The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Deans Set or Expanded Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
Hello All,

Recently I decided that I want to invest in a good [ set. I think the barber halves are good because they are silver and soft, plus I work best with half dollar sized coins. I was on the Schoolcraft site and noticed that they also sell a set referred to as a "Dean's Set" which features an unexpanded [ and four milled coins. They looked very nice, but the expanded set is 50 dollars less. I understand the advantages of an unexpanded set, but is it worth the extra 50 dollars?

Thanks,
coinguy
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
It all depends on you. I prefer unexpanded sets because the milling is crisp, making classic palm and edge grip easier, plus the coins all fit PERFECTLY, as they have been milled to size. I think $50.00 is a small price to pay for the extra work involved and the benefit of easier palming. And being slightly smaller, they may be easier to palm, depending on your hand size. Good luck, whatever you decide -

Bill
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've never handled a Schoolcraft set that wasn't a Dean's set. My only [ prior was Johnson's and I can tell you that a Dean's set fits perfectly unlike the Johnson's. Try and find friends with different sets so you can see the difference.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
Sounds like the few extra bucks pays off in the long run, especially with the nice milling. That will be really nice I bet.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I have Dean set in Walking liberty

It's great... The milled really help you to grip.

It's the best investment in my magic life

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
For very soft coins you may be better off with a deans set, I use Walkers and prefer expanded sets but that's just opinion. Keep in mind you're going to use the coins for many years, the price difference will be long forgotten and you will still be using the coins. If possible follow Pepka's advice and try some friends sets, sometimes easier said than done.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I've handled both types, and in my opinion, Walkers and Barbers look better if they aren't cut down as in a Dean's set. Admittedly, the edges are sharper, but it's really not that hard to palm a silver half dollar.

On the other hand, I prefer the Dean's set for soft Morgans. Due to the larger size, they still look good and they're easier to palm.
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
I would agree with NicholasD that I would go with an expanded set.I have had nearly most of the sets (expanded and deans) in half dollars and silver dollars..If you want crisp milling then the deans set is better but my last set of walkers from jamie was an expanded set and the coins had nice edges anyway.I am not really one for the cut down coins anymore at least if you lose one you can easily pick up a couple off ebay and see if they fit where as you would have to order another deans coin if you lost one which will work out a little bit more,plus I like to keep all my coins now with out having them cut down,it's not much but to me I can feel the difference.

It's your call really. p.s up to now I have been lucky when adding extra coins to my expanded shell off ebay they all have fitted well.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
I am having second thoughts about getting the barbers. Is there any specific coin that people recommend. 1964's walking liberties or barbers? Liberties are cheaper than barbers, and I don't really see a difference in them at all. I was thinking of getting Kennedy 64's since people actually recognize them, and also they will look more natural with the freshly milled edges considering they faces are shiny as well.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It seems to me that it's a waste of money to get a Dean's Set made with uncirculated Kennedy halves. They already have sharp edges and when all four coins are cut down ( whether they're Walkers, Barbers or Kennedys ) they just look a little odd because they become smaller than they already are.

I've seen and handled them all. When it comes to half dollars, I'd always opt for a good expanded shell with matching coins.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
Alright, since I think the general consensus is that I should get either walking liberties or barbers. Is there any reason to get one over the other?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Barbers are thinner and generally softer, so better for stack work. Personally, I think they look nicer, too.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
My only problem with the barbers and liberties is that I like really shiny coins because I use the retention pass a lot, and the shinyness of the coin only aids in the effect. This is the only reason I consider getting a Kennedy set. Do you think it is worth it?
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Don't look at the cost, buy what you like if you should have the stuff the rest of your life.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
If you have the money it is really worth the investment to go with the Deans set. It makes more than just a little diffrence.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I still perfer expanded. the deans set inserts are noticable smaller by sight and by feel. also your limited to only those coins. this matters when you need a 5th or 6th coin.

its much simpiler just to learn to handle coins without milled edges
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Absolutely agree with you there Joshua,expanded is the way to go.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
I am not interested in the dean's set for the edges, I am only interested because of the great side coverage.
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Hey coinguy,you don't need a deans set for great side coverage...I have a lassen expanded shell that looks awesome ..also jamies are good but lassens shells are more sturdy.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Side coverage is not any different assumung you get one from jamie or todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Deans Set or Expanded Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL