The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello All » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
Hi everyone. I really like magic a lot, and have been been working with magic for a few years. I've been reading the forums, and as I have read, most magicians recommend books and videos. Since I also like computers, I was wondering if any of you magicians know any GOOD, and FREE web sites were I could learn more about magic? I know I must sound like a cheap-scape, but I'm only 16, and don't have a lot of money to spend on reading material. I was also wondering if there are any good magic learning videos on DVD, because I have only seen them on VHS.

-Thanks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Welcome aboard, Nick.
If you're looking for a website with good material, I would recommend Visions e-zine
http://www.online-visions.com
There's bound to be something there to pique your interest.
Or you might try The Learned Pig website; there you can get and download literally hundreds of magic books for free. Probably the greatest deal in magic!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
Wow, thanks a lot Peter, I have never seen a sight like this before, looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Smile

-Nick
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
893 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Welcome abord nick12345!

I am in a similar situation myself, being only 17. There just isn't enough money for all the purchases you want to make! You should probably check out the beginner forum... there is an excellent thread there about the best magic books (and videos). As for magic on DVDs, I think the "Exciting World of Magic" DVD is a good choice for a beginner, and if you're looking to specialize, I highly recommend the Ammar Thread Videos. If you're a card man, I think Daryl has some DVDs out. Hope that you find this information helpful!

Oops, I forgot to tell you that another great *FREE* web site for magic information would be the "Collected Wisdom of MagicTalk." Check it out... you may like it! I know, I visit frequently! That address is
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~alain/magictalk-wisdom/

Enjoy!
- Jeff
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Nick:

Welcome to the Cafe. As you have already discovered, this site is a great resource. Enjoy the time you spend here. You will find a lot of food for thought.

-Marty
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1449 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Nick, Welcome aboard. Smile
Since I have students of your age I can really figure out your situation. More over a few months ago (something like 200 months Smile ) I was in your position, but I did not have this great tool as internet.You will find a treasure of knowledge here.

Never the less, let me recommend you one more site which is FREEEEE!!! has lots of books. Tell that TORA ( That is me..) who told you about that site and get your password.
The site is: http://thelearnedpig.com.pa/
I hope you enjoy the site and I am sure that we will see each other often in this Cafe.
:dancing: Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Merlyn of 8
View Profile
Regular user
Massachusetts U.S.A.
147 Posts

Profile of Merlyn of 8
Hello and welcome Nick,
Another young Magician, that is great I'm glad to see that you have found your way here to the Magic Cafe, I have found that the coffee is good the company is great and there is plenty of food for thought here, if you ask, there is someone here that will offer good advice, so enjoy your visits here and return often!!!
Smile Smile Smile
Cheers,

Thomas Cleveland

"Life is a jurney,enjoy the jurney"
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4046 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Well met Nick!

I totally understand about the money thing...

But it sounds like you're already on the right track.

When money is tight, your best value is buying books. It's amazing how much quality magic can be created with just some simple common everyday items that you can find in the house or office.

For instance, a well-known professional in the field of mentalism claims that his entire act only uses $20 worth of materials.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Welcome! Glad you could join us. You have gotten some great advice already. If you can take the time to go through the old topics at the Cafe, you will find a ton of valuable information that can get you going. Enjoy!
:wavey:
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2315 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Nick. Welcome to the Cafe. This place is always filled with great advice. You're gonna love it! Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
You came to the right place, the information is all free (and it's great). I hope we can all help you further your magic.

Smile
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
Well, hey guys, how's it going!
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Nick,
Don't worry, we're all broke here, we're magicians. Smile

Have a coffee.
Smile

Jeb (Sable)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
Well at least the coffee around here is free!
Check the 'a tangled web we weave' forum. I've noticed that some of the folks around here have started posting urls to their own Yahoo briefcases, it's even better to see these guys perform! Smile

welcome!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4781 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Welcome aboard Nick...we're glad to have you!
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
Hi Nick, nice to meet you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello All » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL