We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Are you addicted to magic??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2497 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I was thinking about this, and I think I am addicted to magic. It brings me happiness momentarily, and I keep needing to buy more. I buy stuff and don't use it or need it. I sometimes spend money on it I don't have.

Am I the only one???
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Not me! Where are my cups and balls? I need them now!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
I'm right there with you. I have calmed down a bit, but I've been selling some old stuff to buy new stuff.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I used to buy a lot of props, then I moved onto DVDs, then I went to books. Now I realize I don't need anything else but to just read, reread, and read the books again. Talking about magic on a deeper level with other magicians is where I get my jollies now.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Josh makes a good point. I'm slowly getting there with the books. The problem with buying too much is that most of the new effects I buy is stuff I'll never use. Most of what I use I get from a book or DVD. I'll have to start re-reading what I already have.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2497 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I understand what you mean. I guess being obsessed with something takes on different forms for different people. So many magicians that I have become friends with have large amounts of magic. They are always in search of that great effect. Whether they hope to find it in a book, a DVD, or the latest trick release.
For me, the anticipation of waiting on a package to come in the mail is what excites me. It is like Christmas morning whenever I get a magic order. Just like most children, when I open the package I am often let down with what I get.

I guess when I use words like addicted or obsessed, I just wonder how many of you out there spend the majority of your free time researching, practicing, buying, or selling magic?
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Right now, my time is spent doing research and garnering ideas for character development. I already know which direction I want to go in and have some ideas for effects and presentations. I just need to get back to phase one.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I'm a magic addict, too. That is why I spend so much time on the Café.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Magic to me is an addiction. I am one the enslaved I think, at least I think it's cessation would cause me severe trauma. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well, the psychologist in me wants to point out the huge difference between addiction and obsession. But I do not believe I am either addicted (nor do I believe a magic addiction is even possible), nor am I obsessed with it, but I certainly do enjoy it greatly.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2497 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Father Photius,
Right you are about them being totally different. I was just trying to open up the limitations of the thread.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Next week, I am signing up for magic anonymous awareness class.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
When I was in what I call the exploration stages, I bought a lot of magic products.
Nowadays, I am aware of the hype and am very selective in my buying.
The holy grail of magic isn't in props, books, etc.
Not unlike Josh, I have some direction as to what I want.

I have a fair library, and by re-reading the books, I have realized how much I missed in my first read-throughs.
I also realize that a thousand tricks aren't needed to entertain the laity and that some of the older ones work just as well as the newer ones.

I've bought maybe an average of two items a year in the past five years.

Magic is a part of my life and not something I think I could give up easily.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 13:04, Dynamike wrote:
I'm a magic addict, too. That is why I spend so much time on the Café.

With all due respect, my friend, you are a Café addict. Not the same thing. You are also addicted to your post count, I'm afraid.

WORD.

Love ya anyway.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Magic is way to escape reality and share this experience with others.
It may not be an obsession, but it certainly is a form of addiction. One doesn't have to be schizophrenic or psychopath to have a need to live in a dreamworld.
Yes, I'm a bit neurotic about magic and not far from being addicted, as I feel that the magic world we magicians create is somehow better than the "real world," whatever that is.

The need to share this with laypeople seems to me not to be too far from a rationalization.

Again, I'm not far from doing magic as a need, but what saves me is that such a need is not constant, even if it is remnant, and it is challenged by other escapes like enjoying my family, studying religions, constantly seeking deeper historical knowledge to better understand politics, looking at how other people are and do whatever they do...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3331 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've channeled my addiction (sure, I'll call it that, why not?) into three useful categories:

1. real practice and performance.
  2. collecting rare/ antique/ and superior quality magic props.
  3. books.

Thus, my helpless addiction is put to my own ends and not to a slavish need to buy new tricks I'll never use.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I've been curbing my addiction from buying new handcuffs to inventing new escape stunts.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
danielellis_5
View Profile
Loyal user
Sheffield
211 Posts

Profile of danielellis_5
I'm definitely addicted. All of my money goes to magic. I can't help ordering things off the Internet, and most of my free time is spent doing something magic-related. But I'm happy, and that's what counts. lol

Dan
Best quote from a spectator"I know how he did that,it was sleight of hand"(spectator then sits back looking pleased with himself)
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2344 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I can certainly relate to what everyone is saying about being “addicted” to magic. I am not up on the technicalities of the word addiction like Father Photius is; however, I believe that when magic keeps you from what is really important in life (family, etc.) it can certainly be a problem and unhealthy. So much of life revolves around the word BALANCE.

Some of us here at the Café, including myself, make a living doing magic. This complicates finding a balance even further. By studying my craft thoroughly, I am attempting to bring prosperity to my family; at least that’s what I can tell myself if I am being consumed by magic, and to a large degree it's true.

Fortunately, there is a safe guard called “burn out.” If I over do it, and I have in the past, I will eventually become burned out for a while, and then I am delighted to catch up on family responsibilities, home repairs, health, etc.

I also believe in healthy addictions. The “high” that a long distance runner experiences is a great example of this. I know someone who stopped drinking one day and began running marathons in place of that habit. He transferred an unhealthy addiction to a healthy one. But even running can be overdone and cause problems, including death!

Magic can also be a healthy addiction...and an unhealthy one.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2497 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Dan,
You sound a lot like me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Are you addicted to magic??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL