it? Blizzard fooled the hell out of me the first time I saw it, and I think it's a great trick. However, from a practical perspective it involves carrying a lot of stuff. I don't want to reveal any secrets but those familiar with it know what I mean. Colossal Blizzard is one deck, 52 cards, that's it. It is designed to be done entirely in the hands with no tables. To me these are huge advantages.
During the taping I performed this in Vegas well over a hundred times. If you put that into perspective, that's roughly 10-12 performances per hour; with the taping lasting several hours per day for multiple days. Not once did somebody at the end of the routine ask to see the cards. We're talking drunk people and some very wild ones, on the Las Vegas strip. The routine is very well constructed and as far as I'm concerned you end clean. The trick is reset and ready to go again. Your audience has the cards in their hand and are touching and examining throughout, so if at the end someone says to you let me see everything then you are doing something wrong. The trick really grew on me the more I performed it, and I am confident it will be well received by the community.

Regards,
Oz
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
Can you do it with cards that have Xs on the face, instead of blanks?
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Thanks Oz for commenting, I think I'll have to pick this one up. Cheers.

Luke
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 17:37, Ozer4 wrote:
Hey guys,
I figured I'd chime in on this new routine by Tony Miller.
During the taping I performed this in Vegas well over a hundred times. If you put that into perspective, that's roughly 10-12 performances per hour; with the taping lasting several hours per day for multiple days. Not once did somebody at the end of the routine ask to see the cards.
Regards,
Oz

Oz:

Then why didn't Penguin/Anthony Miller have the chop cup balls to have you do a proper demo from start to finish, as you had done for Clutch and Perfection?

And why did you agree to "lose" your production items and perform such a fragmentary demo?

I thought you had "production values" in all senses of each of the words that make up that film/TV phrase.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I saw Tony perform this and even though tony was not giving it his all for us magicians it still fooled us. I think when an effect fools you and you immeadietely say to yourself "it wasnt that good" you are trying to console your self because you are jealous that you didn't come up with. That's how I felt when I saw this effect. Tony also has some effect where a card rises in a ziplock bag. Interesting thing about Tony is several effects that our popular today are originated or had their roots with him or appeared first in his magazine.
P3
practice practice perform.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 23:03, Arnon wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 17:37, Ozer4 wrote:
Hey guys,
I figured I'd chime in on this new routine by Tony Miller.
During the taping I performed this in Vegas well over a hundred times. If you put that into perspective, that's roughly 10-12 performances per hour; with the taping lasting several hours per day for multiple days. Not once did somebody at the end of the routine ask to see the cards.
Regards,
Oz

Oz:

Then why didn't Penguin/Anthony Miller have the chop cup balls to have you do a proper demo from start to finish, as you had done for Clutch and Perfection?

And why did you agree to "lose" your production items and perform such a fragmentary demo?

I thought you had "production values" in all senses of each of the words that make up that film/TV phrase.

Hello, I am Anthony Miller. I am NOT SURE what you are trying to say here... All I can say is I have been performing CB for a long time. Personally, as to demo videos. I am NOT in favor of them. All that happens is that people set around and pick them apart, frame by frame. I am old fashioned. Here is a description of the effect. It works as promised. End of story... But today, I am told people gotta have a video... Whatever. The people at Penguin made the video as brief as possible at my request. So quit busting their "chop balls". Whatever that means...

By the way, it IS a good effect.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If Tony Miller's name is on it, it's good. That's how good he is. Add Oz Pearlman's talented brain and hands and you have a worker. That's how good Oz is.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 04:52, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
If Tony Miller's name is on it, it's good. That's how good he is. Add Oz Pearlman's talented brain and hands and you have a worker. That's how good Oz is.

Thank you Chris. By the way, someone sent me an email... Here was my response to them:

Hello Mr. (cant say your name here because you are kinda suit happy I am told), The effect is called Colosal Blizzard... NOT Blizzard. There are HUNDREDS of instances of this type of naming convention in magic. As this effect combines elements (effect wise , not methodologically ) of Blizzard and Colossal Killer That is how the name was selected. We, in the effect description, state that the effect is based on the works of others, but with very diverging methods.

How many people have released "versions " of Out of This World (Galaxy,Universe,etc.), Zig zag (cigarette, card, pop can etc) and Professors Nightmare (Daydream,Nightmare IMPROVED, In Color etc) and MANY other effects.

Basically, it is commonly done as a naming convention for a shorthand description of the effect contained therein for the benefit of the consumer. NOT generally because it is a silly attempt to confuse people. If that were the case we would NOT have put a disclaimer and credit in the effects description.

" Oh, this effect must combine the features of Blizzard and Killer. I understand!" Says the consumer.

I hope that this makes it clear why we were called it what we did. After all, I was thinking of calling it Professor Nightmares Out of This World Blizzardly Killer.

Anthony Miller
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colossal Blizzard (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL