The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colossal Blizzard (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Maybe??

Professor Nightmares Out of This World Blizzardly Killer 2.0

:)
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
I think 'Out Of This Blizzard' sounds kinda nice! Smile

Give Tony a break guys, his reputation thus far has proven that he does not deserve this treatment. Furthermore, it's his prerogative if he doesn't want a proper demo out; the decision has its pros and cons, but it IS his decision to make. Besides, if the trick is good, it will sell on its own; demo video or no.

I gotta be honest, I initially thought that this trick was a supposed improvement on Blizzard. I'm a believer that if something isn't broke, it doesn't need fixing. Blizzard is a fine effect. But after reading what Oz has said about it, that it's conditions of performing are different to Blizzard's (i.e. in the hands, no table, etc.), I feel that this trick is in a class of its own and it should be evaluated as such.

I look forward to reading more about this!

Congrats Tony!

Stay safe,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Well after starting this thread I bought it... Will post a review after it downloads. No doubt if Oz and Anthony are involved it was well worth it!

Luke
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1926 Posts

Profile of ted french
Come on Tony be honest you know you have been begging Paper Crane to shoot an advant garde Andy Warhol meets MTV style demo.
P3
practice practice perform.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Luke,

Looking forward to it mate!

Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I've heard rumours of this... Tony performing the effect whilst doing a headstand on a campbells soup tin, wearing a leather suit with about 50 demo cutaways mid effect and exotic dancers doing their thing in only bling.

I'd actually pay money for that.

Luke
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Ok guys, downloaded and viewed. Here's my review:

Colossal Blizzard

I have to start out by saying how much I love the speed of Penguin's servers... Always super fast when grabbing downloads. Brilliant! That being said onto the performance. (Keep in mind I have owned neither KK or Blizzard)

No offense to Tony, but a clearer demo would have been useful for me to make a more informed purchase. That being said I still like the effect. As always Oz is a great teacher, and the performance of the effect is extremely well done. After seeing the full performance with Oz's handling I was still loving this effect. It was nicely executed and in the spectators mind I could see how they would believe that you only used blank cards (clean) and their chosen card.

The handling is very easy and very simple. Obviously you cannot do this with a borrowed deck, and a small amount of setup is required. But even for walk around, keeping a spare deck for this effect in your pocket and giving it a hearty shuffle whilst introducing the effect is enough to make the setup unnoticable.

I should also note that personally, I would not perform this completely surrounded. You have to be really careful of angles, but I expected as much.

I loved the way Oz ended this effect with a reversed fan, to me there is no way in the spectator's mind that you were working with anything but a blank deck of cards and their selected card. Not too much can be said in this review without revealing a large majority of the effect, but let me just say that I WILL use this. I may not use this often, but it will be great for performing at home when I have people around.

To address the questions above I agree completely with Oz in regards to spectators wanting to examine the deck after the effect. If you perform this correctly, there should be no spectators insisting that the deck is gimmicked. And as Tony said in an earlier Penguin thread "have you guys never used an invisible deck before?" (or words to that effect) If you can't take the heat off this then I suggest you seriously rethink your crowd management skills.

All in all I quite like this effect. It may not be my purchase of the year, it may not be something that I am going to use all that often. But it is indeed something I am grateful to have purchased.

You could also use many invisible deck effects with this, such as to have all of the blank faced cards marked with an X (if that fits your performance style). Personally I like the cards all blank, it just looks really clean and a lot less patter is needed to explain it.

Your spectators should be saying WOW after this. Well done Tony.

Luke
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Thanks for the review Luke!

Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
A reverse fan? Please tell me there is more to it than just having them pick any card and then reverse fanning the whole deck to show it all blank? For the money I would feel ripped off.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 13:46, DVLKCC wrote:
A reverse fan? Please tell me there is more to it than just having them pick any card and then reverse fanning the whole deck to show it all blank? For the money I would feel ripped off.

Look at the demo.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Yes, much more than that... In fact, I don't use the reverse fan, as I think it is a tell to experienced magicians... The way the routine is constructed, you appear to show BOTH sides of all the cards BEFORE you get to the climax... I also prefer the first handling but to each his own. It is all good.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Although different, I prefer peter nardi's thoughtless when it comes down to blank deck routine.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
There seem to be a lot of blank deck routines out there, now. "Blizzard", "White Bikes", "Fade-Out", "Point Blank", and Craig Petty's new "Blank" DVD.

I'll probably stick with "Blizzard", but this is a whole different slant on the effect, and I think it's very good.

Robert
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
I agree with Thomas Kwon, Thoughtless is very good
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 14:38, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 13:46, DVLKCC wrote:

Look at the demo.

There isn't much to see.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Actually, the reverse fan is not needed at all... It is simply something Oz put in as an addition. I myself don't use it.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
DVLKCC

Guys I only added the part in my review on the reverse fan because I found it to be a nice little finisher, it has nothing to do with the mechanics of the effect as Tony said above, and it most definitely not necessary to perform this effect.

Luke
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 21:40, Robert M wrote:
There seem to be a lot of blank deck routines out there, now. "Blizzard", "White Bikes", "Fade-Out", "Point Blank", and Craig Petty's new "Blank" DVD.

I'll probably stick with "Blizzard", but this is a whole different slant on the effect, and I think it's very good.

Robert
Also along the same lines, the "Hummer Deck"
Tony Chapparo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
DOOMO... you left my name out of your message... I spoke with Dean Dill today and he had no idea you were putting this out and using 'BLIZZARD' as the name. He's not happy, but intimted that a cash settlement to continure using the name BLIZZARD could be negotiated. You can reach him at intmiracle@deandill.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1654 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
DVLKCC, MagicSquared told you to watch the demo because he shows the faces of blank cards. Clearly from the demo you can see that he doesn't just reverse spread to show them all blank.

I learned this effect and I think it's genius how simple it is. It's a really cool effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colossal Blizzard (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL