The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk from Newpaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for buying the silks from newspaper g*****k? I have noticed the prices are all over the board. I'm looking for good quality. I would like to use 18" silks if I could depending on the size of the g*****k.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have the D Robbins ones somewhere in the magic vault. They are flesh tones and great quality and cheap!
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Darkwing.
Sent you a PM
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
U.F. Grant used to sell one by Don Tanner that had a liquid load surprise finale'.

I do not know if this is still available...

Julie
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-11-10 07:57, hugmagic wrote:
Darkwing.
Sent you a PM
Richard

Richard,

Got it, Thank you.

David
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Then there is the no gimmick method! Take a page of newspaper and punch four or five holes in it and produce four or five silk handkerchiefs. Some silks, a newspaper, and a little rubber cement are all you need. Oh and three minutes to set it up.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Harry,
When I was ten years old and had NO money for props I gimmicked up a newspaper as you describe. I did productions, color changes, and rolled up a couple of sheets into a phantom tube for vanishes. Later on I obtained the gimmick for pouring water into a newspaper. You know, I should probably dust that old routine off. I don't think anyone is doing it.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I can suggest a cool method... Get one of the newsprinted dove holders and stuff it with silks. Show the newspaper and do the steal like you would a dove, pop the harness and produce a masssive amount of silks.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Jay, you're right dust it off and use it! You'll have a one of a kind act.

Ian, I still use my dove holders and pockets for just that kind of thing. I produce my silk fountain from a single 27 inch silk (using a stuffed dove holder of the same color). I’ve even produced a full can of beer from a newspaper using a newspaper print dove holder. It is a lot easier than producing doves! LOL!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Of course, newspaper dove harnesses are available. But years ago I switched to using the Comics rather than the black and white paper.

First, the ink does not come off on my costume like black ink does from the regular newsprint.

Secondly, it is simply more colorful!

Thirdly, I have dove harnesses that match up with the comics.

Fourthly, if you are from Alabama, people will believe that you read the comics! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Well, here I thought I came up with something new. The dove bag idea was off the top of my head. Of course, if it was in my head, it wouldn't have been thought of before.
I like the varied productions Harry does, and Bob's idea of color funny papers is cool. So, what's next..50 tricks with a dove bag?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ian,

When is the publishing date?

50 tricks with a dove bag

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Don't for get who you saw do this with a bottle of beer last February. (Or did you let me get away with it?)

It would be great for a Silk Fountain!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Guys,

I bought a EZ Magic gimmick. Not very impressed. I don't think it will hold up under much usage. Is there a better built gimmick?

Richard, I should have listened to you.

David
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You don't need a gimmick to do this trick, but if you absolutely have to have one then the best you are going to get is via Richard.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Harry,

You really got me to thinking. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

Thank you,
David W.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 11:37pm
Just got the Viking Magic gimmick. It is a little more expensive but the quality is much better and will hold up a lot better.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
If you are looking to use 18" silks or more silks, then consider using diamond cut silks. I can get 4 of the 12" (looks 18") in my gimmick.

Bob... I like the comic idea.
Lynn Fox
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5296 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I can get regular 24 or 36 inch silks without a gimmick (four to six to a page). Check out your Rice. I don't like the diamond cut silks that much.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-11-25 20:47, Foxbiz wrote:
If you are looking to use 18" silks or more silks, then consider using diamond cut silks. I can get 4 of the 12" (looks 18") in my gimmick.

Bob... I like the comic idea.
Lynn Fox

Hello Lynn,

Good to see you on The Magic Café. You know that the comics are the part of the paper I understand. LOL

Silks from Newspaper is a great trick I used a lot in the 60s. I really don't have a good reason for not using it more now. Audiences love it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Just got the Viking Magic gimmick. It was a little more expensive but the gimmick is better built and is more of a flesh color than the EZ Magic version. The Viking Magic wins hands down.

David
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
David,

Just carry a role of flesh colored adhesive tape for bandages. Get the fabric type from the drug store. The color is right, it doesn't shine like most paints do and it is not slippery!

Make a gimmick out of anything!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk from Newpaper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL