The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Video and DVD Software Information Needed for the Mac (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Pro I went out and bought a Mac Pro. my intentions on buying it are for doing cds making dvds/videos, anyone here have any information that would help for editing the cds/dvds/videos. I'm looking for any information even if its software or books. Don,
Alexio
View Profile
New user
UK
20 Posts

Profile of Alexio
Macs usually come with some good, easy to use software on them already, such as iMovie (for video editing) and iDVD (for titling and producing DVDs). Note that iMovie is part of the package iLife which has to be purchased separately, though sometimes Macs come with it installed.

It depends on how complicated you want to take things. The Mac Pro is a powerful machine and I use mine for complex video editing - if you're interested in more serious video editing then Final Cut Express is good for the keen amateur (and not too expensive), whilst Final Cut Pro is for the professional.

But have a look around for some info on the features of iMovie and iDVD and see if they will do everything that you need. Apple's website may be a great place to start.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I know the Pro has several bays for extra hard drives. If you don't have a second drive, get one. Even if it is an external Firewire drive (FW800 if possible), that will help performance quite a bit. I've got a shelf of G-Tech 1.5 TB RAIDs to keep current projects on. You probably don't need that much storage for personal projects, but cutting on a drive other than your main hard drive will help with performance when cutting footage.

The next thing is cut a lot. Its like photography, the more you do it, the better you'll get. Just play with the footage!

Alexio hit the nail on the head about Macs and their software. Plus, you can always upgrade to FCE and FCStudio. In the end, it's just different buttons in different places, but the skills of cutting are what's important.

Have fun!
Scott
Alexio
View Profile
New user
UK
20 Posts

Profile of Alexio
Great points. I'll reinforce the idea of putting extra hard drives in there - especially if you plan on using High Definition video in the future (which you should). Mine is full of 1TB hard drives and they're almost full (a mere 300GB or so left!) so I'm currently looking at external HD options - Scott, those G-Tech drives you mention look really nice.
Great looking website & company by the way, Scott.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yeah, Scott really knows his stuff when it comes to video and Macs. I hear he even has the 2 lost episodes of The Magic Lantern on one of those drives. Of course, that may just be a myth like Bigfoot, The Loch Ness Monster or a New England state that votes a for a Republican president.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

*grin* Mythical creatures you speak of, man. A mythical creature, especially that Lantern one. Its coming soon. Really.

Alexio, yes, those are some great drives. I love mine. They can handle several layers of HD footage without breaking a sweat. Not sure what kind of camera you have, but if you are shooting in HDV, a popular consumer HD format, that is processor intensive. Your Pro will chew through it, but the external drive will help keeping your internal drive from burning up! I normally cut DVCProHD, which is less processor intensive and I feel is a better format (just my opinion, not fact).

While on the topic of hard drives, try to keep at least 20% of the drive free for temp files. If you fill up a drive too much (like 5% or less free space), its chances of failing skyrocket.

And thanks for the compliments. I appreciate that.

Donster, enjoy and post your stuff when you've got something you're ready to share! All the best.
JayZee
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of JayZee
Hey well this looks like a forum for me!
I am a Entertainer as well as a Video Editor.. I have been a pro ent. for about 25 years. and a Pro Video Editor & Designer for about 7.

I use FCP Motion, Livetype, Logic, Soundtrack Pro, and just getting into Shake..
So if you find something a bit over your head feel free to ask me a question.. or if you would like me to help design your Promo or video, or even Audio for your show.. that's what I do.. visit my site at http://www.NGVproductions.com Stnads for Next Generation Video Productions you might have seen my ad in Magic Magazine recently..

anyway for those of you who really want to learn about Mac software there is a AWSOME! website for it.

you need high speed internet (so sorry Cruise Ship entertainers.. you will have to wait till your on Vacation & not paying 55 cents a Minute for Snail speed wifi! ha ha)

anyway the site is called LYNDA.com it's great subscribe forever for a small fortune, per year or per month..

or get together and split the price & share the username (im sure that's illegal but hey I'm telling you to do it not me! ha ah )

anyway it will teach you via a Video tudor a million programs by chapter! it's Awsome!!!

check it out & if that doesn't help I will be more then happy to answer any questions you have..

Email me at Promovideos@mac.com

Good luck !
www.NGVproductions.com
"Isn't it time to bring your ideas to life?"
Alexio
View Profile
New user
UK
20 Posts

Profile of Alexio
Scott: Yep I film in HDV. And yeah I'll have to invest in some external hard drives in the near future for my work. Though I love how almost hot swappable the internal HDs are in a Mac Pro - and I thought installing extra hard drives in a PC was simple!

JayZee: Thanks for the Lynda link - I'm always looking for good resources of tutorials and that looks like a great place. And haha a pro entertainer for 25 year? Nice. Considering I'm only 21 I can't say I have anywhere NEAR the same experience in magic or editing!

As soon as I get some free time from my current project I plan on creating a magic video - though I expect it'll be just as much about showcasing my editing skills than my magic skills. You'll both have to check it out!
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

JayZee,

Welcome! You'll really enjoy Shake. That used to be my bread and butter before moving up to Nuke. Shake is a very capable program. I've done some great shots with it (I've got a bunch posted on my site in my sig).

I watched your work and you have some nice pieces on your site (noticed it was a .Mac/.Me account *grin*).

It's always nice to know of another editor who can do promos that I can toss some work to. I've had a few people recently who I had to turn down due to my current editing schedule and I hate telling them I just can't fit them in at this time. Email me if you have some time.

Alexio, if you love how easy it is to change the drives in your Mac Pro, you should look into a Drobo for storage. It's not fast enough for an editing drive, but as an archive, nothing beats it.

A Drobo is a four-bay storage device that you can add extra SATA drives while its running. If you add a larger drive into one of the bays, the size of the drive instantly grows in size. Check it out sometime if you need an archive device.

Enjoy!
Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Video and DVD Software Information Needed for the Mac (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL