The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best PK ring (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Makes sense. I think N-50 is about as strong as you can get and not have it crack apart at the slightest tap.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Thales: Have you seen N-50 rings being sold anywhere? The strongest I can find are rated just N-40.

Thanks!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use the Wizard for the Scorpion. I also have a ring from Supermagnetman that works just as well. However, the ring must be a size larger than you normally wear to be effective.

Jim
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Supermagnetman offers two types of magnetic rings: one has the field running in the direction of up and down the finger. The other directs the field diagonally ACROSS the finger.

Anyone out there own both kinds and who can render us an opinion as to which is better? Especially for effects like Scorpion and Relic?
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Astrocity: how strong a field can your method make in an everyday ring? Higher than N-40?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Per my previous post, I have both, and really can't tell the difference.

Jim
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Hmmm. Most interesting, jimhlou. Why would someone prefer one direction of field to another? For what type of effect?
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-01-17 20:50, marknem7 wrote:
Supermagnetman offers two types of magnetic rings: one has the field running in the direction of up and down the finger. The other directs the field diagonally ACROSS the finger.

Anyone out there own both kinds and who can render us an opinion as to which is better? Especially for effects like Scorpion and Relic?

The original supermagnet man ring is best with both Relic and Scorpion.

As far as strength goes, with the Relic you don't need the ring to be strong because it is only detecting and being moved by the super strong Relic.

The same goes for the Scorpion. If the ring is slightly loose, the power of the Scorpion will effect the ring.

So with both those effects the ring is used to detect the stronger magnet. A little bit loose and it does not matter what the strength of the ring is, the other two mags are so strong you will easily pick up the "field"

Bottom line as a "detector" the N40 is just fine.

If you want to use a PK ring to "steal" a mag-coin you may want an N-50

even for Prohibition I use the SMM N-40 "regular" ring and it works fine.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Marknem7

You can create any strength ring you want based on what magnet you use to construct the gimmick. The only limitations would be on the size of the magnet you use to construct the gimmick. Thank you for your question and your interest in my E-Book, "The Any Ring PK Gimmick". I've said it before and I'll say it again, check it out, I truly believe you will find it's money well spent - http://www.morfinmagic.com/Store.htm I believe it's a bargain at $7.95, and the feedback I've received has been very positive.

Thanks,
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Do You Believe?
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Hey Roth,
I'm afraid I was left hanging out to dry a couple of times in performing Scorpion; no response in my ring (an N-40) whatever. I even suggested, incorrectly and with much embarrassment, that the spectators were duping me by not placing the Scorpion under any of the cups! Ouch! I won't do THAT again!

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That's why I'm wondering if I need to turn the ring on my finger to adjust the field somehow. I've played around with it many times, but I can never find a position that works consistently.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 13:29, marknem7 wrote:
Hey Roth,
I'm afraid I was left hanging out to dry a couple of times in performing Scorpion; no response in my ring (an N-40) whatever. I even suggested, incorrectly and with much embarrassment, that the spectators were duping me by not placing the Scorpion under any of the cups! Ouch! I won't do THAT again!

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That's why I'm wondering if I need to turn the ring on my finger to adjust the field somehow. I've played around with it many times, but I can never find a position that works consistently.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

what size cups are you using?
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Your ring is too tight. Get a larger ring for this effect. The ring should have enough room to "wiggle" when it needs to. I use larger cups than the ones Roth sent, mine are standard 4 oz drinking cups. I can easily find it 2-3 inches above the cup.

Jim
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
My ring is one size larger than my finger, so it provides plenty of wobble.

The cups I've used are the same, as I recall, as what you included with Scorpion, Roth. 4 oz., right?

On my "to do" list is to create the same type of black paper origami "cups" that Magic Wagon provides with its Nakorn Nail effect. They're about one-half the size of the drinking cups, and look highly appropriate for the great Scorpion story.
Maybe with the smaller size, I can get closer to the Scorpion, thereby catching a reading. Is that where you were headed, Roth?

(BTW, Roth, I have to get an order in with you sometime this week for a couple of items I've had my eye on.)
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The cups that come with the Scorpion are 4 oz condiment cups, not drinking cups; The drinking cups are smaller in diameter and a little taller. I wouldn't think that the smaller diameter would make a difference, but I never have a problem finding the critter.

Jim
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I'll try smaller cups. In particular, the Magic Wagon style, which are approx. 2" high and 2 1/2" wide.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Keep us posted!!

Jim
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
I was noticing the other day how when I take off a fleece sweeter on a dry winter day it can build up quite a strong static electric charge. The static charge is strong enough for me to feel it with the hairs on my arm from over a foot away. Now the electric field from a strong N-40 or N-50 magnet has no effect on the hairs on our arms so we can not feel it. But what if a fine iron powder (like a makeup product) was applied to the hairs on your arm or hand? Each hair has nerve ending at its base and is very sensitive. Just touch one hair on your arm and you can feel what I am talking about. So if even just a couple hair respond to the Relic or Scorpion even a few hundred microns then you will feel it.

So I guess what I am talking about is a brown or black (depending on your hair color) arm hair makeup or mascara that is attracted to a magnetic (basically just fine iron particles in an oily mixture) which would replace a PK ring. What do you think of that idea?
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Angus Meats
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Angus Meats
I have been intrigued by PK effects, and I will take the plunge today and purchase a ring. Now I understand that if the ring is a little loose on your finger, it can help with the effect. Finally my fat knuckles pay off!

Thank you all for the input.
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 12:15, madkiki wrote:
I have two or three PK rings, they look like the same old ugly wedding band. At 46 I have never been married, and plenty of people give me a hard time about it. If I were to use one of these ugly pk rings then they are all going to wonder what on earth am I wearing a wedding band.

There is a book out there on How to take any ring and convert it into a temporary PK ring at your own convenience. Now I can use a very nice designed ring do pk magic and not worry about people starring at an ugly ring. My rings won't break, can be passed around to be examined, and be used for other tricks.

Have fun folks

I havent been married either ( no plans either) but I have the superman magnet and I bought two of them. They link together very solid and I use it for my middle finger. Noone ever thinks they are two rings and noone thinks it looks like a wedding ring. It has increased strength and more area for um... contact . Just an idea, but it works perfect for me.
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
smartboysports
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartboysports
About ten years ago I purchased John Altpeter's MasterRing System. It's a sterling silver signet ring. I believe the ring is still on the market, but will set one back about $150 -yet it's made of silver, heavy, and the magnet can be changed out.
The problem with most pk ring designs is that they resemble a wedding band. While a single guy might pull it off... a "happily" divorced guy can't. My friends, family, etc., would instantly notice the wedding band and think I wasn't over her Smile
The only criticism to the signet style is having to spin it around (making it look like a wedding band -lol), but it's never been noticed in performance.
I typically wear it all the time so I can impromptu when asked or needed. Plus, having it on all the time takes any heat off the ring being "new" or suspicious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best PK ring (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL