The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicaldan12
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicaldan12
Hey,

Does anybody have any recommendations for a cheap and easily portable sound system, with a microphone, and music?

Thanks,
Dan
Cody Moynihan
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Cody Moynihan
I would recomend the fender passport pd 150 it comes with a hand heled mic,
or you could get the fender passport pa 80 it doesn't come with a mic thow and is a little smaleer. Both are great system's verry light and portable as well.
Cody
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Besides cheap and portable, what are your requirements? Do you want a wireless or a corded mic, what size audiences do you need to cover, do you need cordless (battery) operation, do you need mono or stereo, are you working inside or outside, and what is your budget?

With more details, we could give you more specific answers. Also, don't forget to check out the "sticky" posts at the top of this topic, there is lots of great information there. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Seems that somebody had an Anchor Explorer for sale here the other day. I use the Explorer Pro, it comes with a built-in wireless mic system, and it's AC/DC, too! Fully rechargable.

Steve
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Steve, Dan specified 'cheap'. I hardly think the Anchor Explorer would be considered cheap. Depending on bells and whistles the Anchor Explorer runs from sixteen hundred up to twenty-six hundred. Not cheap by my standards, but a real nice system.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It was for sale USED from a Café member. I wouldn't pay a ton of cash for an Anchor system, either, but I DID buy an Anchor Explorer Pro (still had the tags on it) WITH a Countryman E-6 microphone (still under warranty) from a Café member for $350. Only thing it didn't have was a soft or hard case. So..before you start blowing his mind with high prices, check first.

Steve
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1620 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
2 words...Mini...and Vox. Smile
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I just bought a Countryman E-6 for $450. This guy on the Café sold you a Countryman E-6 and an Anchor Explorer Pro for $350. Why didn't he just give it to you?
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
E6 countryman for 450.00 seems rather high. I bought on mine for like 235.00

Ken
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
$235.00 this is just the price for the mic and transmitter, right? If not, can you PM me a link? I'm looking for a good mic for my set-up
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Wandboy, that was just one of the fantastic deals I've gotten from fellow Café members. The gentleman in question is Todd75, and when Todd sells a sound system, somebody's gonna get a good deal. Glad to have dealt with him on several occasions. I did, indeed get a BRAND NEW Anchor "Explorer-Pro" and a Countryman E-6 as a package deal for the amount I listed..$350, and was HAPPY to get it!

Steve
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Wow, what a deal. You got it for a fraction of retail.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, since the original poster on this thread never replied with more info, I will put up my own suggestion, which is the PASO ProCast50, click HERE to view.

This is a 12 lb., compact 30-watt wireless/cordless rechargeable mono PA system that I have used for several years now, and found to be very reliable and useful. It will easily cover a crowd of 25-35 people outside and perhaps 50-75 people inside. It also has a AUX input with a separate volume control that will take a MP3 or CD player connection (get a $5 3-foot patch cord at Radio Shack with a stereo male 1/8" jack on one end and a mono male 1/4" jack on the other end).

I also suggest that you get the optional speaker stand, which will bring the unit up to "ear level" for further and wider coverage, as well as the optional carry case, which is water-resistant Codura and has lots of pockets for spare transmitter batteries, mics, MP3 player, patch cords, etc. Total cost would run around $800, but if you need a PA, it would be a pretty good investment, in my opinion. SETH
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Seth, not doubting what you say about coverage (50-75 people indoors) afterall you have the system. I'm always curious as to why when some of these P.A. systems are advertised they seem to greatly exaggerate their capability. The Paso's web page states the Paso ProCast50 will cover an audience of 500 people or more indoors. Quite the claim wouldn't you say.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree that the PASO claims are overstated (in my opinion), and unfortunately, that's probably the rule instead of the exception with audio equipment.

As a matter of fact, PASO claims that the ProCast50 unit is a 50-watt unit, when it is actually only a 30-watt unit. If you read the small print in the specs, it explains that the unit runs 30 watts RMS (sort of the "top cruising altitude" for audio) and only does 50 watts at brief peaks and then only for music sources. PASO does sell a true 50-watt system, but the price is naturally much higher.

And understand that I'm not in any way denigrating the PASO stuff; it actually is very well made, durable, and does a great job, in my experience. But don't expect it to cover 500 people, I don't think it will. I have used it for the past 2-3 years outdoors for a Svengali Pitch, and it does a wonderful job of filling the space in front of my booth with sound and reaching 25-35 people without disturbing adjacent vendors, while running at about 35-40% of capacity.

Running above 50% volume produces feedback for me, but then again I'm working in a pretty tight space (10-foot square) and using an inefficient but innocuous lapel mic, which is my own preference. With a headset or ear mike and more distance between you and the PA unit, you could probably get more volume with less feedback problems. But remember, the PASO only has a 6" speaker, which can only move so much air and pump out so much sound. They do sell an optional passive unit for more coverage, but it is unpowered so you're still only working with 30 watts total.

Again, I think the PASO ProCast50 is great for birthday parties, parlour-type shows, pitch work, even possibly stage work in small auditoriums of 100 and under with good acoustics. But 500 people?? I don't think so. Besides, it's probably always better to be conservative in estimating the power of your PA system, so that you have a little extra horsepower available when and if you need it. SETH
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I agree with seth. PASO is good for the smaller events. Would not use it at a school show.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
You explain things well Seth. What gets me is a companys gall in exaggerating facts. You say it can cover an indoor audience of 75 people. Of course the room's accustics have something to do with it. If Paso said it can cover an indoor audience of two hundred, I guess I could take it with a grain of salt. But 500 OR MORE! There's exaggeration, but this is ridiculous.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, I think there are two "rules" applicable here. The first is that you generally get what you pay for, especially with audio equipment. While $800 is a good bit of change, it's not a lot of money, relatively speaking, for a PA system. If you want more horsepower, it's going to cost more money. It's impossible to change the rules of physics, so 30 watts and a 6" speaker will only take you so far, so matter how well the dang thing is set up.

And the second rule is "Caveat Emptor," which is Latin for "Let the Buyer Beware!" It's a shame that we have to do business this way, but it never hurts to look out for Number One (You). As someone once said, what the large print giveth, the small print (the specs) often taketh away!"

Having said this, I also believe that the purchase of any PA system, even one you have listened to before buying, is a crapshoot. Until you are actually "in the trenches" with it, you never know whether it is going to be the best system for you and your particular venues. I was fortunate that my first guess (the PASO) turned out to be OK for me. I believe many folks probably go through a couple of PA systems before they find the right combination of power, mic and setup for them. And some even have two PA systems, one for small venues and one for larger ones -- and it makes sense. Why drag a heavy 150-watt PA system to a birthday party, or try to make a 30-watt system strain cover a school gym? SETH
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
I am going to audition the Yamaha Stagepas 300 with an Audio Tech UHF wireless mic. With speaker stands, one wireless lapel mic. and one wired mic ,cable, mic stand, and wheeled carrying case, it will run me about $1000. It has 150W per channel and the amp fits right into the back of the speaker. I have been told that for voice only amplifications in a normal ceiling banquet hall that this unit should handle 300 people.

I am also interested in auditioning a Passport Plus 250 but can't find a local dealer that has one in stock. I may have to order one from a reliable on-line dealer that allows returns.

I will let you know how my auditions go.

If anyone owns one of these models or something similar, I would appreciate your input!
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
I am going to audition the Yamaha Stagepas 300 with an Audio Tech UHF wireless mic. With speaker stands, one wireless lapel mic. and one wired mic ,cable, mic stand, and wheeled carrying case, it will run me about $1000. It has 150W per channel and the amp fits right into the back of the speaker. I have been told that for voice only amplifications in a normal ceiling banquet hall that this unit should handle 300 people.

I am also interested in auditioning a Passport Plus 250 but can't find a local dealer that has one in stock. I may have to order one from a reliable on-line dealer that allows returns.

I will let you know how my auditions go.

If anyone owns one of these models or something similar, I would appreciate your input!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL