The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Victor & Diamond :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Wow, finally able to see victor & Diamond dove act again after so many years....this time Victor posted it in youtube..their dove & parkeet splitting is very unique..always love his smoke to dove opening! Smile

I only watched their old dove act about 12 years back on the tape: SECRET, THE ART OF DOVE STEALING, so happy to see the act again with added materials now Smile

I learned so much from his dove lecture tape(SECRET, THE ART OF DOVE STEALING)in 1996, his pockets placement & he is the first dove magician to teach the Dove Split in VHS form.

Enjoy their smooth dove act with one of the hottest dove worker below Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHew6Wlu9Xg
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hi dove-boy, it's always good to watch Victor and Diamond but how do you compare the act from 12 years ago to this one? I felt the old one was much better. I didn't care for his opening being so dark. Maybe it was just the quality of the video. He almost disappeared himself by going to the rear of the stage to produce Diamond and she shouldn't have been produced in what appeared to be bath robe.

I didn't think this act had a definite routine. It was more of a compilation of effects. Don't get me wrong, what he did was great, just not a good flow in my opinion.
Where the magic begins
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Dave Smile

12-14 years back, he was using Jass music, well known for it.....think Jass more suitable...I prefer his looks now as compared with the past when he wore a singlet on the inside Smile

Anyway, the lecture at the magic castle shown in the VHS is a very memorable one as the lecture are filled with jokes...very enjoyable Smile

P/S: In my view in the act above, maybe the first part of this act has technical flaw, the Zippoo oil has dried one...supoosed to be fire on sword transfer to glove...also the glove after the stealing of the micro mist catches fire again(suppose not too)...but he covers the flaw very well....the rest all looks great! Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I agree that his outfit looks much better than the old one. I never thought his hat fit the old costume but now it works for him. I still think the stage was too dark but then again, it might just be the video. When he goes back to produce Diamond, you really can't see him as I mentioned, I think it would have been better for her to wear a white dress rather than a white bathroom.

I also agree that he cover the flaw very well. Sign of a true professional.
So well covered in fact, that I had to go back and watch the vid again after your post to catch it. It's still a very good act.
Where the magic begins
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
Daves right, way too dark in the intro, the production of the assistant looks bad.

I just saw Steven Cambian perform his dove act live. He uses a similar assistant production that is much better because its brighter. In any case, it really fooled me. This one was so dark she could have come from anywhere. Not exactly magical to me... Maybe it looked better live?

Also, he is either using Greg Frewins same music, or it sounds WAY too close to Greg Frewins music. Either way, that's a bad choice for music. I believe Greg composed his own dove act music. If he is using it with permission fine, but why would he want to? Anyone know the source of this music?

John
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I can't believe that Victor would rip off the music from Greg. I'm sure he's got permission.

BTW, when looking at this video, there are a lot of other related dove magic videos worth checking out. I don't particularly like the style of Christopher Moss but he's got some nice ideas.
Where the magic begins
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I might be wrong from my memory of working with both guys but I think I remember Greg using a lot of Cirque Soiel music.

Both guys are upright guys and neither would rip either off.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Richard, you're not wrong. I know this particular music was used by Greg but I agree that neither of these guys would blantantly rip each other off.
Where the magic begins
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
Yes but both of them deciding to use the same exact music for dove acts is just not a good idea, shows MUCH less originality for whoever did it .... second.

Gregs act is perfectly synchronized to the stabs and hits and the orchestration. Victor and diamonds looks badly done without that same timing and choreography that Greg's act has.

Just my opinion, but I invite anyone to watch both and not come away feeling the same way...

John
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I understand what you are saying about originality but in the real world I doubt if there paths ever crossed much. It is only in the magic and magic convention world that we all seem to notice the music. Most laymen do not notice the music that much. Unless it is music like Copperfield used with things with words, like Sting or Barry Manilow. To them, they are watching the magic. If they aren't, we are not doing our job.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I REALLY love Victor and Diamond... His tape was one of my favorites when I started with doves and it still is.

As far as my assistant production, thanks for the kind words magiquemaker but remember at my show you were at, I spent an hour before the show setting up my own lighting system, Victor probably just relied on the people running this tv special so its not his fault if its too dark.

I also use a good deal of time misdirection, so lighting is not really an issue I suppose. People forget too fast because of our time misdirection as far as what they see, or remember seeing. Once the girl is produced they have no idea where she could have come from.

I'm glad to see Victor and Diamond still rocking the doves, and I hope to see them live soon, he's setting up a tour I hear.

Magically,

Steven
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I learned my rabbit/chinchilla split from Victor.
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Richard, not agree when you say that the music is not really important on the lay audience...
I just believe that a good music with highlights at the right moment makes a lot on the impact, specially on a lay audience !
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Quote:
On 2008-11-08 08:31, Dave Scribner wrote:
I can't believe that Victor would rip off the music from Greg. I'm sure he's got permission.

BTW, when looking at this video, there are a lot of other related dove magic videos worth checking out. I don't particularly like the style of Christopher Moss but he's got some nice ideas.

Dave, It just goes to show we cant please everyone all the time. we each have our own likings. I appreciate your honesty in your opinion, and the fact that you share it. you do have tons of great info to share with us all. I am also very pleased that with your opinion in hand, you also took the time to mention that we were listed as a related video that they should look over. And thank you for the compliment on our ideas . Please don't take this as me getting angry with your opinion or views, but please look at it as me feeling honored that you did take the time to give us an honorable mention during this post. Look forward to many more of your informational post.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chris, thanks for the compliments and don't get me wrong, I didn't say I didn't like what you did, just that I didn't care for the style. You're right, we can't please everyone and I'm sure there are many out there that don't like my style (formal, classical, 40's and 50's style music). We all have something to contribute. I don't particularly like the style of Dan Sperry either but I like what he does.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Dave.......... Totally understand, and thanks again. Always good to read what you have to offer, read more soon.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The music Greg Frewin uses is from a 'music for magicians' CD. He cut and pasted the music as instructed in the instructions with the music. So there will be similar music from other acts. It is all how you cut and paste the music.

No on is stealing anything.

Check out Richard Wayne's Signature Series, royality free music.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It there anyone who does not like my style?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
What style? Smile just kidding Mike
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-11-12 17:22, Dynamike wrote:
It there anyone who does not like my style?

From what I seen in your looking at bird post..... you are dressed with plenty of style!!!!!!!!!! when you get a chance send me to a post with a vid, would love to see you in action!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Victor & Diamond :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL