The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colossal Blizzard (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2008-11-06 19:19, Pete Biro wrote:
DOOMO... you left my name out of your message... I spoke with Dean Dill today and he had no idea you were putting this out and using 'BLIZZARD' as the name. He's not happy, but intimted that a cash settlement to continure using the name BLIZZARD could be negotiated. You can reach him at intmiracle@deandill.com

I agree Pete. A flaw like this should- and can be avoided with a little research. Same thing just happened with Frozen by Nefesch and the up-comming release of Frozen by Adam Grace. Luckily both parties settled and reached a mutual agreement to not confuse one effect with the other.

Concerning both Blizzard's: They are almost identical effects.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
I just want to go on the record and say that Dean Dill's Blizzard is the only magic trick I have seen in a long long time that completely fried my brain.

This version...not so much. Its the same....but its not the same.

(And I do think permission should have been granted or at least asked before using the name.)
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8398 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
DOOMO... you left my name out of your message... I spoke with Dean Dill today and he had no idea you were putting this out and using 'BLIZZARD' as the name. He's not happy, but intimted that a cash settlement to continure using the name BLIZZARD could be negotiated. You can reach him at intmiracle@deandill.com

You're kidding, right?
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Ok... This effect was designed to be more akin to the kollosal killer genre... With a blank face finish as in Blizzard. As this effect combines aspects of BOTH effects, I figured the title would make the effect fairly self explanatory.

As far as the name, it is a fairly common convention in magic to name effects as such... For example, The various versions of Professors Nitemare... / Professors Daydream and several others. Out of this world / Out of this universe , etc. Further than That by Stewart James/ Too many variations to think about.

It is done as a shorthand so the buying public will know the general kind of effect that we are talking about. It is NOT meant in any way to say that the effect in question is to be confused with a predecessor.

As far as method goes, it is TOTALLY different from the aforementioned effects.

THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE LIFTING ENTIRE EFFECTS WHOLESALE, and THIS is what concerns you?

My BKM wallet was lifted, ad copy and all... Down to the stitching... It was called BKM European... I did not hear much in the way of public complaints. My Steve Draun Wallet has been lifted stitch for stitch by TWO manufacturers. Once again, not a voice raised in protest...

I used a fairly common naming convention, If it is that much of a bother, I will change the name... But seriously people.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Does this mean that Josh Jay is a theif too, because he calls his Triumph routine, which was based on Back in Time by Jay Sankey, Back in Time. It's in this months Magic Magazine. Lot's of people call their Spellbound routines, quite simply, Spellbound. The Vernon estate isn't hunting them down. When did magic become all about money and not about advancing the art? "You used Blizzard in the name of a magic trick as a tribute to the 'Blizzard-like' ending in your new trick, so you need to give us money" makes no sense too me. The method is totally different from Blizzard and Tony put it out there as a tribute. Name one magician that has released quality material to the world that hasn't used a variation of the name of an effect he was inspired by.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:

I as well hope you are joking. There is no need to stir up trouble Biro.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 17:00, DVLKCC wrote:
Quote:

I don't think he was.

Look people, the name is the name, and as Tony mentioned, it is done all the time. That should be the end of subject.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Did anyone contact the estate of Paul Curry over A New World? It's a derivative of Out of This World and I'm pretty sure he wasn't asked if they could use the word World in the title. Just a thought.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 20:34, Jeff Corn wrote:
Did anyone contact the estate of Paul Curry over A New World? It's a derivative of Out of This World and I'm pretty sure he wasn't asked if they could use the word World in the title. Just a thought.

Did you get permission to use the word "thought" in your last sentence? Smile
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 13:33, Doomo wrote:
Ok... This effect was designed to be more akin to the kollosal killer genre... With a blank face finish as in Blizzard. As this effect combines aspects of BOTH effects, I figured the title would make the effect fairly self explanatory.

As far as the name, it is a fairly common convention in magic to name effects as such... For example, The various versions of Professors Nitemare... / Professors Daydream and several others. Out of this world / Out of this universe , etc. Further than That by Stewart James/ Too many variations to think about.

It is done as a shorthand so the buying public will know the general kind of effect that we are talking about. It is NOT meant in any way to say that the effect in question is to be confused with a predecessor.

As far as method goes, it is TOTALLY different from the aforementioned effects.

THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE LIFTING ENTIRE EFFECTS WHOLESALE, and THIS is what concerns you?

My BKM wallet was lifted, ad copy and all... Down to the stitching... It was called BKM European... I did not hear much in the way of public complaints. My Steve Draun Wallet has been lifted stitch for stitch by TWO manufacturers. Once again, not a voice raised in protest...

I used a fairly common naming convention, If it is that much of a bother, I will change the name... But seriously people.

Well said! I like this effect and don't think it's intended as a rip off as Biro indicated earlier. I'm going to order this!!!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I think the name is fine. Sheesh.

Robert
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Tell yall what... If ya order it, I got a new twist on it that I think all of you will like... Let me know.. And thanks for the support.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

www.rfaproductions.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wow, the Vernon family are gonna love this since there are so many variations on his "Twisting the Aces" out there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:

Dean ought to get in touch with the Oxford, Webster and Cambridge presses. Those guys have been using the word blizzard for years without Dean's permission. The royalties he's owed could be quite lucrative.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
"Titles" of songs, etc. can't be copywrited. I'm a big fan of the work of both Dean Dill and Tony Miller and I don't see any issue with Tony's title for the name of his new effect.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

Dean Dill is Café Member - isn't he?

Quote:
On 2008-11-07 11:47, pegasus wrote:
You're kidding, right?

Quote:
On 2008-11-07 17:00, DVLKCC wrote:

Quote:
On 2008-11-07 15:46, Jeff Corn wrote:
Does this mean that Josh Jay is a theif too, because he calls his Triumph routine, which was based on Back in Time by Jay Sankey, Back in Time. It's in this months Magic Magazine. Lot's of people call their Spellbound routines, quite simply, Spellbound. The Vernon estate isn't hunting them down. When did magic become all about money and not about advancing the art? "You used Blizzard in the name of a magic trick as a tribute to the 'Blizzard-like' ending in your new trick, so you need to give us money" makes no sense too me. The method is totally different from Blizzard and Tony put it out there as a tribute. Name one magician that has released quality material to the world that hasn't used a variation of the name of an effect he was inspired by.

Jeff Corn, very well said.

Quote:
On 2008-11-08 12:29, evolve629 wrote:
Well said! I like this effect and don't think it's intended as a rip off as Biro indicated earlier. I'm going to order this!!!

Quote:
On 2008-11-08 12:45, Robert M wrote:
I think the name is fine. Sheesh.

Quote:
On 2008-11-09 01:51, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Wow, the Vernon family are gonna love this since there are so many variations on his "Twisting the Aces" out there.

Quote:
On 2008-11-09 03:38, ASW wrote:
Dean ought to get in touch with the Oxford, Webster and Cambridge presses. Those guys have been using the word blizzard for years without Dean's permission. The royalties he's owed could be quite lucrative.

Quote:
On 2008-11-09 04:57, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
"Titles" of songs, etc. can't be copywrited. I'm a big fan of the work of both Dean Dill and Tony Miller and I don't see any issue with Tony's title for the name of his new effect.

Quote:
On 2008-11-07 13:33, Doomo wrote:

The new effect is not named 'Blizzard' its known as Colossal Blizzard. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the title of your new effect.

Wish you & your effect good luck.

Smile

P.S. A humble request - Runawayjag may kindly like to throw some light on this please.
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Actually, I awoke this morning with a email from Dean Dill saying for me to go ahead and use the name with his blessings. So if that is ok with Mr. Biro I guess we can proceed.

www.rfaproductions.com
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
886 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
Wow.....Just Wow..... How many POSTS over a name?
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 06:04, Judah Vee wrote:
Wow.....Just Wow..... How many POSTS over a name?

Something like 59... so far.
Any day I'm walking on top of the grass instead of looking up at the roots is a good day!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 14:00, goldeneye007 wrote:
Just my opinion but I don't really see the point of buying an effect you can do with a normal deck of cards (ok... two) with just a tiny bit of misdirection... Especially if you don't end clean... C'mon!!! People will want to grab that deck!

I performed Dean's Blizzard an awful lot..and I loved ending clean..if this effect doesn't have that advantage, then I think it will not even garner my interest.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colossal Blizzard (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL