The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The interrelationship between inner and outer worlds, and our ability to control one with the other, is the very definition of magic. The wisdom and intelligence of the universe is at our disposal when we learn to listen to our hearts. Why would anyone want to do anything else but magic? Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 07:22, Scott Compton wrote:
I have pondered this one often...still don't have an answer, but, at 5 years old, I would go down the street to a local soda shop with a thermos cup. I had learned the theme song to the Beverly Hillbillies and would place my cup onto a strangers table and offer to "sing about Jed for a nickel".

I love that story.

I did a trade show gig here in Vegas last year where I played banjo and "sang about Jed" probably 40 times in a 3 hour period or so. I hope to never have to "sing about Jed" for the rest of my life. Fortunately I made significantly more than a nickel for my efforts.
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
Quote:
Why Magic

Because I enjoy it.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 17:08, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 10:23, Natanel wrote:
Chicks dig it.

No, they don't. Chicks dig themselves... period.

Chicks react favorably to magic because some dude is digging on them. The rooster is strutting and showing his colors. It's that same old story, born in the realm of chick legend... "I'm not going to sleep with anyone, but by God, I better be asked."

Guys learn magic because it is dominance over something. Appreciation for the art comes later.

Michael,

I am crushed!!!!!

I thought all along because I did magic that chicks dig me.

I'm ruined, I cannot bear the pain.

OH the humanity.

David
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-11-10 11:49, Justin Style wrote:
Why not something else?

Of all the things you could be doing, why this?

Perhaps because some find that a magic wand makes a classy cane or comfortable crutch - like mirrored sunglasses that let you see others while they can't see you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is there something wrong about having a comfortable crutch? Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2008-11-10 11:49, Justin Style wrote:
Why not something else?

Of all the things you could be doing, why this?

Jumpin' in late but here goes.

The bug started for me with ventriloquism. I was the only kid from my school who was "representing" at the talent show at the sister school. Fifth grade, three corny jokes and a vent figure that was purchased at Sears for my birthday. I heard the applause in the background as I was being hustled away backstage after the curtain closed. I remember really tripping on the fact that they were clapping for me, combined with the strange sense of loss that I wasn't out there on stage anymore for that part of it. Quite a few people told me "good job" later and I was really hit with the performance bug.

I saw a church magician a few months later and realized that I would rather be on the stage than watching. He did a levitation that blew my mind, and the specifics of how he handled the hoop were burned into my mind. I finally worked out the solution (correctly) but was not just content to know how it was done, I wanted to be the one doing the doing.

So that's how it started, but what kept me interested for the next two decades was the fact that it is an art form that (can be) a combination of so many other art forms; public speaking, dance, drama, costuming, music, lighting, comedy, set design, writing, woodworking, stage craft, choreography, directing, psychology, even film. There is just so much to learn and explore. But what it taught me more than anything else is that you can engineer the life you want to live. It was that process of "I want to be a magician / learn it / do it / be it" that opened my eyes to doing the same kind of thing in the other aspects of my life.

Those other aspects have taken over for the time being, but magic will be there for me when the time is right again. For me it tends to be an all consuming beast, and I need to get some other things put to bed before I can get back to it. Magic blessed my life significantly and I don't want to return to it until I'm at a point where I can give back to it as much as it has given to me.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 10:44, tommy wrote:
The interrelationship between inner and outer worlds, and our ability to control one with the other, is the very definition of magic. The wisdom and intelligence of the universe is at our disposal when we learn to listen to our hearts. Why would anyone want to do anything else but magic? Smile

Tommy,
If you go that deep, we'll have to close this thread... there will be nothing much to add. Let's hope no one really understand what you wrote.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
Magic the in my opinion the greatest form of Art there is. It can be expressed in so many different ways. Through your body language , tone , dance , expressions , storyline , color , music , and sequence. You can tell a story with a beginning and an end with magic. Eugene Burger is the best in the business with the INNER meanings !
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL